Air ride suspension?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Re: Air ride suspension?

Post by BaileySims »

4wdEconoBox wrote:This is awesome!! Now I just wish there was a cheaper way to do this! I would love to do something like this with my little terc, but I doubt I'll ever have that much extra funds for to go with this setup...haha. Great job though!!
Appreciate it! There is a definite cheaper way to do it I'm sure. I think with about 800 maybe a little less you can get it to look about the same. I just went all out on the expensive stuff so I wouldn't have any problems down the road. There was another thread somewhere but I don't think the guy ever went through with it. They sell bags that replace the spring in the existing strut setup and for the rear all you need is bags and have someone weld some cups on it. I definitely like how everything is coming out and I just can't wait until I am completely done with it. All I need is to just paint the rest of the car, get some rims, my roof basket and an led light bar. It's going to be so damn beautiful. Haha!
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

Yeah, if I just shopped around for parts and picked them up as I found them and custom fabricated them to fit I think I could do it really cheap. My fathers been a welder/fabricator since he was 18 so that would could out any shop expenses! The hardest thing would be finding parts that were close enough to fitting! Once I get my motor rebuild I think this is the next thing that I will start looking and saving up for.

I can't wait to see yours when its finished, I love being able to see the progress as it moves along! I having a feeling that its gonna be sick nastyyy! haha Good luck with everything man and keep up the good work!
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member

Post by BaileySims »

My rims just came in today. Going to test fit these bad boys tomorrow. 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

Very very nice I'll bet those were pricey
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member

Post by BaileySims »

Gottolovem wrote:Very very nice I'll bet those were pricey
$565 free shipping. I'm just praying to the rim gods that they will fit. I'm not entirely sure if I measured everything correctly.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member

Post by BaileySims »

Just had to shave a bit off of the caliper brackets but other than that, they fit so well that I almost cried. Haha. Just have to see what tires I need now. :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

Thats sick nastyyy!!!
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member

Post by BaileySims »

It's about 85% done so far. Just need to touch up the paint, clear coat, finish the body work on the hatch and replace the now failing alternator. Someone mentioned that work a little bit of work that the alternator from a 22r would fit? I need more powahh! I plan on adding an led light bar along with everything else electrical that I have added and I don't think the stock one will keep up with what's in there. Hopefully about another month or so and it will be completely done.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

if I recall, yes it is the 22r alternator, they just had to change out the pulley. Bracket mounted bolted up the same. I do not recall if the connector was an issue or not, but that is also easy to swap out. I would make an adapter so I do not have to change the connector in the car in case you ever want to switch back.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Notmikeb
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 85 Tercel 5dr FWD

Post by Notmikeb »

22r alternator works fine. Connectors are the same just swap the pulleys. Only issue is the mounting "ear" is at 11 o'clock instead of 12. Slight bend to adjustment arm bracket made it fit fine.
-------------
1985 Tercel 5dr Hatchback
2003 Chevy Suburban
2014 Ford Flex

"I don't get it! I've cut this thing FIVE times now and it's STILL too SHORT!"
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member

Post by BaileySims »

Beautiful. Is there a certain model year that I could go down to the pick and pull to get a 70amp alternator from?
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
Notmikeb
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 85 Tercel 5dr FWD

Post by Notmikeb »

When I got mine I asked for one for a 1989 pickup with the 22RE. Running that search on eBay shows me the same part # I got and a list of compatible vehicles (great trick by the way if you ever want to check which vehicles have cross compatibility of something without access to Hollander lists).

Looks like any truck or 4runner from 85-92 should get you a compatible alternator though some list 60a instead of 70a as the OE spec so that's something to check as well.

The part # I purchased was 14668a if that is helpful.
-------------
1985 Tercel 5dr Hatchback
2003 Chevy Suburban
2014 Ford Flex

"I don't get it! I've cut this thing FIVE times now and it's STILL too SHORT!"
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member

Post by BaileySims »

Did the clear real quick today. Still need a bunch of touch ups and finish the hatch. Just do me a favor and don't zoom in. Haha!
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

i really like the colour-matched bumpers. makes it look like a totally different car. and while i'm not wild about the low look, i love it jacked up.

what size of tires are those?

incredible work so far, BS.
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member

Post by BaileySims »

dlb wrote:i really like the colour-matched bumpers. makes it look like a totally different car. and while i'm not wild about the low look, i love it jacked up.

what size of tires are those?

incredible work so far, BS.
Thanks dlb! I had a friend of mine photoshop a picture of a white tercel I got off of Google to color match the bumpers and I totally like how it came out so I had to do it. The tires are 195 50. The 55's didn't fit while the car was sitting lowered.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.