Rebuilt Transaxle Source

This is a forum JUST for posting part numbers.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Rebuilt Transaxle Source

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Petros' initial link:
http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog ... ssion.html - scroll on down to our cars.

The enquiry email I sent to the Las Vegas company:
"Hello -
Thinking ahead here...I am a moderator of the Tercel 4WD Wagon Club, at http://www.tercel4wd.com. The 6-speed transaxle is about the only weak point of the car and they are getting hard to find in a salvage yard. I note you list a rebuilt for the Z54 version, MTTOY201, for $1150 + core (this has the '85-'88 diff ratio). Do you actually have these in stock, or is this rebuilding my core? If so, what would be an estimate on the turnaround time? Mind, I do not need one now, but thought I'd publish the info on our site.
OT a bit, but I presume this comes with a new rear tailshaft housing bushing?
THANKS for your attention.
"

What I received from the company:
"The unit is not in stock and cores are hard to find. We can rebuild your core depending upon the problem the cost range is $650.00 to $1350.00 plus freight. New bushing would be included.
Thanks
Bart
"

It is interesting that my email quoted the listed price of $1150 and Bart's reply quoted the $1350 max price which has now replaced the $1150 on the list...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
old blue jeans
My tercel:: 1985 SR5, standard transmission

Re: Rebuilt Transaxle Source

Post by old blue jeans »

I have an 85 AWD with the 6 speed standard trans. Pretty sure my synchronizers are starting to go, because I'm having a hard time getting into 2nd and 3rd, and downshifting is nearly impossible into any gear. I can easily rev-match, but it seems like the trans would be best replaced. I hate the idea of letting this car die, so I'm wiling to rebuild. Is a rebuild the best option? Has anybody used this rebuild source? With any luck?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

all my cars have worn synchros to one degree or another, and like you mentioned, rev-matching is easy--much easier (and cheaper) than rebuilding or replacing a trans. as long as you are careful about shifting so as not to do further damage and stay on top of replacing your trans oil, the trans should still outlive you yet. i find that how i drive and shift has the most impact on trans wear so i drive and shift slow and easy, aiming for zero grinding or forcing into gears.

you could also try some different trans oils to find one that allows for easier shifting but everyone here will recommend something different. it's all personal preference so you have to take each suggestion with a grain of salt and end up choosing what you think sounds best.

i would focus on those two things and only rebuild/replace the trans if it got to a point where it was undriveable.
2rude84
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota tercel sr5

Post by 2rude84 »

I have rebuilt my 1987 6 speed but as soon as I installed it and tested the gears I can't get 5th or reverse. I'm hoping that it's nothing too serious. But does anyone know where I can get the clips that hold the gears on the shafts. looks like they are discontinued. Trans was shot on purchasing car. Luckily for me the guy I bought it from had a spare parts trans and all my broken gears were still good on his. Waiting for a couple weeks to rebuild again. Just trying to find parts is hard.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

welcome to the forum,

forum member Xirdneh is the trans expert here, he has rebuilt several and there is a link to youtube video for rebuilding the T4wd transmission. the link is over in the repair guides section.

I think it sounds like the shift forks are misaligned so it prevents you from getting the lever into them. As I recall they can be popped back into place without disassembly. hopefully Xirdneh will chime in with instructions.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
2rude84
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota tercel sr5

Post by 2rude84 »

I was wandering if there is cross referenced parts for the trans they may use on other applications like the c clips. It will go into 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th but grinds like it's not all the way in 5th and reverse won't even drop over like it's blocked
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

i tried to get new clips with no luck
a tranny guy showed me how to reshape them using channel lock pliers
works great
i have reshaped many of them
by reshape i mean get them back to original or slightly tighter shape.
best way to get parts is from a two wheel drive tranny 83-88
also i may have parts you need but you will have to take the tranny apart
better to find a good replacement tranny and fix the broken one for use as spare tranny
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.