What is this and is it important?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
SpaceyPuppy
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD Wagon, white

What is this and is it important?

Post by SpaceyPuppy »

I've labeled the attached photo. Am I correct in saying the output circled in red is part of the HAI auxiliary system, and the pipe should connect to the air intake diaphragm? (Might explain why it has trouble warming up and likes to die when it drops from fast idle?)
IMG_0749.JPG
Also, the two parts circles in yellow, was there anything of importance attached to these, any idea? The area circled by white seems oddly, spacious.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My car:
1984 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD Wagon
Plans:
FIND A NEW DOOR. :x
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: What is this and is it important?

Post by ARCHINSTL »

The red-circled item is indeed for the HAI system. Auto parts house sell the flexible aluminum tubing for it.
The two yellow-circled items are the bolts that hold the X-member to the subframe.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

the purpose for the hot air intake is to that a thermo valve in the air filter assemby adjust the flap that draw air from either the hot air intake or the cold air intake to maintain a constant air intake temperature. This supposedly reduces emissions.

I have mine disabled to just draw in cold air. Cold air is more dense and delivers slightly higher fuel economy, and a bit more peak power.

You can run without the Hot air intake riser without issue. Though if you want it in place as Tom pointed out, auto parts stores sell generic flex hoses for use on the heat tube for the hot air intake.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
SpaceyPuppy

Post by SpaceyPuppy »

Thanks Tom and Petros, I might just leave it in that case at least for now anyway. My conscience might make me fix it though for the sake of neatness that no one will ever see hahah.

TY!
Chris
My car:
Plans:
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

There is actually an important function it serves that I forgot to mention. If you live in an area that gets near freezing, it prevents carburetor icing. You do not have to be below freezing to get ice forming in the throttle area, the evaporating fuel and the drop in pressure behind the throttle will cause ice to form from moisture in the air. That is why the intake manifold is heated by the exhaust, but ice can still form in the carb. the heated intake air prevents that.

If you never get near freezing, this will never be an issue.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
SpaceyPuppy

Post by SpaceyPuppy »

Ah I see, well winter has just ended here so hopefully this won't be an issue from now on, but might need to get on to it in that case. Thanks for reminding me about that!
My car:
Plans: