1984 DLX 4WD Transaxle

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Buyser
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel 4wd

1984 DLX 4WD Transaxle

Post by Buyser »

Does anyone know if the transaxle can be removed without removing the transmission? The bearings need to be replaced. Are they one unit as a whole or can be separated and worked on separately? Thank you
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Re: 1984 DLX 4WD Transaxle

Post by helipilot77 »

They are all one unit unlike what you would find in a truck.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: 1984 DLX 4WD Transaxle

Post by Petros »

what bearings are you talking about? there are bearings in the wheels, the diff assembly and in the transmisison gear box. who is going to replace what bearings?

You can not really remove the front axle/bell housing assembly without removing the transmission with it. The front diff and bell housing assembly can be separated from the main gear box and transfer case by removing perhaps eight bolts. though they are best removed together and separate them after the whole assembly is out of the car. It is much faster and easier that way.

Once the transaxle assembly is out of the car the gear box can be separated from the front diff/bell housing assembly fairly easy. once separated the front of the gear box is exposed which exposes the 5th gear assembly, but it stays attached to the main gear box. the front output shaft has a spline shaft that just pulls out when you unbolt the housing. You can not really replace the gear box bearings without pulling all the way apart, a much more complicated process that takes special tools.

You can not get the front diff/bell housing assembly out with out removing the trans because of the input shaft and the front drive spline shaft has to be separated.

IT is really easy to drop the whole assembly from the back of the engine rather than trying to separate them in the car and remove just one or the other unit. I have pulled the whole transaxle assembly, with the gear box and transfer case attached together, out of a car in 45 or 50 min. It would only take another 15-20 min at most to get the front diff assy removed from the gear box once it is out of the car.

Explain exactly what it is you want to accomplish so we can advise you better. The question itself is somewhat confusing because it appears that you are unfamilar with the whole transaxle installation itself. We can not really help you unless we know what it is you are trying to do.

I would not advise you to attempt to replace any bearings on the transmission or trans axle if you do not understand the difference between the transaxle, the transmission and how the whole assembly works together.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)