lost a wheel at 70 mph!

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

lost a wheel at 70 mph!

Post by Petros »

A rather harrowing experiance occured on Thursday 1-14-2016. A noise had been developing in the rear of my Tercel, I assumed it was a wheel bearing going bad. But it did not seem too bad, I figured I would check it when I have a chance.

I had to drive to a job site about 70 miles away for an inspection, along the way the brakes started getting mushy and the car seemed to have more drag than normal. like if I left the parking brake on, the rear brakes heat up and the pedal gets mushy. I got to my appointment (and noticed the left rear brake drum was very hot and steamy), and than completed the meeting. Afterwards I jacked up the car and removed the suspected wheel and brake drum. the brakes were covered with diff gear oil, the axle shaft could be wiggled about 1/8th of an inch. Bearing definitely wiped out, and it was taking out the seal as well allowing diff oil past the seal. So I figured I would drive it strait home and install the spare axle with bearing already mounted on it I have in my garage. It was really roaring when back on the road.

trying to keep the speed down, I drove as best I could on the interstate. I was thinking what is the worst that can happen when a bearing is completely toast, usually you can still drive on it until it is pretty bad (I have seen it before). But on the rear axle on the Tercel, the collar on the bearing is what holds the half shaft of the axle into the housing...I was wondering if it could actually make the axle fall out. Sure enough, about half way home, on the interstate (1-404 northbound in Belleview WA), suddenly the left rear of the car went "clunk" and dropped onto the pavement. Knowing what had happened, I glanced out the side window and saw my wheel (with a near new tire on it!) and axle attached, rolling along side me in the next lane! I managed to keep control of the Tercel and worked my way over to the right shoulder, dodging trucks and other traffic in the right lane. All I could see in my rear view mirror was bluish smoke, and likely there was a rooster tail of sparks in my wake from the axle dragging on the ground at 70 mph. I still had throttle and steering control of the car (since it is front wheel drive), but little braking power. I noticed the wheel and axle shaft was bounding its way across the lanes, thank goodness it did not strike any cars (or hit me!). It amazingly came to rest about 20 ft in front of the Tercel on the same shoulder where I had stopped (out of the traffic lane).

when I got out to look at the rear axle, there were flames shooting out of the hole where the axle used to go. Most of the brake hardware was gone, with one shoe still hanging on, trailing behind the car. A puddle of gear oil from the rear diff was slowly bleeding out onto the highway, like it was shot and dying a slow death.

Unfortunately as the tire and axle had departed the car, it whacked into the side rear quarter panel of the Tercel, denting it inward (not too bad, but now another dent to fix, and the worst the car has ever had in 380,000 miles of road time).

I had to get a tow home from AAA (we have the extend range towing plan). I already had most of the parts I needed at home anyway. I talked the tow truck driver into stopping at a NAPA store along the way that happened to have new axle seals in stock (I had called around while waiting for the tow truck). So Thursday night, and most of Friday was spent getting the Tercel cleaned up and back together, with new axle, bearing, seal, and new brakes as well. Good thing, I am out of running spare cars.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
atoyta
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 3 wagons now

Re: lost a wheel at 70 mph!

Post by atoyta »

You got lucky on that one, that could have been a major problem. Glad you are OK!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

atoyta wrote:You got lucky on that one, that could have been a major problem. Glad you are OK!
What he said!
WOW!
What occasioned this? Dumb question, I know, but...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Glad you are OK Petros. That could have been nasty. I thought there would have been a failsafe to stop the axle falling out should the bearing fail.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Post by Mark »

Seriously, that's one of those driving nightmares that I try not to think about. If that was mine, I'd probably have to do a good clean of the driver's side seat as well. I'm trying to figure out what happened to the axle here. So does this mean that the only thing holding the wheel and axle on to these cars is the press-fit inner bearing race? Actually I guess that would be the same for the front wheels too. So if you got an inner bearing race that was slightly too large for the shaft and so wasn't pressed on with enough force, the axle could work its way out?
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

Abt twenty years go a local guy was killed when someone elses car did that.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Notmikeb
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 85 Tercel 5dr FWD

Post by Notmikeb »

That happened to me when I was a young dumb teenager who forgot to tighten my lug nuts after changing the brakes. Front drivers wheels had been making a god awful noise after I changed the brakes but I chalked it up to me just messing it up. All of a sudden the noise went away and I thought all was well until I saw my tire and wheel bouncing down the road in my rear view mirror. Hit the brakes and the car instantly nose dived down and scraped to a halt from about 60. Took a full inch off the bottom of the brake rotor! Amazingly no other damage.

Glad you're ok. Could have been bad.
-------------
1985 Tercel 5dr Hatchback
2003 Chevy Suburban
2014 Ford Flex

"I don't get it! I've cut this thing FIVE times now and it's STILL too SHORT!"
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Mark wrote:Seriously, that's one of those driving nightmares that I try not to think about. If that was mine, I'd probably have to do a good clean of the driver's side seat as well. I'm trying to figure out what happened to the axle here. So does this mean that the only thing holding the wheel and axle on to these cars is the press-fit inner bearing race? Actually I guess that would be the same for the front wheels too. So if you got an inner bearing race that was slightly too large for the shaft and so wasn't pressed on with enough force, the axle could work its way out?
Based on page RA-25, there is an "inner retainer" behind the bearing that should keep the axle/bearing from coming past the backing plate. This is the piece typically requiring a machine shops services for most of us. The manual indicates you need an oil bath capable of 300 degrees (don't know if an oven would work), likely something I will leave to the machine shop :D .

Glad you are ok, it would be interesting to know the history behind the retainer. I suppose a failed bearing and high speeds could obviously generate the extreme temps that might free the retainer.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

The retainer plate keeps the bearing in check. When bearing disintegrates just the bearing race and the bearing retainer would be left. The diameter of the race and bearing retainer would not be much larger than the hole in the retainer plate, the retainer plate is only about 1/8" thick steel and it would be eaten up by the axle, race and bearing retainer allowing the axle to slip out.
I have installed (pressed) bearing retainers by heating them with propane torch till just too hot to touch.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Xirdneh,

Based on the third photo, the retainer is long gone :D. I think they are counting on us pulling over before it goes this far.

Do you have a press or how do you install the retainer after heating?

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2006 Pontiac Vibe

Post by lannvouivre »

NWMO wrote:Glad you are ok, it would be interesting to know the history behind the retainer. I suppose a failed bearing and high speeds could obviously generate the extreme temps that might free the retainer.
I have seen U-joint bearings melted into their races before, so definitely.
But...did you try hitting it with a hammer?
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Post by jimcrazy »

I all ways heat the collars to a dull red then drop them on, they have about .003 press fit on them
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by xirdneh »

NWMO wrote:Xirdneh,

Based on the third photo, the retainer is long gone :D. I think they are counting on us pulling over before it goes this far.

Do you have a press or how do you install the retainer after heating?

Chris
I made a homemade mini press from "U" channel. I set it on workbench. Workbench has a hole in it to pass axle through. Using small bottle jack works for me. There is video on utube showing the minipress and how I do the axles.
Key words"Toyota tercel 4wd rear axle"
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

The metal of the bearing was molten hot, likely above 1200 deg and glowing red. the sleeve ended up loose and deep inside the axle housing. I fished it out with a magnet probe.

Yes, if that sleeve comes off the axle there is nothing holding the wheel and axle to the axle housing. Not normally a problem, but if the bearing get hot enough to melt metal, it will allow the sleeve to slide off.

I will get pictures of what is left of the bearing and sleeve up soon.

All is back together and working, I also took the opportunity to replace all of the front sway bar and lower arm bushing, front brakes, struts and bearings, and one ball joint over the weekend. all of these were bad and rattling around on the front of the car, I did not want to tempt fate. I still have to replace the inner lower arm bushings, not really a hazard (yet) but very annoying, and I have been putting it off since most have found these to be a PIA to replace.

I also had to replace one rear shock, the lower shock mount was damaged from dragging on the ground and it too let loose. Synth helped me with that since he had a decent used one available and I dropped by Saturday. the lower shock mount on the axle was just barely spared from enough damaged to have to replace the rear axle.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2006 Pontiac Vibe

Post by lannvouivre »

Petros wrote:I have been putting it off since most have found these to be a PIA to replace.
Try the awesome power of FIRE? (and hammers, of course)
But...did you try hitting it with a hammer?