Rear shock absorbers wearing out unusually fast

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Toyotise
My tercel:: 1986 SR5

Rear shock absorbers wearing out unusually fast

Post by Toyotise »

The dear Tercel is burning through rear shock absorbers faster than we can drive down the rough washboarded dirt roads. First Set of made in Mexico KYB’s were shot after 2000 miles. The latest set of NAPA made in USA only made it 800 miles. With new shock absorbers we get some time of good comfortable driving then it slowly starts to give big rattles and clanks going over bumps, and/or the rear axle starts to bounce and rattle up and down rapidly when braking.

We’re doing everything we can on our end to mitigate excessive wear (driving reasonably on said rough roads 15-25 mph). I’m wondering if maybe we have weak springs? And they’re allowing too much travel which is wearing out the shock absorbers prematurely? The car has 265,000 miles on it and it’s been driven for its intended purpose on unimproved roads for a good percentage of its life. The bushings in the rear suspension are all there, they are not in excellent shape but they’ve got some life yet.

I think I may need some fresher rear springs.
Does this sound like an accurate diagnosis?
Should I stick with stock springs or upgrade to something heavier? (Cut down Corolla springs?, Pathfinder springs?)
Considering going with some heavier duty air shocks?
Maybe some urethane bushings (panhard rod) would help?

What do you all think?
Any similar experiences? Any solutions?
0B542D21-8C21-4B4F-8AC2-CDCF10D09983.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keep it Stock; Live Long.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Rear shock absorbers wearing out unusually fast

Post by NWMO »

I would guess your rear springs are allowing to much motion. I’m running the Pathfinder springs for lift and have a longer mono-shock. I think I have about 50k miles on the set up and I still like how it rides (more truck like).
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
drafting3d
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 100% original

Post by drafting3d »

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/13248896214 ... ctupt=true
I was going to get these but started fiddling with weber (and now searching for 3.5 psi fuel pressure regulator)
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

There are cheaper options for the front, look at Moog 81043.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Toyotise
My tercel:: 1986 SR5

Post by Toyotise »

Thank you for the feedback everyone. I’ll have to look into all the options as far as springs go. I’m not really looking to alter the ride height, but the ones on there for 265k were well used on dirt roads for many years and maybe some tired out.

I got some helpful feedback from the Facebook group as well. Newer stock/ better aftermarket springs were mentioned as well. The general consensus of experience is some adjustable air shocks like Monroe MA700 will help for the rear.
Keep it Stock; Live Long.