Wheel Spacers! Info please.

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
HomeSkool
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 87

Wheel Spacers! Info please.

Post by HomeSkool »

Hey guys.
Usually I post about my Yellow Tercel, but this time I want to talk about my second 4wd tercel. It's called the Ratmobile. One winter it was stored in a field. A rat made it home and destroyed the interior. Even to the point where it had a nest in the roof liner. Every part of except the door trim was removed and burnt. It's like driving around a tin can. But alas. I'm not done with her yet.

I have a spare set of fairly cool 5 spoke rims and tires that I need to burn off. I want to throw them on the Ratmobile. I want to make it funky and wide looking. I want to find the biggest wheel spacers I can for the Tercel bolt pattern.

My question is.
1. Anyone have any experience with them on tercels? (I doubt it)
1. How big can I go?
2. Where can I order them online

I already know what half the members will say. It's for style. Not for functionality! 8)
Thanks everyone!
danzo
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 6 speed

Re: Wheel Spacers! Info please.

Post by danzo »

I have put generic Autozone 1/4" spacers on my T4 with no ill effects. I was curious if a given set of wheels/tires would even fit. These were simply a slab of metal between the hub and wheel, non-hubcentric, not bolted to the hub, and I didn't do any aggressive driving with them. Companies like this http://www.uswheeladapters.com/?utm_sou ... gn=bingads will sell you whatever you want, but expect to pay mucho deaux for a set.

Not sure what you mean by "style v. functionality". If you have the pimped wheels on your car (style), then you will drive it somewhere at some time (functionality). Overall I wouldn't recommend spacers, especially not for wearing out a set of tires (that won't be used for functionality purposes anyway!). It's cheaper and wiser just to sell your wheel/tire set, skip the spacers and get some useable wheels/tires that don't need spacers. Just my $.02.
It's a scientific fact that in a twin engine aircraft, when one engine fails there is always enough power in the remaining engine to make it all the way to the crash site.
HomeSkool
Top Notch Member

Post by HomeSkool »

Thank you for the quick reply!
To correct myself I don't need spacers for the tires. I want them for an aggressive look and to throw the tire outside of the wheel wells. I was hoping to find at least a 2 inch spacer. The ones that need to be bolted on themselves. Not the simple metal spacer.

I have a few daily drivers already. The "Ratmobile" is simple a spare rusty tercel. This is just a silly project for fun factor. The rims are a spare set for my yellow Tercel. Yellow Tercel is off the road for the next few years as I install a 4Age into her. So I wouldn't be selling these rims anyways. Just trying to have a little fun here.

And thanks for the link to that company. It looks like the spacers I'd are a little over a hundred bucks. I'd have to think hard if I want to spend that money. 2" spacers with such wide tires I may not even be able to fully turn the front wheels without hitting the fenders.

Do we know what the bolt pattern specs are? I'm googleing and finding mixed info.
Thanks again for your quick response Danzo
KZ750
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel sr5 4wd

Post by KZ750 »

The bolt pattern is 4x100 metric And the center bore is 54.1.
Just a heads up, it might be a good idea to buy hub centric spacers when pushing the wheels out That far. This will ensure that your wheels are centered. I think the idea would be fun. You can always trim the front fenders a little too, since it is ratty.
HomeSkool
Top Notch Member

Post by HomeSkool »

Thanks for the info KZ750!
I'll try to post some pictures of the project before too long. It's always nice to see a few before and after photos. 8)
KZ750
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel sr5 4wd

Post by KZ750 »

No prob man. I love this kind of stuff. Cant wait for pictures.
HomeSkool
Top Notch Member

Post by HomeSkool »

I've started a new post for the RatMobile project. I'll be posting photos in it shortly.