Structural rust repair (replacement)

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Structural rust repair (replacement)

Post by NWMO »

Good evening all,

I had hoped to have the Frog get a front end alignment as I swapped wheels/tired, but I need to do tie rod repairs on both sides and will go ahead with new struts & springs now as well.

I do love the MR2 wheels.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Structural rust repair (replacement)

Post by NWMO »

So,

Since I'm going to do front suspension (going with new coil springs (for the A/C cars) and new struts (I really liked the ride height on Tom's car with the heavier springs), I figure I should go ahead and do the rear as well so the car is at it's final stance before alignment. I've got the Pathfinder springs and need to repair the "link" connection as well.

Here are a few pics of the ugliness, I am planning on overlaying the stock "frame" with an approximate 8" length of heavier channel and welding an 8" or 9" piece of 4"x2"x3/16" tube perpendicular to replace the rusted area and mount. I will cut the original out and install the new in it's place. I plan on simply welding some cut/drilled 1/2" plate on the tube for the new mount. This will "drop" the mount some as well which should help with the Pathfinder springs.

I will weld the components into a single piece on the bench and then likely clean the entire area with a wire wheel before JB welding/bolting on. Likely a couple smaller diameter bolts to pull the "sandwich" together on the frame and likely some bolts through the floor of the car and likely a backing plate of some type.

Chris

As I proofread my post, I realize this won't mean much to those who don't know how the rear diffetential and axle housing attaches to the car AND the pics are no help unless you have a pretty good idea of what you are looking at.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Structural rust repair (replacement)

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Chris - you might check out this Panhard rod link as long as you are surveying the rear end: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5796&p=42609#p42609

Also, you made reference to the (front) ride height of Goldie with the heavier AC springs: When I installed them, I still had hopes of rejuvenating the dead AC system. After determining the BIGGA bucks required (new compressor, plus Lord knows what else), I just removed all AC stuff - and just recently the condenser. Consequently, she rides over 1 1/2" inch taller in the front; the 14" Daisy's and the 185:60 tires are virtually the same OD as the OE 13'' 175's.
At the time, both AC and non-AC springs were available for the front - now I think only the AC's are available.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3547&p=26904&hilit=springs#p26904
Also in 2007, the front springs were different for the 2WD and the 4WD, regardless of with/without AC. Again, dunno what is available now.
Tom
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain