What have you done to your wagon lately?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Re: What have you done to your wagon lately?

Post by BaileySims »

Sometimes you just have to make some small sacrifices. Haha. Just a temp fix until my modded bracket is finished.

Boy does this 70 amp make a world of a difference. The stock one drops down to 13.5 with the headlights on and 13.3 with the headlights off and the compressors on. Now I am at a 14.1 with the headlights on and 13.9 with just the compressors running. Headlights and the light bar drops down to 13.5 which is pretty damn good only at idle. I got this alternator from an 87 corolla I believe. Well worth the effort and it only cost me 25 bucks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

Heck yeah!! It'd be pretty cool if you could keep using an old wrench and just cut it in half and weld a turnbuckle in the middle so that it could still be adjustable haha.
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member

Post by BaileySims »

I like that idea! Haha. In other news, I just hit 200k today.

WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

looks like you can use a shorter belt, that is pushed up too close to the battery. that should also make the bracket smaller as well, less stress on it, less vibration.

I will be looking for one of those alternators next time I go to the wrecking yard. ARe there any external markings, tags, part numbers, etc that would make it easy to identify it?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Post by Jonymoto »

Does it make the headlights brighter at night? When I leave mine on full beam nobody flashes me back to dip my lights.
When you lose, don't lose the lesson - The Dalai Lama
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member

Post by BaileySims »

Petros wrote:looks like you can use a shorter belt, that is pushed up too close to the battery. that should also make the bracket smaller as well, less stress on it, less vibration.

I will be looking for one of those alternators next time I go to the wrecking yard. ARe there any external markings, tags, part numbers, etc that would make it easy to identify it?
You're absolutely right about the belt. It is real close. Funds are tight now but I definitely will make that change in the future. The alternator almost looked new when I found it and the tag was perfectly there unscathed. It is a Bosch AL219X. My neighbor just brought my bracket back so no more wrench.
Jonymoto wrote:Does it make the headlights brighter at night? When I leave mine on full beam nobody flashes me back to dip my lights.
Abaolutely. The difference is definitely noticeable. Then again, there was another thread I saw about rewiring the had light system which I have also done. It did help a bit, but now I can really see at night.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Post by Jonymoto »

You guys are so lucky to be able to wonder around in wreckers yards and pick whatever you want. Overhere most wreckers won't let you set your feet inside the yards for safety reason. You have to know what you want and ask at the counter and if it's something trivial like an electrical plug they won't bother with you.
When you lose, don't lose the lesson - The Dalai Lama
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Hi Jony, there is still this one at centre road self serve. I think this , kilsyth and Thomastown are the only self service ones left. http://120.150.69.218/fmi/webd?homeurl= ... 20Vehicles
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member

Post by BaileySims »

https://youtu.be/RWRaR18u9es
Because I was too skeptical about melting things and taking it fully apart.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

When I swapped odometers between 2 speedos, I ground the melted plastic away to remove the drums and then re-secured them with a little dab of JB Quick- like you, I was leery of trying to "un-melt" them. I've also heard that spinning the counters backwards like you did distorts things causing the numbers to no longer line up properly- true?? Let us know how it works out.
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member

Post by BaileySims »

I figured out the numbers lining up after I was done running the dremel on it. After I had it close to being where it needed to be, I attempted to put that metal piece back on and all of the numbers got messed up big time. Between each number there are black little tabs that rest in between that metal piece to keep them aligned properly. After a few minutes of fiddling with it I get everything to line up perfect. 106 miles later, the odometer and trip work pretty darn good.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

Perfect!
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
donnyre
My tercel:: 95 Tercel

Post by donnyre »

I just replaced the spark plugs and plug wires. Then I ordered new General tires from http://4wheelonline.com. Hope they will arrive here next week.
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member

Post by BaileySims »

WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member

Post by BaileySims »

Here's to the start to something I'm sure will be ridiculous.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.