Heat production better than expected

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Heat production better than expected

Post by NWMO »

Hey all,

Too busy to do much lately but drive the Rusty Frog, working on addressing rust issues currently. This is the first morning in NW Missouri with "frost on the pumpkin" (34 degrees this morning) and I am pleasantly surprised by how quickly the car gets to temp and how much heat I am getting. Definitely better than the old Prizm and my rear defrost worked well also :).

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Re: Heat production better than expected

Post by teranfirbt »

Toyota didn't mess around with the heat, both my Tercel and MR2 get the inside nice and toasty.
BlackStraw

Post by BlackStraw »

My current Tercel (86 hatchback) has the best heater of any car I've ever owned - I'd challenge any 2016 car to a passenger cabin cookoff. After 3 minutes of driving, it's like having a hair dryer blasting at you from each vent.
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

Wow, I wish I knew what that felt like! My heater barely works, unless you're going on a multi-hour trip.

I think either my thermostat is toasted, or the heater core is mostly plugged...
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

the heater core gets all coked up with deposited. There are a few things you can try, isolate the heater by removing the hoses at the firewall, flush it out and fill it with white vinegar and let it soak. than back flush it. You should get out a lot of whitish scale. The hazard is if the metal is thin you will likely create a leak in the heater core, this you can plug with radiator stop leak. Replacing the core is a major operation, you have to pull out the center console, dash, heater control, ducts, etc and get down to the heater housing and pull it out and replace it.

Of course if the heater core is corroded nearly through, it would not have been long before it gave up anyway.

the other alternative that works pretty good is to use one of those flush guns that puts a high frequency pulsing stream of water into the heater core. several on the forum have bought them (requires a compressor to run them), but it allows you to vibrate and flush out radiators and heater cores without removing them. Again, if the core is marginal likely it will blow it out, but that means it needed to be replaced anyway. But it has saved me doing a lot of work to replace heater cores and radiators that were ruined by scale that could not be removed any other way. you are welcom to borrow mine if you want to drive out to get it.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

The Professor wrote:Wow, I wish I knew what that felt like! My heater barely works, unless you're going on a multi-hour trip.

I think either my thermostat is toasted, or the heater core is mostly plugged...
I thought this was my case too. Upon further fidgeting around with sruff, this temp control tab wasn't moving as far as it should have been. I popped that wire off, moved it further right and put the wire back in. Now it's hotter than Satan's booty hole in my car.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

Where abouts is the control-wire in that photo? I'm not super familiar yet with the Tercel...
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
rc26
My tercel:: 83 SR5 stock

Post by rc26 »

The Professor wrote:Where abouts is the control-wire in that photo? I'm not super familiar yet with the Tercel...
I believe it is behind the air controls from the passenger side. .
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

it is the grayish wire near the center of the picture, going diagonal to the right. upper end is connected to the silver lever are on the right end, and it pivots on the left end of the silver lever arm. the end of control cable has a spring like wound end design to pop in and out of the metal clip that holds it making adjustment easy. You pop it out, adjust control panel and lever arm to correct position and pop the wire end back into the clip.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)