87 sr5 - vancouver, bc - $2200

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

87 sr5 - vancouver, bc - $2200

Post by dlb »

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/c ... 15275.html

looks very nice overall but ad mentions it has some rust blisters creeping in, a rough idle, and a big tear in the driver seat. i think the price might be a little high judging by the description but i'd have to see it to be sure.

my first terc was the same year with the same options with the same kms in similar condition and i got it for $600 but i guess it depends on what the seller wants for the car.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: 87 sr5 - vancouver, bc - $2200

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Seller has a nice, clean, organized garage; to me, that bodes well.
Does anyone else here have this color combination? Looks pretty "modern."
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Really digging that steering wheel, where did that come off of?
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

that's the stock sr5 steering wheel for canadian 87-88 sr5's. i think most of the european tercs had it too.

tom, i think the black interior was only an 87-88 thing too but i'm not positive.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Ah so the US didn't get it at all?

I would like to buy one if you ever found one ;)
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

that is a great price even if it has issues, the paint and body alone is worth it, fixing the seat and mechanical is easy compared to paint and body work.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
LennyD
My tercel:: 1987 4WD 6MT (X3)

Post by LennyD »

Hi Guys, thanks for the kind words on the car, and the garage. :). I am the seller (well my son and I). He's actually got three including this one, and has decided to sell the two "best" ones to raise a bit of cash and keep the hi-miler beater for himself. That being said, all three are 4WD 6MTs with pwr sunroof. Hard to find one, and he's stumbled onto three...

Anyway in case anyone here on the forum is interested in either of these cars, I would be happy to answer any questions, post pics, etc.. As I mentioned in the ad the price is negotiable - what do you ask for one of these in decent shape? Floors, etc., seem to be like new, there's a couple of scabs on the rear rockers, and the R/Fr is the worst spot on the car. Definitely open to offers.

- The other car my son has posted for sale in Kelowna, and someone here picked up on that ad as well, it's on the forum several posts down. I'll put a comment in there as well. That one runs better, very reliable, but needs fenders and has a nasty hole in the driver's rocker at the rear.

Both cars are actually in excellent condition underneath - I've attached some pics I took the other day on this two-toned one.

Thanks;
Len
Attachments
IMG_0988a.jpg
IMG_0986a.jpg
IMG_0985a.jpg
IMG_0984a.jpg
IMG_0983a.jpg
IMG_0982a.jpg
IMG_0981a.jpg
IMG_0987a.jpg
IMG_0980a.jpg
North of 64
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: "Bones" 87 SR5 4wd wagon

Post by North of 64 »

Oh I am (still) partial to the 87 sr5 and this one looks good. I agree with others that the price is at the upper end of it's value (to me at least). Hmm do I need another 87?

It runs rough and sounds like the same issues I have with Bones, probably a vacuum leak. By the way it wasn't me that found this car on Craigslist, my son is now hooked. I actually haven't been on the forum for ages but it feels good to check in.

xxxe
LennyD

Post by LennyD »

Just an update on this car - I've taken it off CL for the time being. Checked compression today, and #1 has about 50 lbs. The rest are around 190. Guess that could explain a few things... I took the head off this evening expecting to see something, but there's nothing obvious that would point to such low compression in that one cylinder. The valves close, and don't appear to be burnt, piston and walls look OK etc.. I didn't do a wet check, probably should have before taking the head off.

Haven't decided what to do with it yet - whether to fix it or sell it as is. Will keep you posted. :-)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

hi Lenny,

Welcome to the forum! either your head gasket was compromised or the valves need to be reground. rings usually wear evenly, it is very rare one cylinder rings are bad. I would recommend to take the head into an auto machine shop and have them grind all of the valve seats, regrind intake valves, and replace all 4 exhaust valves (they are always suspect and not really reusable), and new valve stem seals. I have a head gasket replacement procedure over in the repair guilds section of this forum, be sure to use it and not the service manual procedure.

You asked what the cars are worth, in the Puget sound area really clean and mechanically sound "daily driver" Tercel 4wd will sell from about $2500-3500 depending on condition. A very low mile pristine one sold on ebay a few years ago for over $10,000 but I would not count on ever getting that much for them. occasionally one will show up for as much as 4500, but they never sell that much, I think $3000 is the practical limit for a good used one that is in good condition. The low end for fixers seems to be about $400-500 if running, less if not. These cars have a good following in the puget sound area, other parts of the country they sell for about half that much unless it is in pristine condition.
LennyD

Post by LennyD »

ARCHINSTL wrote:Seller has a nice, clean, organized garage; to me, that bodes well.
Does anyone else here have this color combination? Looks pretty "modern."
Tom M.
Re: color combo - I came across this... 1987 brochure shot I believe - looks like the same car.
tercel.jpg
toyota_tercel_1987_photos_3_b.jpg
Attachments
IMG_0896a.jpg
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

looks like it could be the same one!

have you sold it, or have you decided to keep it? I notice the ad is deleted.
LennyD

Post by LennyD »

Just an update... With regards to the engine, thank you very much Petros - appreciate your advice. once I had the engine out I figured I might as well have a look inside the original engine to the car, since I had it as well... I found this:
IMG_1013a.jpg
Swallowed #2 intake, but it didn't appear to damage anything but the valve... and this original engine was very clean inside - (I didn't clean those pistons, they looked like that). It spent at least part of it's life behind a motorhome, and I'm not sure what the mileage was when it came out of the car originally.
IMG_1014a.jpg
So I swapped a valve from the runner engine and checked compression - 180 right across. Put it together with a new timing belt, gaskets, etc., new set of plugs and runs like a champ. Better to have the original engine in there anyway. Still may be a few carb issues to work out, seems like secondary may not be opening, but idles nice and drives like a completely different car.
IMG_1020a.jpg
Need to find the correct top timing cover but this one will work for now...