What kind of oil do you recommend?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
atoyta
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 3 wagons now

Re: What kind of oil do you recommend?

Post by atoyta »

So peening the piston like that makes it tougher eh? Don't let the others know of this or everyone will want peened pistons. :P
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

I'll pull it apart and take some pictures of the springs tomorrow. No idea how they wear, but two look like they were exposed to extreme heat causing them to distort and break. It was definitely a piece of one of the springs as it was clear to see where the part had broken off from. I'm sure it fell down into the cylinder when I was cranking it over. It ran fine for the two days after fixing everything as well. I should have taken pictures of what I pulled off of the cylinder, I'm sure someone at work did. I'll look around for them as well.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

what you say does not make any sence at all "fell down into the cylinder when I was cranking it over", how? how could a part from the valve train "fall" into a cycliner? what the head off? did you leave that piece of metal on top of the piston when you put it together?

With the engine assembled nothing from the valve train can get into the cylinder (unless the spark plug is out and a broke piece got sucked in). the combustion chamber is isolated from the oil lubricated parts, it is only open to the intake and exhaust manifolds (only when the valve is open). The only way it would make sense is if the engine was all apart and you were careless on the assembly. If everything inside the engine is not absolutely clean during assembly, it will not run for long anyway.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 tercel v20 B/T (The ROCKET)98 toyota t100

Post by larry mcgrath »

I totaly agree with Petros , there is no way in Hell for a piece of any thing to enter the combustion chamber other than the intake ,or exhaust port,--piece droped down throat of carb or through spark plug hole. you assembled this with a piece --washer or whatever in the head .that was sucked into the combustion chamber when the intake valve opened . There is NO other way for this to happen. You screwed up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like they say sh!t happens........... I worked on multi million dollar aircraft for 50 years,none of what I just posted is fiction. Larry
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Bailey,

we are not trying to be critical of you, we are trying to understand what happened and how we can help. what you say does not make any rational sense unless there is something you are not sharing with us. no part of the valve train can ever enter the combustion chamber unless a peice of the head of the valve breaks off. No way a string on the rocker can do that. it would have to pass through the head, the only way that can happen is if it goes down the intake or into the spark plug hole.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Hey-
No criticism, this is actually a more common misconception than some may think. We had a driver think a rag in his intake could make its way through his turbo, through the intake heater grid, through the valves, past the rings and plug his oil pickup all the while being fully intact. It's impossible but it goes to show the misconception does indeed exist.

Think of it this way, if a part the size of a broken off spring could readily get from the valvetrain into either the intake or cylinder, wouldn't you either burn large amounts of oil all the time or lose compression through samesaid hole into the crankcase?

No need to be annoyed or frustrated, something broke in the valvetrain and you had something hammering the piston. If the head was off twice, it's possible a small nut fell in the first time, or if the intake was off something small could have fallen in there, or even possible a part of carb came apart.

Glad it's running well!

Oh, and for a while there Silver was loving Valvoline Premium Blue Ultra 5w-40 synthetic diesel oil.

I think getting ahold of some LubroMoly MOS2 and running it with the oil would be a good option, I run it in my vehicles. Molybdenum Disulphide is your friend.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew