In Dash Voltmeter Perfect Fit

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
tazoutaw
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel SR5 4X4

Re: In Dash Voltmeter Perfect Fit

Post by tazoutaw »

Question how to solve the problem??? am also having voltage problems, after installing the HID light, i can only get one to work, sometime they both come on, we have tried running wires to battery, two relays, 30 amp fuse, I would told it the voltage is to low. ??
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

there is a thread about installing HID lights, using heavy duty wires from the headlights to a power source, and using the old wires to and switch to operate a relay. it had a wire diagram and list of part numbers needed.

I have not had a problem with my switch over to composite lights, but I am not using high intensity bulbs either. Some have had the wires to the head lights melt, and using separate heavy gauge wire with a relay solves that problem. I kind of doubt you are drawing more power than the alternator can put out at higher RPMs, but if you are than you might need a larger alternator. There are several different alternators that came in the TErcel with different outputs, they can be interchanged with a change in the mount and connectors. Or adapt a powerful one from something else, though with a 1.5 L engine it might take noticeable amounts of power from the engine.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
mrdance123
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 84 and 85 4wd wagons

Post by mrdance123 »

The only way to get accurate voltage reading is to connect the voltmeter directly to the battery with a dedicated wire. All fuse-box circuits are affected and fuse-box voltage drops due to any other loads including ignition. The voltage loss occurs in the wiring between the fuse box and the battery.

As a side note, I have added a heavy gauge bypass wire directly from the alternator post to the battery positive with an inline 50amp fuse. This greatly improves battery recharge time, especially at night with lights on, voltage on battery rises about 0.3 volts instantly with this bypass in place. Because the voltage regulator is inside the alternator in most tercels, this 0.3 voltage loss tells the regulator to slow down charging too soon since the voltage inside the alternator is 0.3v higher than at the battery. It is not either on or off, the charge rate tapers down gradually as voltage rises, around 40 to 50 amps with a nearly dead battery, down to < 5 amps when fully charged.
85 T4 Speedy Blue, SR5, 270-312k, operational R12 A/C, in use.
84 T4 Curmudgeon Copper, 188-294k, my first T4 in 1990, now Dad's daily driver.
RIP - 84 T4 Foxy Blue, 256-288k, engine died 2021, sold to PNP
Sold: 86 T2 Silver, VIN ending 5847, 194k, cherry condition, now in a good home.
RIP - 83 T4 Smokin' Gold, 270k, rusted out body, parted & scrapped
RIP - 84 T4 Quicksilver SR5, 125k, blown engine no oil, had sat 10+ years, parted & scrapped.
RIP - 80 Corolla (purchased new), 0-473k, 358k original engine, rear-ended totaled in 2003.
mrdance123
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 84 and 85 4wd wagons

Post by mrdance123 »

Here is another voltmeter, this one also reads amps:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301226800899?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Temperature gauge, same size and shape: use it for engine temp, outside, or inside car temperature, or anything else.
I taped the sensor to the head outlet tube to the radiator, wrapped with electrical tape, it's nice! reads in the 170's warmed up.
Runs on 5volts DC, insert a resistor in the positive power lead to drop the voltage from 13, about 500-600 ohms.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131346065742?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
85 T4 Speedy Blue, SR5, 270-312k, operational R12 A/C, in use.
84 T4 Curmudgeon Copper, 188-294k, my first T4 in 1990, now Dad's daily driver.
RIP - 84 T4 Foxy Blue, 256-288k, engine died 2021, sold to PNP
Sold: 86 T2 Silver, VIN ending 5847, 194k, cherry condition, now in a good home.
RIP - 83 T4 Smokin' Gold, 270k, rusted out body, parted & scrapped
RIP - 84 T4 Quicksilver SR5, 125k, blown engine no oil, had sat 10+ years, parted & scrapped.
RIP - 80 Corolla (purchased new), 0-473k, 358k original engine, rear-ended totaled in 2003.
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Post by jimcrazy »

after 1o weeks my voltmeter came not bad for $1.85 shipping included, went with the green to match all the other green dash lights ,put another layer of green film over it so not so bright
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

Best $3.50 I've ever spent. I had to buy one for my honda. I'm glad I did too. I was driving around for work the other day and noticed the reading sat at 12.1 volts. I pulled over and opened the hood and to my surprise the alternator plug and attachment fell out of the alternator. Noting a bit of glue didn't fix. That device definitely dabs l saved my buns.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

simon84 told me about volt meters that plug into the cigarette lighter in cars.

seems like a great idea for those not ready to commit to a full-time gauge so i thought i would mention it here. here's a link to an ebay listing. at $2 and free shipping, it seems hard to go wrong.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Auto-LED-Cig ... 4d2a8dd74a
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

Kind of cool if you wanted to check what your alternator is putting out. Quicker than going to find your voltmeter and you don't need to pop the hood.
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

Anyone with one of these ever get this message? I know something weird was going on but I don't know exactly what.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.