New from TX

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2006 Pontiac Vibe

New from TX

Post by lannvouivre »

My BF just picked this 1985 5-speed from someone in Farmington, NM. In fact, I'm pretty sure he's a member on here...the person we bought it from, but my BF may have joined already.

I drove it all the way home yesterday, which was about 7 hours of driving a manual transmission vehicle with essentially no previous experience. I'm 4'10", so reaching the shifter and the clutch is very difficult for me as the seat can't go far enough forward for my tiny hobbit legs. We were outside of Vaughn when the shift knob fell off, and I drove the rest of the way "shaking hands with a cat."

We have ordered many parts for it so far, which I will list, but first: The car seemed fine. Except I drove the car 60 miles and the fuel gauge dropped to empty. As an automechanic apprentice, I assumed: 1. Inaccurate sender reading/electrical issue. 2. Oh my god that bump caused a fuel leak. 3. I am really just that bad at driving stick. Well, it turns out I was only down about 1.6 gallons. I just found viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2346&hilit=fuel+gauge so I guess I'll be playing with that tomorrow.

Anyway, we've ordered new inner tie rod ends, plugs and wires (NGK wires, denso or NGK iridium plugs), expansion plugs (clevite), rear struts (KYB), front struts (KYB), rear strut mounts (monroe since I don't think these will have to hold up to much beating), a head gasket from victor-reinz (mahle), and I forget what else. The BF may have ordered more, and I honestly can't remember everything. I hope he knows I will probably need some more odds-and-ends once I have taken parts off to inspect them better.

We also got oil, the YZZF1 Toyota filter, and some new gear oil today, as well as brake fluid since you're supposed to replace it every two years or so.

The car also needs exhaust work from the catalytic converter all the way back, and the EGR to intake pipe is...well, I don't think it's sealing. We're also getting new vacuum line and I will replace what I think are PCV or breather hoses. I also want to get some more worm clamps because I absolutely despise spring clamps, but if I can get some for the smaller hoses (as in not the radiator main hoses), I can live.

I also want to mention that in TX, inspections under the hood are...honestly I'm not sure most techs check. I would like to get a nicer air cleaner and block off the EGR opening if that's possible.

That's all for my BF's car.

MY car is a 2006 Pontiac Vibe base (FWD, automatic). The Vibe was manufactured in the NUMMI plant alongside the Corolla. It is mechanically identical to a Matrix and differs only in the HVAC system, some wiring, and exterior body. In fact, it was sold in Japan as the Toyota Voltz.

Anyway, it's powered by a 1ZZ-FE engine. I overhauled it last winter and installed 0.5 mm overbore OEM-style pistons from monkeywrenchracing, MWR-coated rod bearings, king main bearings, and stage 1 CROWER cams. This car is my baby. I have had her since I was 17 and her name is Epona.

https://www.facebook.com/lannvouivre/me ... 121&type=3

I also have a DC Sports header, TEIN S tech springs, Tokico blue HP struts, a high-flow cat from Eastern Catalytic, a welded muffler from Thrush Exhaust, custom projector-retrofitted headlights, and a tablet for my media center.

If you look closely at this picture, you can see my next intended project photobombing. Unfortunately, my BF wants to do a lot of work to the Tercel first. This is actually really annoying to me, but that's life.
But...did you try hitting it with a hammer?
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Re: New from TX

Post by irowiki »

I am definitely a member on here. Good to hear you made it back with no issues, I figured she would. Any weird running issues?

My 83 Wagon (the one we swapped the tires from) also has fuel sender issues. I've tried a few different senders and have not been able to fix it yet. I had never actually filled the hatchback tank full to know if the sender works. I bet the low fuel light would have worked.

I had replaced the plugs already (I think I reused some gently used plug wires from another car), these cars really like copper plugs, and don't do so well on iridium or platinum. How do the current plugs look, and how much oil did she use on the way home?

It is easy to make an EGR block plate (and to get a bolt/plug for the exhaust manifold), and block the vacuum lines.

You might look into the Weber carb for this car, being down in Texas and all.

I love the name for your car, we had called the hatchback "Paddle" because it looked like "someone went up shit creek without a paddle".
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

Ha, yeah, it does kinda look like that! I only noticed issues when I got home and went to move the hatch from behind the garage. I went to put it in reverse and it sputtered and died like it was out of fuel (as opposed to stalling due to my manual ineptitude). It hasn't done it again, so I think I probably just stalled out. I didn't try to start it again that night, but we drove it to a muffler shop and that went fine, then Zach did some practice driving around the block. He has a lot less trouble starting from a stop, probably because he doesn't have to get contorted to reach things, but he doesn't let off the gas when upshifting yet.

By the way, I hit a dip about four blocks away and the exhaust pipe popped off. I need to take a picture of it. I just left it alone until yesterday, so the patch pipe dragged the whole way home and I need to take pictures of it.

Well, if the iridiums don't work out, I'll just hold on to them. It's probably going to be too much trouble to return them. I have a pretty irritating (to Zach, he hates it) collection of parts lying around. I have a bad 2009 BMW tail light (it has a computer module in it that's bad...yes, a computer for the light INSIDE the light), a BMW trunk liner thing, my old stock struts and springs, my old cams, my old exhaust manifold, my old PKE aftermarket module, three push-to-start low profile mount buttons, a damaged gReddy EMU, a good AEM FIC-6 that will go into my car and its boomslang ECU patch harness, my underhood insulation, and a BMW undercover. I hate BMWs but my workplace works on them a lot.

We'll definitely look into the weber carb. I want a new air cleaner for this one since the little intake snorkle is no longer made and is rotten, so I figure I might as well make it look pretty. Plus it covers too much stuff up.

Today I was planning to clean the engine up and drop the oil pan and use silicone gasket maker for it. It's what Toyota uses nowadays and mine lasted at least 6 or 7 years so...I don't actually know what's been leaking yet for sure. I can't tell if it's the valve cover gasket or head gasket because the exhaust manifold is kind of in the way, all I know is I have never seen a Toyota with so much oil caked everywhere. I got under it and thought it was a BMW or GM engine!

Zach mentioned that you said the oil has been getting dirty right away. I think I may hold off on the oil change and get the head and oil pan vatted at the machine shop, but on the other hand I can't do anything else for the crank case interior besides pull the pickup tube and also have that cleaned. I told him that we might have to just frequently change the oil and let the oil do its job. I may go get some cheap oil to run over and over, as I'm not sure what else to do short of an overhaul.

I'm also reading that a 4A-FE engine can swap in? Would it also require a different transmission? I'm kind of a huge fan of port-injection. If I could swap in a 1ZZ, which I think is highly unlikely because the bodies should have changed considerably by that point, I'd do that in a heartbeat because it's ridiculously easy to work on.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

lannvouivre wrote:Ha, yeah, it does kinda look like that! I only noticed issues when I got home and went to move the hatch from behind the garage. I went to put it in reverse and it sputtered and died like it was out of fuel (as opposed to stalling due to my manual ineptitude). It hasn't done it again, so I think I probably just stalled out.
Was it cold at the time? Or was it hot, fresh from the trip?

If cold, these cars need to run for a good 30-60 seconds first before you drive. If it was hot, it was probably vapor lock.

He has a lot less trouble starting from a stop, probably because he doesn't have to get contorted to reach things, but he doesn't let off the gas when upshifting yet.

This is a very forgiving car for learning how to drive stick, Toyota put a very heavy flywheel on it so it doesn't stall as easy. Some members here shave a bunch of weight off the flywheel to improve acceleration.

By the way, I hit a dip about four blocks away and the exhaust pipe popped off. I need to take a picture of it. I just left it alone until yesterday, so the patch pipe dragged the whole way home and I need to take pictures of it.
Another "PO" Miracle!

Well, if the iridiums don't work out, I'll just hold on to them. It's probably going to be too much trouble to return them. I have a pretty irritating (to Zach, he hates it) collection of parts lying around.
Mind you I never tried them, I just remember reading someone saying they didn't work so well. so you might as well give them a try.

You should see my tercel part collection. That wagon behind the RV with the blown transmission? Full of tercel parts and two transmissions, an entire shelf of them in our shed, and more boxes in the garage :D

I have a bad 2009 BMW tail light (it has a computer module in it that's bad...yes, a computer for the light INSIDE the light),
Let me guess, fancy turn signal animations?

We'll definitely look into the weber carb. I want a new air cleaner for this one since the little intake snorkle is no longer made and is rotten, so I figure I might as well make it look pretty. Plus it covers too much stuff up.
Actually that air intake snorkel is in excellent shape compared to what it had when we got her (it was melted and gooey everywhere). I found one out of one of my parts boxes. I can try to find a better one for you.

Today I was planning to clean the engine up and drop the oil pan and use silicone gasket maker for it. It's what Toyota uses nowadays and mine lasted at least 6 or 7 years so...
I used a cork gasket on mine, there used to be rubber gaskets but they aren't made anymore!

I don't actually know what's been leaking yet for sure. I can't tell if it's the valve cover gasket or head gasket because the exhaust manifold is kind of in the way, all I know is I have never seen a Toyota with so much oil caked everywhere. I got under it and thought it was a BMW or GM engine!
Valve cover gasket, valve cover half moon (rear of head), distributor oring, fuel pump (two gaskets, one on each side of the plastic spacer), camshaft seal, crankshaft seal, oil pan gasket: are the most common oil leaks. The headgasket rarely leaks oil, and the oil pan often looks like it is leaking, but it is just beading around it from somewhere higher.

Zach mentioned that you said the oil has been getting dirty right away.
Yeah the PO claimed he changed the oil before we bought it, and it was dirty. So we changed it and put some good quaker state high mileage stuff, and 20 miles later it was just as dirty. Maybe try running some ATF through it, or one of those motor oil flushes (you put it in a hot engine, idle for 5-10 minutes then drain it), some seafoam in the crank case might be a good idea.

How low was the oil after your journey?

I may go get some cheap oil to run over and over, as I'm not sure what else to do short of an overhaul.
I sent you with three quarts of cheap oil to start you off!

I'm also reading that a 4A-FE engine can swap in? Would it also require a different transmission?
The easiest swap is a 4-AC from NUMMI 80's corolla or a Nummi Chevy nova. But it only nets you about 10 more HP.

To do a 4A-FE you'd need to take care of the exhaust coming out of the driver side of the head (have to get around the steering linkage). Also the computer, all the wiring, etc. It is doable, try reading this thread for someone who is doing a self swap on a 5A:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11237
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

irowiki wrote:Let me guess, fancy turn signal animations?
Not sure. The new one was $450.
irowiki wrote:How low was the oil after your journey?
Full!
irowiki wrote:To do a 4A-FE you'd need to take care of the exhaust coming out of the driver side of the head (have to get around the steering linkage). Also the computer, all the wiring, etc. It is doable, try reading this thread for someone who is doing a self swap on a 5A:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11237
That looks excessive. I think I could find someone to make a custom exhaust for a 4A-FE, and the wiring I can probably handle. I am pretty good at soldering and I understand electrical alright. If all I need is the computer and exhaust, plus possible hood modification, I think that would be alright. I'd probably get the engine harness and extend wire as needed.

EDIT: just found viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7576
THAT is also a little excessive :P
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 87a574db95
That's the Tercel album I made. I'm about to go finish removing the head so it's ready Monday for cleaning.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

welcome to the fourm Lannovouivre!

sounds like the Tercel is in good hands. Make sure you go read my thread over in the repair guilds sections on replacing the head gasket on the 3a engine.

good luck
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

I got the head off and was able to do more inspecting today. The A/C compressor seems to be completely locked up. The pulley won't turn by hand and the clutch will, but the clutch is not turning smoothly or quietly. The steering rack boots are also torn up. The air injection pipe is also totally not hooked to anything but the cat. The shifter cable also needs replaced since I can't find its boot alone.

The good news is that all the pistons look good. The cylinder walls don't look too swell to me, but meh. I can't tell if it's just rust on them from coolant trickling in while I struggled to pull the head.

I'm planning to plug the air injection pipe's hole and do away with the EGR system since Texas.

I also replaced both front window cranks today only to find the rear ones are just plain gone. I replaced the clutch and brake pedal pads.
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986DLX (K.I.A. by a Texting Driver, currently being uses as a parts car) 1986 SR5 AC, Cruise, Sunroof a.k.a. TERC II Electric Boogaloo (restoration in progress). 1984 SR5

Post by Mad_Marx »

Welcome! You're in good hands here, lots of good information and helpful people. I hope you keep us up to date on progress. I look forward to seeing more pictures :)

M_M
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11266

Further updates here.
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

What part of Texas are you in? I'm down in the Waco area.
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

teranfirbt wrote:What part of Texas are you in? I'm down in the Waco area.
Odessolation!
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

Texas represent!
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

I was born in Midland, so I can be an honorary member!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

my daughter lives in Austin, she is driving an '85 T4wd we dubbed the "dragon wagon", though she depends on her boy friend (and me) for maintenace on it. Though not on the forum, she would be one of the rare Texas T4wd drivers too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)