New Member and Vehicle

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
SnowGoose
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 Wagon

New Member and Vehicle

Post by SnowGoose »

Hi, I'm new to this forum. Been looking for one of these for awhile, except up here in Maine very few 1980's vehicles survive the recurring sodium chloride (and now calcium chloride brine spray on major routes) onslaught every winter. In our neck of the woods we're 45min to an hour from the nearest major town, so I require an efficient long distance runner vehicle in addition to my pickup truck (2009 sierra 1500 Work Truck) that sees about 2,500 - 3,000 miles a year, mostly during plow season, which runs roughly six months. My current runner is a 2000 Suzuki Esteem Wagon with only 95,000 miles on it - in very good shape considering it has lived in Maine its whole life. We also own a salvaged 2010 Chevy Cobalt (wife's daily driver) base sedan...and I do mean base - no power windows or doors, or ABS (I didn't think this was possible for a 2010 before I came across this car). We picked this up with 500 miles on it in 2011 (it had a minor front end collision requiring a new bumper cover, headlights and hood - amazing how wasteful insurance companies are to total out a perfectly fine vehicle after a fender bender, but, hey my gain-their loss). Not shabby considering, despite being a much-maligned vehicle, on a cost-per-mile basis has been the cheapest car I've ever owned, regularly clocking MPGs in the 35-40mpg range and having ridiculously available inexpensive parts (it helps that its coupe-sister is a much sought after soup-it-up nitwitmobile, meaning that otherwise perfect every day parts are stripped off and sold for peanuts to boring sedan owners). So with these vehicles (and especially my half-ton truck that I dare to plow commercially with), I am definitely a Maine oddball in this land of massively oversized/raised/jacked up male inadequacy trucks and AWD subarus and other bland crossovers...and this was before acquiring the Tercel.

I've just acquired a 1985 Tercel SR5 Wagon (manufacture date Nov. 84) with 268,000 miles on it. A nice woman in her late 70s that can no longer drive it so much reluctantly let it go. She's owned it since 1987 - it was a trade-in on a dealer lot with 12,000 miles at the time. It's been maintained by her mechanic, who was a Toyota mechanic in the 1980s and later left to run his own shop, and he has done all her service, except he has recently retired, which hastened her decision to sell the vehicle. The kicker is that the car has never seen a Maine winter (barn-stored), because she also had (and still has) a late 70s F100 3-on-the-tree Ford Truck.

Mechanically, the vehicle is very sound. Cosmetically, well, it shows 30 years of use. It was originally brown, but she had it painted a Toyota gold color that matched the color her Highlander (which she also still has)...first question - the interior is brown - what other factory exterior colors went with the brown interior? At some point in the next few years I'm going to need to paint it again, and I'd like to go back to a factory color. Maybe not so visible in the pictures, but the paint job is only a few years old and it's not doing too well - the clearcoat is bubbling and peeling already.

Second, more important question - these vehicles are VERY rare in New England. I have the opportunity to purchase a (winter-used) 1987 that still runs for $500. Assuming that I plan on running this thing for many many more years (sadly, even with a 4wd, it will never see a Maine winter unless road treatment gets switched to something non corrosive - but fear not, it will get plenty off road action on various camp roads that are only fit for Jeeps and 4wd trucks), the question is, at $500, sight-unseen, is a running wagon a no-brainer for a winter-runner/future donor car?

Thanks in advance for any assistance on my first two (and surely not the last of) questions.
-Goose
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: New Member and Vehicle

Post by dlb »

looks great, welcome to the forum. there is a thread here with a link to the factory colours that were available for each year the tercel was made so you might take a look at that to find the exact # of the original paint. as for matching exterior and interior colours, i've been surprised to find a wide variety of combinations so i think it is tough to give a comprehensive list.

if you're a nut about this car like many others here, i would say yes, $500 for a running winter beater sounds like a fair deal.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

I'd keep the gold, it looks very nice!
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

welcome to the forum,

very nice condition T4wd! keep it away from those salty roads! presuming it is a good daily driver with no obvious rust, that car would sell for 5 or 6 times that much around here. Nice find. that might be the original color for that year, there is a tag in the door jab that has the color number and you can look up what the original color was.

I maintained an Esteem just like that (but in white, with the 1.8 twin cam engine) for my daughter until earlier this year when the engine dropped a valve and crunched itself up. It had been a great car with lots of miles on it, very reliable until it gave up the ghost. The body was a little rough, and they do not have much resale value so we sent it to the wrecking yard, now she drives a 2001 civic.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

:oldgeek: Welcome to the crew :oldgeek:

I like the current color it's unique.

yes yes yes buy the runner sight unseen even if only for the tranny inside of it.
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

Welcome to the forum and nice to see members who are closer to my location, since others are closer to others! :) On your Tercel, I say very solid for that year. I do not see any rust on that example, but I might use some black nail polish on that windshield trim to re-darken it! Where in Maine are you? Do you ever make it to Bar Harbor or Acadia National Park? :)
K-Business
SnowGoose

Post by SnowGoose »

Thanks everyone.

The original color is 4E1 - Light Topaz Metallic. It's pretty close to the current color, but by no means exact. You can see the color bleeding through in a few places, and those hard to get spots that don't get touched in most paintjobs. Paint is so far down on my list right now, anyway. I've got maybe October to do a few little things - need to look at the pressure plate & cluch, change fluids, fine tune etc., and I know I won't get to them all. Going to garage it at someone else's house all winter, so I won't see it again until spring.

The Esteem (1.8 as well) i bought to get a few winters out of it - I have to do some work on it before this winter, or else there's gonna be too many rust-welded bolts underneath. Very good MPG - very flimsy car, however. Been a pain finding parts for that - not many were ever sold out this way (or anywhere, for that matter). The Esteem is a replacement for a 95 Camry Wagon that rusted itself out after this past winter.

Took the day off today to get started on her - didn't get far. Other stuff came up in the morning, then I finally got to dig in around noon. Not so much rust on the exterior of the Tercel, but some underneath as expected for the age, and a good amount inside the cabin too on the screws I was trying. Spent today cleaning out the inside (it was covered in pine needles, animal dander and just general grime from not being cleaned for 30 years). Figured I'd check out the clutch first. While cleaning I tried taking out the console box and the console over the parking brake - every truss head screw, except for the two on the front of the console box were rusted to hell. When I got the consoles off, and finally got them cleaned up (trust me they were disgusting), it took me a couple of hours just to clean up that area and get the old screws off. Plus there was a sheared off bolt that was meant to hold the shift lever retaining plate and one on the parking brake mount. When drilling out the one on the parking brake, I knocked one of the tacked 8mm nuts underneath. After running around for replacement screws and bolts and getting everything back together, my day was shot. Never got to the clutch. Tomorrow is supposed to be a monsoon (I have nowhere inside to work), and I'm tied up with work for the rest of the week, and I have a few things to do to my truck to get it plow-ready, so the Tercel is going to sit for awhile.

Hi Tercel Dude, I don't get to MDI often, even though it's not far. I'm in midcoast Maine. PM me if you're ever up this way - would be happy to meet up with someone with first-hand knowledge. The windshield trim is not a high priority either - I got to get through this winter then find a place with a garage now that I have a reason to have one.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

there is a simple clutch test you can do that does not require taking it apart: in an open area with nothing in front of the car (empty parking lot, etc) put on the parking brake hard, trans in gear, and stand on the brake pedal; heel toe the throttle up to about 3,000 rpm and slowly let out the clutch. If you stall the engine, clutch is good. If you find you can keep the engine running by applying more throttle, the clutch is slipping and near the end of its life.

Obviously do not try this very often, it is hard on the clutch. The clutches on these cars last a very long time, 100,000 miles, or even further (I have heard of people getting 200k or more out of them, not on the steep gravel roads where I live).

If you do need a clutch, try and find the AISIN brand, that is what the factory used, holds up the best and fits properly. There are some aftermarket brands that are a bit too thick and you will have to pull it out and replace it, it will not disengage. Also, replace the rear main while you are replacing the clutch, and of course the fresh trans gear lube as well (since that all comes out when you drop the trans anyway). Make sure you get all 4 quarts into the trans (there is a procedure to fill the trans axle on this forum).
SnowGoose

Post by SnowGoose »

Thanks for the advice Petros.

Will try the clutch test. I'm trying to figure out where I'm getting rattling out of the gearbox from (in gear - 1st, 2nd, sometimes, more likely when cold then not), and why sometimes shifting into 1st or R is rough.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

I have two Camry wagons, a 95 and a 92! Excellent cars.

While I love my Tercels, the Camrys are just more practical when there's a 4 year and a 4 month old running around.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
SnowGoose

Post by SnowGoose »

Especially if you have a Camwag with the 3rd row seat.

The rattle could be the cat converter, since I see that it is smack dab under the shifter. When I have someone else available I'll check that first.

I read up on a few posts and it looks like the 1st/R issue may indicate a pressure plate/clutch cover issue.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Both v6, both third row seats, one 3vz one 1

I like "camwagon"

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
SnowGoose

Post by SnowGoose »

Don't know much about the v6, I had a 5sfe - damn good motor, too bad the body was junk.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

SnowGoose wrote:Especially
The rattle could be the cat converter, since I see that it is smack dab under the shifter. When I have someone else available I'll check that first.
the whole exhaust has a sheet metal heat shield, and there is an exhaust mounting braket off the trans, that often works loose. either of these can cause rattling. it is not normal to get a rattle sound out of the trans, sometimes the shift lever can rattle if the linage has a bit of wear (mine does), but that is a different sound, and goes away when you rest your hand on the lever.

you can use the "click and clack" method of tracking down a sound: get a volunteer to hang their head out the open car door while you drive down the road, and they look under the car as you drive down a rough road to see if they can find what is making the noise under the car. finding a rattle under the hood is a bit more tricky because it is harder for the driver to see you are going with hood open so the volunteer can sit in the engine compartment while you drive the car.
SnowGoose

Post by SnowGoose »

Well I picked up the parts car a few days ago. It was an '87 in rough body shape, but not bad mechanically, considering that it still runs. I took it offroading for fun and it did just fine. Had it going up 40mph down a friends long winding driveway. Right now I'm thinking about doing some welds and bondo work to the body to make it a passable on-road winter vehicle for this winter. The previous owner(s) kept the undercarriage good by coating it in oil. The all seasons on it are better than the ones on my '85, and as a bonus it came with 4 four decent studded winter tires. Also has air conditioning (not functioning), but all the components are there to switch over to my non-AC car.

My only real concern now is that I may need a parts car for my parts car if it lasts the entire winter.