General...? Sure!

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

General...? Sure!

Post by Typrus »

Hey all, just pining for my old girls... Saw a minty silver 84 on I-25 the other day and got a bit misty-eyed....

Yes I'm alive for all you older members, I've just been living the humdrum 1995 Camry life all these years... Not to say my soon-to-be 2 year old daughter, 7 month old son, and wonderful wife haven't spiced up my otherwise driving-boring life. Ahh yes I miss the care-free days of abusing my old 84 and having her love every moment of it back.
I took the sage advise and molding that many of you did in my early years (remember when I swapped the 86 engine into the 84? No...? Nevermind heh) and formed it into a professional career in the "mechanic-ing" field. Albeit yes I am now 3rd-Shift Foreman at a Kenworth dealership, I have many of you to thank for your patience and advise in helping mold me.

I hope people are still Sea-Foaming their old gals and performing vacuum-bypass surgeries.

Anyway... Best wishes
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: General...? Sure!

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Hey - GREAT to hear from you again!
Like others, I've wondered what path our Grasshopper took.
Wow - two kids! Welcome to the world!
It seems you turned out well.
Gotta say, it was fun reading many of your zealous and ambitious posts and wondering...
The Club has come a loooong way in comments and tips and certainly in the number of members since your heyday. And is still a very civil place.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

That is great to hear!
Turned out well? Thanks! My wife might argue that from time to time though haha!
It's been an adventure. Having kids, owning a house, being married, all of that.. Wears on you but is greatly fulfilling too!

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Hey Typrus,

Naturally we never met as I joined much later, but I ended up going back and reading a lot of your topics and posts! I actually think of you every time we're driving through denver in our T4 (or T2) being one of the few Denverites on the forum here.

We're actually in the process of picking up a 1992 Camry wagon with a blown head gasket (3VZ-FE I think). I had a 2001 camry before this. Great car!
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Welcome back! Didn't you post a poetic tribute to the T4 years ago? I think it was lost in a server move. Hopefully that was you, and can repost it.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Hey Typrus, good to hear from you! There has sometime been a posting on here where I've wondered what your response would be. Hope you get enough time to get a project car sometime! cheers!
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

I'm sure I did but I've had 2 computers die in the interim and can't find anything.

I'm glad any contribution I made would have any impact. I mean heck I think my first post was made back when I was trying to get the old 86 roadworthy for when I got my license. I've come a bit of a ways since then, in large part early on thanks to this community.

Time is definitely something I wish I had in greater supply. That and sleep, however 3rd shift and 2 kids under 2 does detract a bit from rest. But it is worth it.
I'm still thinking about the Tercelerator, still probably a ways off though.

ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Being a Dad makes you grow up pretty darn fast.
Things and plans ofttimes fall by the wayside, some to be realized many years from now and some never. Such is life.
Being a Dad is frequently frustrating ('specially when they reach the age when you 'member the things you did as a teen and hope they never learn...) - but ultimately, being a Dad is worth it.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Very worth it. At this point I have 10 nieces and nephews under 9 in addition to my babies. Aggravations abound however the good more than outweighs the bad by a wide margin.
My daughter is incredibly spunky and sassy but she has her daddy's tender heart and she is so stinking smart. Little man is the happiest baby I've ever seen and is the michelin man. In a word, chunky lol... He's learning very fast and growing even faster. It's mind-boggling.

Yeah, I don't really want to hear stories of driving at 112mph in a Terc downhill in the mountains... I recently couldn't even bring myself to break 90 on the same roads in a sportscar.... Young, dumb, and "invincible"... Let alone my other shenanigans.

ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Typrus wrote:Yeah, I don't really want to hear stories of driving at 112mph in a Terc downhill in the mountains... I recently couldn't even bring myself to break 90 on the same roads in a sportscar.... Young, dumb, and "invincible"... Let alone my other shenanigans.
Welcome to being a Dad - and your fervently hoping your friends never mention your "adventures" to your kids...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Typrus wrote:
Yeah, I don't really want to hear stories of driving at 112mph in a Terc downhill in the mountains... I recently couldn't even bring myself to break 90 on the same roads in a sportscar.... Young, dumb, and "invincible"... Let alone my other shenanigans.

Dang, I've only ever hit 90 once... briefly, the wagon didn't like that much. :lol:

Now I did hit 120 in a 95 neon once :mrgreen:
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k