OE Steering Rack Mounts & Numbers

This is a forum JUST for posting part numbers.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

OE Steering Rack Mounts & Numbers

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Toyota calls these "grommets." We would call them "bushings" (as does the FSM) and some parts stores call them "insulators."

They are the same for power steering and manual steering. These fit under the clamps which hold the rack to the X-member.

LHD Driver side......(left)...45516-16030.....$ 8.50
LHD Passenger side (right)..45517-16030.....$ 7.50

Above were prices from Butler in late 2006 - MUCH cheaper (and OE) than from any chain parts store!
And - some parts stores show the left as OK for the right side as well - it ain't!
Also see https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php? ... ing#p16379
Tom M.

EDIT - I just discovered that these are the same as on (at least) Gen I Mr2s (AW11).
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Re: OE Steering Rack Mounts & Numbers

Post by SynthDesign »

Ummmm.. Stupid observation, but Manual racks and Power steering racks use different bushings due to the different diameters of the rack itself. The power rack is noticeably larger than the manual rack, both on the corolla and tercel.

The AW11 MR2 manual rack bushings are compatible with both the AE86Corolla and AL25/21 Tercel Manual racks.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

You know - the difference you mention in the bushings is what I thought, just based on photos of the different racks. But before I posted the above "same for power steering and manual steering," I did double-check the numbers in the EPCs available here. Butler also has the same info.
I'm with you,though - if you need manual rack bushings/insulators/grommets - make sure the parts guy knows this - and you can return them if incorrect...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986DLX (K.I.A. by a Texting Driver, currently being uses as a parts car) 1986 SR5 AC, Cruise, Sunroof a.k.a. TERC II Electric Boogaloo (restoration in progress). 1984 SR5

Post by Mad_Marx »

I'm looking for replacement bushing (rubber mounts/vibration isolators) for a power rack and pinion in my 86. My local parts stores only list one number for the part, and the two parts are very distinctly different looking. The one on the driver's side is D-shaped, the one on the passenger's side is O-shaped. I had them try running the Tyota Part numbers 45516 4551616030 GROMMET, STEERING RACK HOUSING, NO.1 and 45517 4551710010 GROMMET, STEERING RACK HOUSING, NO.2 and got nothing. Does anyone have current available parts numbers? or am I headed to the dealership?
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I encountered the same situation as you a few years back (when I made the initial post). Neither AutoZone nor Advance nor O'Reilly had the correct mounts - and they cost a LOT more than (at least) Butler.
See the link in my first post above.
Those Toy numbers in my first post are still correct - maybe too many numbers were entered in the parts stores' searches.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986DLX (K.I.A. by a Texting Driver, currently being uses as a parts car) 1986 SR5 AC, Cruise, Sunroof a.k.a. TERC II Electric Boogaloo (restoration in progress). 1984 SR5

Post by Mad_Marx »

just called my local Toyota Part-Slinger, yep, those are good numbers $11.95 for one $14.50 for the other... Thanks, looks like I have my solution :)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

There are some stiff "performance" polyurethane bushings available for the MR2, should also fit the Tercel rack. Might increase some vibration to the steering wheel, but should improve crispness of steering response (the Tercel handing could use all the help it could get). They likely cost a bit more than Toy dealer, but there are available.

Bet you did not know there were performance steering rack bushings available for the TErcel!
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Petros wrote:.Bet you did not know there were performance steering rack bushings available for the Tercel!
See SynthDesign's thread from last year: https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6611
He has a manual rack, but possibly P/S bushings are available as well.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

Yeah, the power corolla rack is the same mounting shape and diameter as the Tercel power rack, mounting bushings wise.

I've got AE86 Poly power steering mounting grommets (stupid proper term) in the General. Not so happy with them. Rubber dampens better and translates less noise. Poly = squeaks, clunks and shudders through the wheel (hitting small bumps) but is great on smooth tarmac which I almost never drive on.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member

Post by Mad_Marx »

I went with OEM parts. Still in the process of installing the new/rebuilt motor, and the manual trans from my 86dlx. Nothing wrong with the current manual trans, but it has 215,000 miles on it. Also converting AC to 134 (replacing all the o-rings) while I have the motor out and can get to all the plumbing. I've also been taking the time to scrub down/degrease each nut and bolt, and repaint stiffener plates, engine accessory mounting brackets, drive pully's etc. .... but the freshly re-built rack with new inner/outer tie rod ends, bellows boots, and fresh OEM bushings looks mighty sweet :) pics soon.
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member

Post by Mad_Marx »

A shot of the Old VS. New. This is the power rack from my current project 86 SR5 (on top) and the freshly rebuilt rack from my wrecked 86 dlx, with a shot of the new bushings, cleaned up and ready for transplant. As you can see the drivers side bushing is D shaped, the passenger side bushing is O shaped (the old ones came out in pieces). I also installed new inner/outer tie rod ends and bellows boots from my local parts place (lifetime warranty).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

Nice job, should be good for another 200k miles or more. how much did all the rebuild parts cost for the rack? Was it worth the effort vs. buying a remanufactured rack (presuming you could find a reputable supplier)?
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member

Post by Mad_Marx »

mounting bushings were about $30, Bellows boots $13.00, Inner and outer tie rod ends were about $100.00 total. I didn't even look for a reman rack since I had the one from my old car and there was no play in the steering. I find a bit of comfort in doing work myself and knowing it was done right, with good quality parts.
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member

Post by Mad_Marx »

Went to my local Toyota Dealership this weekend to get a set power steering rack bushings for the 84. The D-shaped bushing was still in stock, but the round bushing is no longer available. Anyone have an after-market source for this part?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

these were common to a lot of different cars, you should find one somewhere. there was a performance web site that had urethane bushings for the first gen MR2, should be the same.