What have you done to your wagon lately?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Re: What have you done to your wagon lately?

Post by marlinh »

Can you post pictures? What other symptoms can you have before it gets difficult to shift into fifth?
timothygodden
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 84 tercel 4wd sr5 lifted, modified head, delta cam, 2" exhaust

Post by timothygodden »

No picture at the moment I will try and snag one later. Other symptoms? It'd be hard to shift into reverse too. But if it's rusted in the depressed position you will have no spring back from the 5th/reverse area. It's a 27mm bolt on the passenger side of the rear housing.
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

4wdEconoBox wrote:I fixed my sticking 5th gear/reverse pin piston thing, it started earlier where it was a big pain to shift into 5 while I was driving kind of like it was binding up, so I searched the forums and found out where this mystical part was, when I removed it, it was all rusty and kind of caught when i tried to push it in. So I soaked it in penetrating oil and pushed it in and it so that it would soak up some, and I put it back in after it was moving freely. Then I greased to my shifter bushings and everything else down there, seems to be much more easier to get in and out if gears, I'll know for sure after driving it tomorrow! Shout out to xirdneh's write up for showing me where it was and how to fix it!!
Mine is pretty rusty too. I need to do what you have done, and soak it.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

Mine was on the drivers side of the rear housing, viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10286
I used that thread so that I at least had an idea of what it looked like. Once I got mine out, I cut a water bottle in half, put the pin/piston thing in it and sprayed penetration oil in it till it covered the piston completely. Then, since mine was seized up, I just pushed the piston in and out while it was submerged and got it moving freely. Then I hit it with a higher grit sandpaper to make it smooth a nice looking.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

Great, thanks for the link.
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

No problem, just as an update, my car has never been easier to get into 5th gear! Its just goes into 5th like butter!!
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

So, I've been working my butt off on this $20 sub box.... Finally got it mostly done today, I still need to seal the wood, I may slightly burn the edges before sealing it, I'm not sure yet though. Anyway, heres my progress so far, I don't have any pictures of when I first got it, but it was a dual 10" sub box, but I sealed off one hole and had to shorten it by three inches so that it would fit where I wanted it to go.

Before, kind of....

Testing my wood "beauty panels"

Wrapped it in vinyl, mounted the sub, and put the vent cover back on!

Here it is mounted and positioned in the car.... I think it looks nice, plus the vinyl I used on the box, is the same vinyl that I used for my shifter boots so it's all matchy matchy!!

Anyway, I like it, there are a few places that I'm not too happy with, but for my first vinyl covering job, I'm not gonna complain too much hahahaha, I think my next thing I'm gonna do is make a rear cargo cover, I've got just enough plywood left to make it, I just can't find the thread on how to do it, I seen xirdnehs repair guide on it, but I thought there was another thread out there that used a piano hinge to mate the two covers together, I like this idea much better, it seems a lot sturdier and less noisy, but I'm not sure where I seen the details on it at......haha
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

Hell to the yea! Looks sweet! I wish I were good with wood. I'd like to build a box like that and put my air tank inside of it. I have ZERO trunk space with all that crud back there. I still have all these parts to put on it too but I've just been far to busy to do anything to it yet. :/
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

Preciate it man! I didn't know was any good at it, but my dad has always built stuff out of wood so I guess I learned some things even though I didn't know I did haha. Its kind of fun though honestly! t shouldn't be that hard to make a box for you air tank and stuff though!! But, I think I'm about to part out one of my Miatas and buy a bag setup! Hopefully everything will sell fast so that I can start buying everything! How low does your car go, because I want to be scraping pavement by the time I'm fully aired out.....
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

Hahah! That's what I originally wanted it to do! I called the company that made the front setup for me and she kept throwing numbers at me and of course, I didn't know what the hell she was talking about. I had to measure the stock ride height and tell her what I wanted. So it goes up 2 inches above stock and like 6 below or something like that. Fully deflated I can scrape the hell out of some speed bumps but not flat on the floor, which would be awesome as hell. I was thinking about welding something on the rear that would scrape while deflated to I can as cool as those mini trucks that lay frame and throw sparks everywhere when they drive.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I see no advantage to "lay frame" where I live (except perhaps to show off to some local punks I do not particularly like), I drag the frame often enough on our roads anyway.

It would be actually very useful to go from about -1.5" for economical hwy cruising, to about +4" for creek crossings and deep snow.

how much do those set-ups cost? I actually have a 12v air compressor I picked up at a wrecking yard from a load leveling mini van. Just in case I ever wanted to try it.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

So what your saying is that you pretty much have to know all of those measurements beforehand and you have to know what it would take to lay frame then. Thats what a lot of those mini truck have too, spark blocks or something like that is what I've them been called before.

Yeah, there would definitely not be any advantage to laying frame other than just wanting to show off, which is exactly why I want to do it!! You've got to think though, a lot of cars around here are all really low, for example, Sinh Nguyen with his 350z, Race Roszell's BMW, and Anthony Lemana's Miata he used to have. I know all of these guys personally and we go to the car meets and stuff together. So I'd love to fit in a little more haha, btw, the only bagged car in this group is the 350z.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q ... 3727900552

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q ... 3833717368

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q ... 3907738009
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

well, I hate to brake it to you, but no matter how much you lower an '85 Tercel, it will never "fit in" with those cars. It would just look pathetic, like a wannabe.

If you had an unlimited budget and wanted to transform a tercel with lots of fancy body work and paint job, a really big engine with a different drivetrain (I am thinking a Tacoma engine, trans and drive train), expensive wheels and tires, and turn it into something completely different, now that would be cool. I can even see people wondering what the heck it was before the mods. That would be a lot of work just to show off your imagination, and change the Tercel into something it is not. Though I have seen worse.

this is my favorite "custom" job:

https://youtu.be/JWA7ubRGfpU
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

I'm not sure if pathetic would be the word I would use... I would use different or unique because it's not just another slammed BMW/350z/miata/etc, ya know? If someone pays $1500+ in suspension parts on a car that no one does that kind of stuff to then I wouldn't consider that a wannabe, I would consider that person to be a visionary to be honest, because he isn't running with crowd.... I don't know, I guess that's just a difference in opinions though. Which there's nothing at all wrong with that, not everyone is going to agree on everything. But I've always wanted to bag this car, even before I seen Bailey's car. His car just gave me inspiration!! Haha
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2006 Pontiac Vibe

Post by lannvouivre »

Parked the white one in front of Zach's house. Think I blew the radiator fan fuse.
But...did you try hitting it with a hammer?