1983 Tercel SR5 shift linkage

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
taylordowney
My tercel:: 1983 tercel sr5

1983 Tercel SR5 shift linkage

Post by taylordowney »

Howdy folks. My mechanic told me I should replace my shift linkage as it is putting stress on my synchronizers. He wasn't sure if Toyota still made these so here I am with that very question. Does Toyota still make a shift linkage for a 1983 6-speed 4wd SR5?

Thanks folks.
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Re: 1983 Tercel SR5 shift linkage

Post by Gottolovem »

The shift linkage on your transmission is internal,not really replaceable without the complete overhaul which is impossible without new components.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

welcome to the forum,

there are actually a few parts you can replace without removing the trans. Is your shift lever sloppy and difficult to find the correct slot for the correct gear? I can not see how a sloppy shift lever would harm the trans, it is more an annoyance as long as you are not grinding gears when you shift.

I am not sure you can get all of the parts, but there are good used parts you can locate from other members of this forum and from wrecking yards. The replaceable part in the linkage system can be accessed from in side the car by removing the center console (just a number of Philips head screws). Than you remove 4 10mm bolts holding the large rubber boot, and under than is another smaller boot (if it is still present, they tend to disintegrate with age), under the inner boot is a large circlip that you can remove with either circlip pliers, needle nose pliers, or two sharp end tools (I have used two large nails). Once the circlip is off you can yank the shift lever up and out.

the end of the shift lever should have a plastic cup on a ball, sometimes these get dry and disintegrate. I think this cup is still available, but there are plenty of used ones around that would work too (I might have one in a box somewhere). Also just under the circlip on the shift lever is a kind of half ball pivot, it should have two pins that stick out, both this half ball and the pins should be in good condition, if not it will make the lever sloppy, as will a badly worn or missing plastic cup on the end of the shift lever. Last part in the system is the metal cover on top of the trans that holds the shift lever, the slots on the cover for the pins on the shift lever should be in good shape, if they are really worn out and elongated they will cause a sloppy shift. this cover with the female end of the ball pivot for the lever would need to be replaced, usually these are in good shape if they were always lubed and not allow to get dry and rusty. There is also a thin plastic liner than goes down in the female end on the shift cover, not sure if this is available, but usually if I have to replace the top cover with a used replacement the plastic liner comes with it. This top cover can be removed through the hole in the floor from inside the car.

At worst if you are in a remote location you can take your shift lever and/or your linkage top cover to a machine shop and they can put metal on it by welding it up and than cutting new profiles to take up the slop. there might even be some way to fabricate the few plastic parts, but more likely there is something else out there that is similar enough to work on the toyota.

One of the problems with this linkage is it is unique to the Tercel4wd, the 2wd trans has a lot of parts that are interchangeable, but the linkage parts are not one of them. The same year Toy 4wd truck has a very similar linkage, but it is larger (though I have not compared the parts up close, they might work).

Sometimes I have found that if I just use a file and clean up the sloppy parts, clean it well, add grease and perhaps a washer as a shim to put more pressure on the linkage, it helps without having to replace any parts.

I may have some of those plastic parts, and I know a few spare shift levers with good pins in the pivot, so if that is what is worn I have some spares I can sell you. There are likely others on this forum than have good used parts for you as well.

good luck.

Where are you located?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Welcome to the Club! As you've already noticed, we have a great bunch who are not hesitant to share info about our little guys.
Some helpful links, some with pix:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10289&hilit=shifter also contains an internal link to part #'s.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4200&hilit=shifter
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4556&p=37116&hilit=whack#p37116
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
taylordowney

Post by taylordowney »

The shifting is not terribly sloppy and doesn't grind...just takes a little romancin to go through gears. Going over the car and its next on the list. Am I not able to get these from the dealer no more? If not shucks. I'll show this thread to my mechanic. Thanks very much for all the information. I live in Durham NC.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Not able to get them from the dealer.

Try double clutching and see if that helps.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
taylordowney

Post by taylordowney »

Just found/ordered parts on toyotapartsdeal. Double clutching is a must. I love this car. Love it. I'll share the resolve soon. Thanks tercel community!