my '84 Tercel4wd stolen today!

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

my '84 Tercel4wd stolen today!

Post by Petros »

I can not believe it, some idiot stole my daily driver from the parking lot behind my office.

I can not imagine what they were thinking, it is rather beat up and is starting to show some rust, it has 300k plus miles on it. It can not be worth much.

Anyway, I will be filing a police report, but if shows up in any Puget sound area advertisements let me know.

It is a yellow '84 SR5 with alloy wheels, brown MR2 seats, and a number of other minor tweaks.

Geez, what a pain in the rear, I had to call my wife and wake her up to come pick me up (I was working late).
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Re: my '84 Tercel4wd stolen today!

Post by Mattel »

Thats terrible news Petros. Good luck with getting it back. I hope it was just a joyride and is close by.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
gnarnold
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4x4 with a tummy tuck and a nose job and now a pace maker!

Post by gnarnold »

Just thought I would chime in and say the car is rare and is increasing in value I always have people asking me about mine
I used to laugh at the man with a pinto :lol: , until I became a humble servicer of a tercel :|
gnarnold
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4x4 with a tummy tuck and a nose job and now a pace maker!

Post by gnarnold »

At least that's what I hear.anyways.
I used to laugh at the man with a pinto :lol: , until I became a humble servicer of a tercel :|
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

That sucks!

I guess the manual trans wasn't enough deterrent.
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

Terrible. I hope it's recovered in one piece. Makes me want to start buying anti theft devices for mine. :(
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
Tercel
My tercel:: 1984 FWD DLX

Post by Tercel »

Holy, that is absolutely crazy. I can't believe that could even happen :/ Who steals a 1984 Yellow manual car?
I hope it finds its way back to you soon.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I recovered it today, local sheriff called this moring about ten AM, it was about 15 miles away in a farmer's field. None the worse for wear. They took the battery, and pretty much cleaned out the tools and stuff I had in the back, none of it worth much.

One tool bagk with wrenches, sockets, screw drivers, etc.; another gym type bag with dust masks, rubber gloves, coverall and a tape measure (my home inspection kit), an extra fabric brief case I carry with a clip board, paper, pens and pencils and a cheap calculator (I bought the brief case at a Good Will store for $5), three pairs of coveralls, and really old beat up North Face parka I keep in the car for working on it in the rain, (no value, very greasy, melted in places, and torn; except it is one of the few coats I bought new when I first move to Washington in 1986, used to wear it daily, so it kind of has sentimental value, it is older than my adult children). Two machetes, a hammer, my GPS, a pry bar, a six pack of Monster energy drinks, a half a gallon jug of new motor oil, they even took a one gallon bottle of filtered drinking water, and my note book out of the glove box that has my miles and fuel fill ups records, they even took some cheap sun glasses and a extra set of reading glasses. several pairs gloves, both auto type and some winter ski gloves, and a pair of fleece gloves. None worth much used, i bough most of it used. I bought the battery at picknpull for $25. so it might be worth $5 to recycle.

worst of the cost actually is it cost me a full day of work, and messed up all my deadlines. that actually cost me more than everything I lost.

Low life scum even lurks around in our small town.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Thats good news Petros! glad you recovered it though pity about the tools. I have a pretty small kit with me these days that i put under the back seat cushion so its out of the way but two tabs and i can access it real easy. My sisters Mazda GLC got stolen once and before we could retrieve it it got stolen again.
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

mostly I lost a day of time dealing with it, that actually was the most costly part, I can not replace lost time. And they took such items of minor value, but are important to me. they took my lunch box, all the address's stored in my GPS, one of two winter gloves that I made myself 25 years ago, a beat up (very used) ice ax and trekking poles.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

How did they start it? Unlock it? Did they ruin anything?

I'm genuinely curious if I need to invest in an alarm system for my 87 or something...
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mattel »

Immobilisers are now mandatory in some parts of australia. I have one for peice of mind. There are also reinforce dead locks that you can instal as well.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I am thinking of a simple kill switch hidden somewhere, and a big knife that pops up through the seat (I just thought of that one today). Or maybe I leave a tainted Red Bull in the car, next time I will check the hospital afterwards.
MCOM

Post by MCOM »

Glad you got your car back. Maybe you should add a bloody saw, a painters overall and some teeth in a jar to you gym bag items. So at least the next time they pee their pants when they go through your stuff.

Man I hate this. A few month ago someone broke into my car and stole the USB cable to charge my phone. I talked to a guy who build a cheap wifi motion sensor with an arduino board that signaled when somebody got inside the car without triggering a loud alarm. I think it paired to his phone and to his wifi at home.
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2006 Pontiac Vibe

Post by lannvouivre »

If you make a kill switch, kindly share the schematic and component specs. I need to make one for my car and the Tercel.

Here's a good site:
http://www.the12volt.com/relays/page2.asp

Forgot to add: UGH, Petros, why would anyone want YOUR car?! j/k, j/k. Probably he just needed a ride or needed a place to spend the night. Apparently that happens frequently in some places with a lot of homeless people.
But...did you try hitting it with a hammer?