What have you done to your wagon lately?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD

Re: What have you done to your wagon lately?

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

This is probably closer, without the access holes of course...
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

Down right amazing. I need to stop asking you about everything because I'm wanting to steal your ideas. Haha. The reason my l why I wanted that cargo cover was to hide all the spaghetti. It looks rad when it's closed though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

Its all good man! Steal away, haha, I've got so much inspiration from everyone else, so I'm just glad I can give others ideas! By the way, if anyone attemps to do the wood floor, it take 4 pieces of poster board to make the template haha. And also to hold all of the boards together, I used 1/2 plywood as the base, I'll snap a pic of it tomorrow so everyone can get a general idea of what I'm talking about. That does look pretty sick with the cargo cover on! I want to be able to still use mine when its all over with, but who knows what I'll be able to do lol. I think I've already got an idea on what to do about the box though. On the bottom corners I'm going to cut out angles so the box will slide over the strut bolts and covers. Or I may can just take an inch or two off each side of the box. I don't know, I've got to get some measurements before I do anything...
lucafusi
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel 4WD SR5

Post by lucafusi »

4wdEconoBox wrote:Thanks! The only bad thing is that if I have a spare under it, it sticks up just a little bit, which is why I think I'm going to build a roof rack for a spare I might even end up throwing one of those nice led light bars on the front! I plan on using two pieces of angle iron and putting wood boards as the connecting rails. I don't know, with trial and error it should be nice!
Can I ask where you learned to do this stuff? Honestly, I kinda just want to ape the hell out of the trunk of your car.
1984 Tercel 4x4 SR5
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

looks good, but 1/2" plywood backing seems a bit heavy, particularly with the wood planks on top. 1/4" thick would do fine.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

Honestly, most of this stuff is just trial and error, stuff I wanted to do but couldn't find information on was all just guessing and hoping it worked haha. I said it was 1/2" but I just measured it and it's actually 3/4" haha. 1/4" would have worked much better, but all of the supplies were just repurposed things, so I have absolutely no money in the wood floor, the plywood was leftover from something I tore apart before burning. The wood planks are just pallet boards, I used a saw zaw to get all of the boards off, my arms were sooooo sore after doing that! Its actually not that heavy, 30-40 pounds if I had to guess, its just awkward to get in and out, but you'll see why its not as heavy in the picture. And I'm not going to lie, the bottom of it is pretty ugly, but it works and holds everything together good, and it rarely comes out, so I'm not too awfully worried about it haha.

Anndddd, I got some new tires today for my aluminum Honda wheels. I've just got to strip the old paint of the wheels and get the tires mounted and I'll finally have a matching set of shoes for baby! These aren't mine, but this is what mine look like...

But I want to strip the paint off and polish them like these are, it's just going to be a lot of work!

Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

they call those honda baby moons, they only came on one year CRX Si, very rare indeed. Highly sought after by the few that want to make their vintage first gen CRX fully stock restoration. When I was restoring my daughters CRX I ran across a guy who damaged one of his baby moon alloy wheels, and was willing to pay me if I sold some extra parts off a rusty parts car I had to a guy who need to replace a dmage one of these. It seemed I had seen them a picknpull a few times, and on craig's list, but of course when I knew someone that wanted one they were no where to be found. that was about 8 years ago. they were from a 1986 or 87 CRX.

Looking at the bottom of that wood floor, you could have left the plywood off all together and just used three or four light boards cross wise like the one down the middle. it would hold it together and save about half the weight.
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

I was told they were pretty rare, especially to the people that really were looking for them, but I mainly got them because of the price and their unique-ness haha, I paid $120 for all, they guy drove 2 hours and delivered them to my house, delivery was included in that price!

You know for some reason it never crossed my mind to do the bottom of the floor like that... Idk why I didn't think of that, like I said most of that was just trial and error anyway haha, I'll probably end up doing the bottom like you suggested though, sounds like it'll work much better! Thanks!!!
Starbug
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel 4WD SR5 with 4AC engine swap, original inclinometer, and an original hood ornament :-)

Post by Starbug »

My husband sourced some LED's (some place in Bellevue, WA), and we installed them into my dome light and front parking lights last summer. We put in a new head gasket yesterday (no other damage done, thankfully). And since it's been a few years since I was last on here, I don't remember if I'd already done this at the time yet or not, but.... I put a full stereo system into the car. Nothing extreme, just 350watts. New speakers all the way around, 10" shallow mount sub (trying to keep usable trunk space), Kenwood head unit, fresh speaker wires all around and hidden under the carpet/inside plastic panels. Clean instal, and thieves can't tell there's anything other than an aftermarket head unit in the car.

Planning to replace my headlights with HID before fall gets too much farther along. There's a place in Issaquah WA that has conversion kits and stuff. A customer of mine had his 80's Toyota truck done by them and it looks fantastic and is bright has hell. Place is called Issaquah HID or something like that. I'd like to also do my side markers and turn signals, if possible. See and be seen, that is the goal! Gets hella dark out here in the winter.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

LED's in the dome light is definitely a must have upgrade.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Bdeal223
My tercel:: Blue 1985 SR5 4WD

Post by Bdeal223 »

Let's see, I have had the car since March and have done LED's on the dome lights, LED's in all of the 194's on the outside (running/parking lights), all new instrument panel lights, new headlights, complete tune-up (plugs, wire, cap/rotor), complete front and rear brakes, flushed master cyl, rear shocks, flushed coolant system, changed transmission fluid.

Currently working one the front end, new axles & axle seals, ball joints, tie rods, new front sway bar bushings/sleeves, rebuilt carburetor, new vacuum lines, fuel filter, PCV valve, fuel tank sending unit lock ring, taking care of some rust & repainting trim pieces ECT.

I will post some pictures in the next few weeks.
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

I still need to find me some good leds for the dome, anyone have any suggestions/pictures, or would the straight replacements from the auto parts place work just fine?

Andd noww, for the icing on the cake!!! I got the paint stripped from the wheels, tires mounted and balanced, and polished them, I didn't get them to mirror finish because I loveeee the way it looks with the machined/brushed aluminum finish!

I didn't get any good close ups today of the wheels themselves, but hopefully you can kind of see the finish, they look great in person! And they make the car ride much smoother and it seems to handle much better! When my poly sway bar bushings come in from jayracing she should handle like shes on rails!! I'm still going to make casts of those bushings so maybe I can start making poly sway bar bushings for our cars(I haven't ditched that plan guys!!)
I'm about to get bashed for saying this, but after I get the bushings put in, I can get to cutting springs, 1/2 a coil at a time, until I achieve the proper handling/ride height!!! haha
Starbug
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel 4WD SR5 with 4AC engine swap, original inclinometer, and an original hood ornament :-)

Post by Starbug »

4wdEconoBox wrote:I still need to find me some good leds for the dome, anyone have any suggestions/pictures, or would the straight replacements from the auto parts place work just fine?
You can probably find them at O'Rielly's nowadays, but they won't necessarily be the brightest (or might be, it's worth checking). To get the best ones, look on ebay. Plug and play. It's a straight up replacement part.

Enjoy! :D
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

Ahhh, I honestly haven't even thought of checking ebay for any, even though I use it for everything else haha, thanks!!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I found the LED array dome light replacement at Autozone, kind of pricey at $17, but it is very bright. likely you can find something similar on Ebay for less. I know you can get the LED replacement bulbs for all of the other marker lights, and even HID headlights with built-in LED markers. Usually a great deal, not sure how durable they are. I replaced the standard composite bulbs in my wife's mazda with some Silvana super bright replacements, they did not last very long...both burnt out within a year. I went back to the standard element bulb.