Charcoal canister removal?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD

Charcoal canister removal?

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

Anyone got pics of their charcoal canister delete? I want to get rid of mine completely so I need some step by step instructions. I just want to get it if the way and eliminate any future hassle from it. From what I've read it shouldn't hurt anything, is there any reason I shouldn't do it? I know yall say if it isn't giving any problems to just leave it but I want to clean up the engine bay some, and its always in the way haha.
Notmikeb
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 85 Tercel 5dr FWD

Re: Charcoal canister removal?

Post by Notmikeb »

You need some sort of vent for the fuel tank. Without the charcoal canister, it will just dump fumes wherever you route the hose. In practice it may not be a big deal but be aware you may small gas from time to time. Make sure you plug any vacuum lines leading to it.
-------------
1985 Tercel 5dr Hatchback
2003 Chevy Suburban
2014 Ford Flex

"I don't get it! I've cut this thing FIVE times now and it's STILL too SHORT!"
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

Ehh, I'm already smelling gas fumes most of the time ;) haha, so that won't be a big problem.

So the hose that goes to the top of the canister and runs with the fuel lines is the one I need to vent to under the chassis right? Or do I need to vent the hose that connects beside the carburetor?
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

This is the hose I'm supposed to vent right?

This is what it looks like after I finished it up, is that right?
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I vented mine to the hole in the frame rail where the canister originally drew air: No fumes, at least to my nose.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

Ok, thats what I did too, but after driving mine around for a while, I'm pretty sure I did something wrong... At first I had the big hose near the egr capped and it was running terrible so I uncapped it and it was running even worse. Then I found out a vacuum line came unhooked, so I hooked it back up and left the big hose uncapped. It still has a stumble/hesitation about mid throttle. Should I have put that cap back on that big hose near the egr? You can see the hose I'm talking about in my second picture, its capped still in that picture. Also I'm getting much much worse gas mileage, I drove 60-70 miles and used a little less than a half of a tank....