OEM Front Suspension Parts & Numbers

This is a forum JUST for posting part numbers.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

OEM Front Suspension Parts & Numbers

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Ordered 100207-received 100907 from Butler Toy in Indy. They are OE, and in the instances where available from AZ, ADV, NAPA, et al, the prices are better from Butler - and there is free shipping over $200 - and it is Toy OE...
The numbers should be good for every Toy dealer.
http://www.toyotaoemparts.com
# 48815-16090 Strut bush to X-member 2 @ $10.72 = ..21.44__(Toy calls the stabilizer a "strut"*) <<<<<<<<<<
# 48674-16030 ...." cushion to arm ...2 @ $10.49 = ..20.98 __(front cushion)
# 48675-16041 ...." cushion to arm ...2 @ $8.70 .= ...17.40 __(rear cushion)
# 90387-14007 __" internal collar .....2 @ $5.51 .= ...11.02 __(internal sleeve/tube)
# 90948-02056 Retainers for above...4 @ $3.60. =... 14.40 __(big, almost-flat, washers)
# 90206-14048 "Wave" washers ^^....2 @ $0.56 = .....1.12 __(lock washers)
# 94184-61400 Lock nuts for above...2 @ $1.65 = .....3.30
# 48654-16050 Lower arm bushing ...2 @ $21.14 = ..42.28 __(control arm to body)
# 48157-16020 Coil insulator ..........2 @ $13.19 = ..26.38 __(fits at top of spring under seat)
# 43330-19025 Lower ball joint .......2 @ $28.59 = ..57.18___(incl. cotters & castle nuts/no bolts)
TOTAL $215.50 - for OE grade
>>>>>>>>>> *AKA "swaybar"<<<<<<<<<<

Maybe I could get along without replacing some of the preceding (ie insulators) - but as long as I am replacing strut cartridges plus (full KYB) and GSP axles and coil springs, I thought I'd do it all instead of repeating the labor in a couple of years - this should last Goldie another 22 years - 'til I'm 89 - (I hope)...

Incidentally, I used the original swaybar-to-arm nut as a further locking nut on the new one - for peace of mind, and its use also further protects the bar's exposed threads from rust.

Additionally, I tightly wrapped the entire bar-to-arm assembly with an old bicycle tube (cut lengthwise and Zip-tied into place). The idea is to protect it from water/salt entry and to hopefully eliminate undetectable rusting of the bar inside the arm. I'll check it next Summer and see if it actually worked...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: OEM Front Suspension Parts & Numbers

Post by ARCHINSTL »

NOTE - if replacing the control arm-to-body bushings...be certain to relax ALL pressure on the arm!
If not, as the long bolt is withdrawn, it is easy to booger the threads on the bolt (and/or the captive nut inside the the body). I did this to the bolt, but was lucky to revive it with a thread file. Marring the threads on the captive nut would be baaaad!
See https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3267
And use LOTS of penetrating oil on the bolt-to-nut juncture!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Also...that captive nut in the frame is soft iron...don't over snug it!

I used a lot of bearing grease on the ends of the swaybar...hopefully to slow the rust issues for a while.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

imgfx
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 4WD

Post by imgfx »

I am missing the front swaybar bracket. Does anyone know if this part is also on the corolla, other tercels, etc?

1985 Tercel SR5 4WD
Just purchased. Had been pulled behind a motorhome its entire life.
a bit of front suspension damage. This is the only missing part.

I only have 1 day for my parts hunt, so please anyone who knows about the front suspension help me out.

Or are these brackets "standard" in some way, say could I go buy a kit at SummitRacing for a 22mm or .875in swaybar and it would be okay?
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Welcome to the Club!
I can't help with the interchangeability, but - go to the Part Numbers - OE and Aftermarket Forum and look at the EPCs there. Check out the Tercel part number and then the Corolla and then the MR-2. For some reason I'm thinking the MR-2 used the same front swaybar.
https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4538
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
imgfx

Post by imgfx »

MR2 was a bust. Toyota cannot even order this. Talking with auto recycling yards about this car is ridiculous, they are lumped into the overall "Tercel" category and you actually have to go to each yard to qualify the car. I am very annoyed.

Is there no aftermarket swaybar bushings and brackets at all for a 21mm for the terc4wd front?
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Bushings DO exist - see the OP. Call Butler or Conicelli or Village Toy; do not necessarily rely on your local Toy dealer.
The part number for the bracket itself is 48824-16020. I got this from the above recommended Forum.
That one dealer says a part is NLA is not necessarily the truth; I encountered this some years ago with ALL of the 8 STL Toy dealers and others have had the same experience with their friendly local Toy dealer - they just don't want to futz with old econoboxes. I've had XLNT luck with Butler - others have been happy with Conicelli or Village; ALL three beat a local dealer's pricing structure (if the locals will even bother to look it up - sad).

If you don't want to wait, since you mention you need one bracket - take the one you have to a sheet metal or machine shop - or even a good body shop. All should be able to bend metal into the uncomplicated clam shape.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

imgfx, i think your best bet would be to post a thread on here stating exactly what you are looking for, and/or looking through the existing threads of guys parting out their tercs. are you looking for just one metal bracket that attaches the sway bar to the cross member, or the bushing as well?

while you are doing this job, i hope you completely remove the bar and inspect the ends of the bar, the end bushings, and collar. they are a weak point on this car and can have disastrous consequences if they fail. here is a pictorial guide i posted on the topic.

https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7481
imgfx

Post by imgfx »

awesome, thanks! I will. I am a noob, and have not read every thread. I cannot seem to find a list of "good" parts vendors. Do we sort of just swap things around because parts are so scarce?
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

imgfx wrote:awesome, thanks! I will. I am a noob, and have not read every thread. I cannot seem to find a list of "good" parts vendors. Do we sort of just swap things around because parts are so scarce?
Reread my penultimate post in this thread.
Do a Search for Butler (IN) or Conicelli (PA) or Village (FL) for the location nearest you.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

welcome to the forum imgfx,

Not sure what front sway bar bracket you are referring to, do you mean the metal part that bolts to the frame, that holds the rubber bushing for the front sway bar? If so, that part is the same for the Tercel4wd and the 2nd Tercel (all models) from the same years as '83-86 (sencond generation Tercel). I am not sure if it uses the same size front sway bar, they look about the same size, if they are not the front rubber mounts would be different. the rubber bushings for the front sway bar to lower arm connection should all be the same as well, no matter if 2wd or 4wd.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
imgfx

Post by imgfx »

That's great feedback Petros.
So I should be fine once I can find a 2nd gen Tercel anywhere.
Yes, the pieces that hold the swaybar to the frame with the bushing inside, they look like a "U".
simon
My tercel:: Tercel 4wd '86

Post by simon »

I'm looking for these parts (bushings from sway bar to lower arm connection), and looking at the thread they seem hard to get.

I was hoping to find them at rockauto? I'm in Québec CA btw.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

I have been able to buy them from the dealer in BC. They are pricey but available.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Have a friend in the USA contact one of the 3 USA dealers mentioned in a prior post, buy 'em, and mail to you. Or call a USA dealer close to the border and then drive over the river.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain