Gauging interest: '86 Tercel 2WD

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
GotToyota?
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 Tercel Wagon DLX

Gauging interest: '86 Tercel 2WD

Post by GotToyota? »

I am posting this as a feeler. I'm working and going to school and can't afford to have a car that needs tinkering so often. I've replaced a lot of parts on this car and it doesn't need much more to be fully reliable. With that being said the car has never left me stranded but I honestly don't want to drive this long enough to find out.

- Mileage: 228XXX
- 5 speed
- Gray interior
- No A/C
- Power steering
- Tags current until Sept. 14
- Clean title

Parts replaced since I've had it
- Cap
- Rotor
- Spark plugs (NGK)
- Spark plug wires (NGK)
- Air filter (WIX)
- Oil change with WIX filter
- Heater blower motor
- Drivers front window regulator
- Front brake pads
- Flushed brake fluid
- Coolant flushed
- Lower radiator fan switch
- Carb (newer used one)
- Replaced all vacuum lines
- Brand new TVSV valve from Toyota
- Struts (KYB GR2's)
- Strut mounts all around
- Alternator
- Master cylinder

Some things it needs
- Passenger front window regulator
- Clutch (read description below)
- Some gaskets? (read description below)
- Has cut springs (read below)
- Hatch struts

Like I mentioned at the top of the post, the car runs and drives fine. However it leaks/burns a bit of oil (roughly half quart every month) and clutch slips occasionally (when driving uphill and under heavy load). I honestly don't know how much longer it has but I've driven for awhile on it. When I replaced the suspension I put on cut springs because I wanted it lower. So as imagined, it rides a little rough. I personally didn't mind it, but all it would take is a spring swap to make it normal again. Interior is pretty clean! Gray leather. Drivers seat has rips and tears, passenger seat is clean. Rear bench seat is clean and carpet is clean. It's missing a front drivers side floor mat but it came with some generic kind. Paint is decent from the sides but is oxidized on the roof and hood, slowly starting to creep down on the passenger side doors.

The car has a STRAIGHT BODY with the exception of a tiny dint on the passenger rear door right under the trim. There is also a slight crack in the front bumper right under the drivers side headlight that is about an inch long. EVERYTHING WORKS! Defrost, turn signals, high beams, gauge lights, etc. I recently tuned the idle and fast idle according to FSM specs with a tachometer. Runs steadily and revs fine. It does not die though. I feel there is only one or two more things it needs to run smoothly but I honestly don't know what it is. I've grown impatient trying to figure it out.

I've put quite a bit of work and time into this. Looking to get at least what I paid but curious about offers. I will take more detailed pictures tomorrow.
Last edited by GotToyota? on Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GotToyota?
Top Notch Member

Re: Gauging interest: '86 Tercel 2WD

Post by GotToyota? »

Throw off some offers or give me an idea of what it's worth. I'd hate to part it out but I'm considering it.
GotToyota?
Top Notch Member

Post by GotToyota? »

I hope this helps you gauge what the car could be worth. I tried to be as detailed as possible and as accurate in the description of the car as I could be. Apologizes for the car being somewhat dirty. The interior is a bit dirty as well but a good vacuum and steam cleaning would bring it all back to life. I've honestly been too busy to give it that much attention and have focused on only mechanical issues.

I also forgot to include in the original post that the dash and door panels are in great condition with no tears, rips or cracks. The gauge bezel plastic is all intact and cluster plastic has no cracks or major scratches. The passenger seat and rear bench are in pretty good shape but the passenger seat has one thin rip and the backseat has a few small places but nothing horrible. Carpet is very clean also with no major stains (besides the non-matching drivers side floor mat). The hatch carpet has a stain that I'm fairly confident will clean out with a steam cleaning.

Last edited by GotToyota? on Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GotToyota?
Top Notch Member

Post by GotToyota? »

Concerning rust, there is practically none. However there is a little surface rust forming in the top part of the hatch jamb.
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

The body is pristine I will ask some of my buddy's if there interested in a 2wd.
GotToyota?
Top Notch Member

Post by GotToyota? »

Once tax season starts I will probably officially list this for sale.

As of now, I'll list it at $800 OBO.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

I would suggest finding springs (junkyard?) to sweeten the deal. Most may not care for it being lowered!
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
GotToyota?
Top Notch Member

Post by GotToyota? »

I'm negotiable with the price. Springs can be had for cheap. I don't have the time to find a set and swap them out.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Oh I don't mean swap them yourself, but if say you found some really cheap somewhere and threw them in the hatch!

But, I'm one of the ones rooting for you to keep the car, anyway :lol:
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
HomeSkool
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 87

Post by HomeSkool »

I have been wanting to lower my tercel for awhile. I'm assuming this car is long sold and unsure if the owner is still a part of this forum anymore. But how the heck does it ride? Super interested for information.
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

This car is too clean! What size are those rims? I'm trying to figure out what'll fit on mine now that it's lowered.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gottolovem »

That car was forum member GotToyota's! He hasn't been on the forum in quite some time!
Their 15 inch steelies from a sion. :oldgeek:
Here's his build thread
viewtopic.php?t=9536#p69359
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

GT? was last on the forum about a month ago, and his last post was in january. he was looking to buy an inclinometer which makes he think he might have rejoined our ranks but not sure about that.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10928
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gottolovem »

dlb wrote:GT? was last on the forum about a month ago, and his last post was in january. he was looking to buy an inclinometer which makes he think he might have rejoined our ranks but not sure about that.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10928
Oops my bad :?
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

Gottolovem wrote:That car was forum member GotToyota's! He hasn't been on the forum in quite some time!
Their 15 inch steelies from a sion. :oldgeek:
Here's his build thread
viewtopic.php?t=9536#p69359

I just read the date the thread was created and didn't realize it was so old. Haha. Aww man. I remembered that thread from a few months ago before I started mine. So if those 15x6 fit pretty good, there's probably a real slim chance that 15x8s will fit anyway?
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.