The 4 Transmission Seals

This is a forum JUST for posting part numbers.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

The 4 Transmission Seals

Post by xirdneh »

Colonialseal.com or 856 432 0012 order by mm. Type “ A” means all rubber outside & single lip. AS is all rubber outside & double lip.
I suppose single vs double lip would be a preference thing, i am not sure it makes a difference on a transmission
these are the 4 seals for the transmission only (transaxle not included)
Original equipment Input Shaft Seal is double lip

1. Seal for Extension Housing Shift Shaft hole , Toyota Part # 90311-18013 is 8mm thk, Timken 1015N is 6mm thk, Hole in tranny 1.099” OD, shaft dia .709 (18mm)”. Seal about .658” ID(17mm) x 1.102” OD x .319” thk. ColonialSeal size A 18x28x7
2. Output Seal for rear driveline: Orig equip # AH1904F, O’reilys 223252, Beck/Arnley #052-3899, SKF #12745 (metal), SKF# 12748 (rubber). Hole in tranny 2.042”, shaft dia 1.26”(32mm). Seal about 1.184” ID(30.07mm) x 2.055” OD x.432” thk. ColonialSeal size A or AS 32x52x10.
3. Input Shaft Seal (top/front of tranny). Timken/Natl #222655. Hole in tranny 1.884” dia, dia of shaft 1.022”(26mm). Seal about .974” ID(24.8mm) x 1.899” OD x ID.276” Thk. ColonialSeal size AS 26x48x7
4. 4wd Shift Lever Seal in Transfer Hsg. Timken 16x24x6, SKF 552505, O'reillys 221410. Hole in tranny .938dia, Shaft dia .628”(16mm). Seal about .593” ID(15mm) x .954 OD x .235 Thk, ColonialSeal size A 16x24x7

Notes: 1. seal#1 is internal so tranny extension housing would have to be removed which is not difficult and can be done without removing tranny from car. You know this seal is bad when oil shows up in shift lever compartment of extension housing. This is accessible by popping the shift lever out and shining a light in the hole.
2. seal#2 Input Shaft seal replacement requires removal of transmission (separation from transaxle)
3. For Colonialseal.com The Inside Diameter of a seals lip is abt 1-1.5 mm smaller than the diameter of the shaft it slides over. If shaft measures 26mm the seal would be ordered as 26mm and it would measure about 25mm Inside Diameter.
Last edited by xirdneh on Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:55 am, edited 5 times in total.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
JDNightFox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: toyota

Re: The 4 Transmission Seals

Post by JDNightFox »

There isn't supposed to be oil in the shifter hole? Hmmm that could be a problem
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

i would not worry about it unless its inches deep

that oil cannot get out of there so as it slowly builds up it does not amount to much

its just a warning that the internal seal is wearing down a bit
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
pbtv
My tercel:: 1985 SR5

Post by pbtv »

Big thanks, xirdneh. Another trans saved by your post! For what its worth, I ordered all "AS" style seals and will update if I have any issues :)

Since paper gaskets are not available as a kit, do you prefer to use the "Gear oil resistant" RTV ( such as Permatex 81182 Gear Oil RTV) or cut your own paper gaskets? I have heard most transmission shops prefer to go the RTV route.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Just wanted to add this part #:

VAICO V10-3270

It's another brand of the 4wd shift lever seal. 16 mm ID, 24 mm OD, 6 mm depth.
AugustusFerdinand
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 Toyota Tercel SR5

Post by AugustusFerdinand »

Transmission output shaft seal Timkin part number: 32X52X10-RLS35-V

https://cad.timken.com/item/seals/oil-s ... -rls35-v-1
1983 Toyota Tercel SR5 - 7AGE swap in progress
Spectral
My tercel:: 1985 4WD, stock

Post by Spectral »

I just replace the output shaft and 4WD selector shaft seals this past weekend with SKF 12745 and SKF 552505 respectively. I cleaned everything really well and parked uphill overnight to put as much oil to the back of the transmission as possible. I placed a piece of cardboard under the car to check for leaks. The output shaft seal is not leaking at all. The new SKF 552505 4WD selector shaft seal left a drop or two of oil on the cardboard with a drop hanging on to the bottom of the cast iron actuator arm attached to the selector shaft. This seal felt like it could have been a little tighter on the shaft when I installed it. The seal O.D. felt tight but the I.D. could be a bit tighter. I was super careful not to scratch the housing when taking the old seal out, and placed a very thin coat of Permatex aviation sealant to the O.D. of the new seal just in case.

Has anyone had better luck with any of the other recommended seals for the 4WD selector shaft? I need to do an oil pan and motor mounts during the next oil change (I purchased the car with the oil pan dented at the drain plug, causing a small leak). I will be doing this job in ~2k miles, so I'll try and find a tighter selector shaft seal and replace when I'm under there again.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Spectral wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:41 am I just replace the output shaft and 4WD selector shaft seals this past weekend with SKF 12745 and SKF 552505 respectively. I cleaned everything really well and parked uphill overnight to put as much oil to the back of the transmission as possible. I placed a piece of cardboard under the car to check for leaks. The output shaft seal is not leaking at all. The new SKF 552505 4WD selector shaft seal left a drop or two of oil on the cardboard with a drop hanging on to the bottom of the cast iron actuator arm attached to the selector shaft. This seal felt like it could have been a little tighter on the shaft when I installed it. The seal O.D. felt tight but the I.D. could be a bit tighter. I was super careful not to scratch the housing when taking the old seal out, and placed a very thin coat of Permatex aviation sealant to the O.D. of the new seal just in case.

Has anyone had better luck with any of the other recommended seals for the 4WD selector shaft? I need to do an oil pan and motor mounts during the next oil change (I purchased the car with the oil pan dented at the drain plug, causing a small leak). I will be doing this job in ~2k miles, so I'll try and find a tighter selector shaft seal and replace when I'm under there again.
Hi Spectral. Yes, I found the same with one of the 4wd selector seals but can't remember which one it was. Anyway, when I test fit it I also found the lip was not very snug on the shaft. I haven't had any problem with leaks but that lip should obviously be a good fit so take a look at this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=9522

There is at least one other option mentioned in there for a seal with a 4 mm inner diameter you might want to try but I think xirdneh found that was too small? Or if you have a good parts place nearby maybe you can give them the dimensions you want and they can find a seal for you.