Passed CA smog check once again!

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
john
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 85 toy tercel 2wd wagon (formerly a 4wd automatic)

Passed CA smog check once again!

Post by john »

[img][img]
001---Copy.gif
Hello! Had not posted in awhile. Happy to say that I did indeed pass California's strict smog test once again! Will try to attach an image of the report. Anyway, I was way under the max limits.

Had to fix an exhaust leak in the bend of the head pipe. Other than that i fixed a rough idle. Discovered that the PCV was hollow which resulted in a huge vacuum leak. $1.99 fixed that.

I joined this group back in 2011 when I was having a hard time passing the smog test. That time it was the AAP letting gas into the vacuum system. I doubt that I would have figured it out without this group, so thank you once again!

Have not seen another 4wd Tercel on the road in years. Wanted the group to know that mine still is!

Sincerely, John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by john on Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Passed CA smog check once again!

Post by NWMO »

Hey John,

Congrats, keep driving her! If you take a pic of the report on your phone, you can attach that easily. If you prefer to scan it into an img file type, you should be able to attach that as well.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
john
Top Notch Member

Post by john »

Thanks Chris! I forgot to say that when I took my car to the smog shop that I have used since 2013, they were afraid of my brakes and would not put it on the dyno. My brakes are excellent, however I did disconnect the booster some 15 years ago because of an internal vacuum leak. So the brakes are manual which has been fine for me. The 60+ year old tech who tested the old carburetor cars no longer worked there, and this young pup of a tech had never experienced manual brakes and was not willing to try. So I went back to a shop which used to test my car. They were happy to see my Tercel and love the older cars. It all worked out for the best, and if anyone in Fresno needs an honest smog shop, use Michael's Smog, Olive and Van Ness ave.
Sincerely, john
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

that is really remarkable that all those emission control gadgets are still working within specifications after 34 years.

Hey John, I might have a extra brake booster sitting around in a box somewhere, you can have it for the cost of shipping if you want it. I always upgrade my Tercel4wd brakes to use the MR2 booster and master. so I have no plans to use the stock one, presuming I still have it.

If it can fit in the flat rate box and you can have it in a few days for less than $20 for shipping.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
john
Top Notch Member

Post by john »

To be fair, I have replaced the cat several times, but not since replacing the AAP valve. Before replacing the AAP in 2011, I would have a smog check... fail the test... go to a muffler shop... get a new cat... go directly back to the smog check... pass by a SLIM margin. Within 2 to 4 years I would need another cat. At least they were cheap back then. Would sure hate to buy one now, I'm guessing nowadays a new catalytic converter would be $200+.

Other than that, I remember cleaning the carbon out of my EGR 10 or 15 years ago. Vacuum hoses get replaced every once in awhile.

My car has about 325,000 miles on it. This engine has approx 160,000 miles on it. I got it 15 or so years ago at Pick N Pull for less than $100 (half price sale).

The offer of a brake booster is very kind Petros. Will take you up on your offer if you have one. Re-manufactured ones are expensive and used ones are rare. john