Use of the word "INCLINOMETER"

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Use of the word "INCLINOMETER"

Post by xirdneh »

This is the first time I have encountered the word “inclinometer” in a book or for that matter anywhere else.

“Besides the threat of yet another wave of attackers, Phillip’s biggest concern was the increasing list to starboard. He stationed a man at the inclinometer to report the number on the gauge every quarter hour, even if there was no difference. There was a change, though, with every update. The list was increasing at an alarming rate, eventually to more than thirty degrees, with the ship’s starboard rail completely underwater. The pair of precious whaleboats that hung there were now even deeper. If the angle continued to grow, the big tanker might simply flip over, possibly without enough warning to allow them to get off and away from the capsized ship.”

From” The Saga of the USS NEOSHO a WW2 Story of Courage and Survival at Sea- THE SHIP THAT WOULDN’T DIE”

I have read a ton of WW2 related books, well maybe a tenth of a ton.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Re: Use of the word "INCLINOMETER"

Post by helipilot77 »

Interesting! I guess in nautical language they call it an inclinometer, same as how we refer to it in our Tercels. In aviation we call It an attitude indicator.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Post by Jonymoto »

Wouldn't that be confusing sometimes - attitude and altitude. Say you are asked to report your attitude and you reported back 2.7 kms
When you lose, don't lose the lesson - The Dalai Lama
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

Jonymoto wrote:Wouldn't that be confusing sometimes - attitude and altitude. Say you are asked to report your attitude and you reported back 2.7 kms
Ba dum! Tss!
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.