Broken TVSV

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Broken TVSV

Post by Mark »

From what I've read on this forum, this is a common failure. The backstory is that I had just replaced the front seals and timing belt on my wagon and lubed up a stuck centrifugal distributor advance. During the next few days, the idle was rough and the engine would often die at idle when cold. I tried to think what could have happened during the work I'd just done that might have changed something. The timing wouldn't have affected idle without affecting power under load (which was fine). I looked for disconnected vacuum lines, but there were none. I thought it might be ignition problems from spraying so much lube into the distributor, but again, that should have affected the engine at high speeds even more. It really acted exactly like a vacuum leak. so that's what I was focusing on. Eventually, after spending a bit of spare time every day checking things I found this today:
IMG_1546.JPG
IMG_1549.JPG
On the car it was still mostly together so it wasn't obvious at first. I don't think I bumped it or anything when I was doing all the work days ago, but since that's when the problem started I must have. I had a spare one so I replaced it and now the car idles fine. My lesson is that these things are old, brittle and fragile so I'll be more careful when I'm working in that area in the future.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Re: Broken TVSV

Post by Gottolovem »

I can send you another but it's an old one it might not work
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

jb weld (epoxy) and wrap with wire
there is some stuff on that in repair guides
pictures too
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Mark
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mark »

I already had a spare (and I think maybe another one somewhere) so It's all back to normal now. I already threw away the broken one, but if it's realistic to repair it with epoxy putty, maybe I'll fish it out of the garbage and try repairing it.
Mark
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mark »

I also found this one online with a quick search: http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/H ... .45.0Zl1CH It looks identical to the Tercel one. It's for the Hilux/Hiace.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

beware alibaba. do a search and you will find many people have had their credit and debit cards hacked there. 4doorVIP from this forum experienced it when he bought TVSVs off of there several years ago.
Ridlbox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel SR 5 custom aluminum rims 4 a motor custom rims Bluetooth stereo system

Post by Ridlbox »

This is good information nobody likes to be robbed
i will find a tercel in a music video
That's my new goal 8)
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

Glad I haven't been robbed yet. Been using a sister site for alibaba. Looks like I may just have to stop ordering from there.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

If you are going to order stuff from there, go through a payment broker like paypal, google wallet, use prepaid cards or see if your bank will issue you a card just for this purpose.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Mark
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mark »

Yeah, I wouldn't order from them unless I was desperate. I was just demonstrating that the TVSVs are still available for Hilux/Hiace and they are probably the same as the Tercel's. Those models of Toyota van weren't available in North America, but they are popular imports and I see them around locally all the time. There must be some local source of parts to service them. I wonder if local auto parts stores like Lordco could get in a TVSV based on a search for a Hilux/Hiace. They are newer than the Tercels and obscure parts for them might be more commonly available.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

the TVSV where used on a number of Toyota models, corollas, starlet, perhaps the carburated trucks too. So there are still a number of cars with these devices still being driven, seems like there should be a source for the TVSV
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

There is, brand new from toyota for $150-300!
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Post by Jonymoto »

Just my 2 cents worth - seeing that the TVSV is easily knocked broken, would it be worth reinforcing the joint with some 2 parts epoxy such as Knead it to protect it from breaking in future as a precaution?
When you lose, don't lose the lesson - The Dalai Lama
Mark
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mark »

There's always the option of rigging up an electric one. I think someone on this forum did something similar. There are lots of electric/solenoid vacuum switching valves for more modern vehicles:
valve.jpg
This could be wired to the battery through a thermostatic switch with a temperature probe that could be taped to the thermostat housing and adjusted to close at the proper temperature:
thermostat.jpg
The final system would be something like this:
vacuum.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

That would be me. Just do a search on "p n 35-662" and it'll come up. I'd post a link, but can't (too stupid.)
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)