New "High Flow" Thermostat

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Devin
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5

New "High Flow" Thermostat

Post by Devin »

So when my old thermostat was acting up in my last trip to the mountains I decided it was time for a new one. When I went to O'Reilly's I opted for the Murray Ultra, which is supposedly "high flowing". It was a couple bucks more. Well now my temp runs markedly lower. When cruising, it doesn't even reach the lowest line of the icon. Is this too low of a running temp?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: New "High Flow" Thermostat

Post by Petros »

that is about the correct place for normal operating temperature. The t-stat is supposed to restrict the flow to maintain constant coolant temperature from idle up to full throttle, climbing hills, cursing, passing, etc.

as far as "high flow" goes, seems a questionable claim, usually the cooling capacity is limited by the radiator. I guess if the t-stat is the only restriction in the system when at "full open", than it might help when at max demand. But the function of the t-stat is to hold the temp within a normal operating range, it does not just restrict flow when cold, but also over all operating ranges to maintain a constant operating temp. The idea is to hold the temp more or less constant, so during normal driving it should not be fully open. the only time the "high flow" would matter is when you are at the limit of the cooling system in a high demand situation, IF the t-stat is the limiting element in the system.

I supposed it would not hurt anything, but to claim it will give it more cooling capacity is questionable. It may, if the cooling system is an unbalanced design where one item limits maximum capacity.

More important is the quality, accuracy and durability of the t-stat. Hopefully for a premium price t-stat, you should be getting that.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Re: New "High Flow" Thermostat

Post by teranfirbt »

Back when I had a 3AC, the normal running temp was approx 1/3 up the temp gauge. With the 4AFE swap I don't have a temp gauge, but I do have the ecu to watch. I had issues with one aftermarket stat not holding closed at higher cruise speeds above 65 and another that never stayed fully closed, so wouldn't warm up above 130 degrees. Buying a Toyota OEM stat fixed that completely and was worth the 20 bucks I spent to get one off ebay.