'84 Tercel4wd, automatic DLX for sale

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Re: '84 Tercel4wd, automatic DLX for sale

Post by keith »

If you are going on your own, go to a Walmart and get the Rand McNally atlas. The reason to get it at WalMart is that it has a list of all WalMarts and those that are within 2 miles of an interstate, it gives off ramp information. The ones with offramp information are used by RVers, so little campground forms in the parking lot every night. The camping is approved by WalMart at these stores. They are also open all night so you get a little security. Unfortunately they are well lit so you need a little cover for the windows in order to get any sleep. I use these when I travel alone and sleep in the car. They are 24 hour stores also so you have bathrooms and you can stock up on supplies as needed.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

some more pictures for you to study.

I tried to get some close up of the driver's side fender where the clear coat is blistered so you can see the extent of the paint condition. Nowhere else has it done this except on this part of the hood or fender.

Also there is a picture of the fuzzy fleece seat covers, and one of the SR5 back seat (you can see one small hole on the right side), and that is in need of cleaning, the front seats are in similar condition, used but not too bad a condition.
Attachments
'84 T4wd DLx 006.JPG
'84 T4wd DLx 005.JPG
'84 T4wd DLx 008.JPG
'84 T4wd DLx 007.JPG
'84 T4wd DLx 004.JPG
'84 T4wd DLx 003.JPG
'84 T4wd DLx 002.JPG
'84 T4wd DLx 001.JPG
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

I was thinking! How much would you want for the old DLX seats, was thinking I can probably put at least the front ones into my 81 with some fiddling.

Will look at the pictures in the morning when I am not on a tablet.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

i have laundered a few sets of tercel seats and say with confidence that the rear bench in that photo would clean up very nicely. just takes lots of stain remover and multiple washes with hot water on a 'delicate' setting.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

keith wrote:... it has a list of all WalMarts and those that are within 2 miles of an interstate,..They are 24 hour stores also so you have bathrooms and you can stock up on supplies as needed.
I have done this too, works great. You can drive until one am, pull over at a walmart, go in and freshen up in the rest room, get something to eat, motor oil, etc and than return to the car to sleep among the other parking lot campers at the far edge of the parking lot. One time I saw a retired couple with a large 5th wheel, they put some astro-turf out, two lawn chairs, a beach umbrella, and a BBQ with a table full of stuff to cook. I almost took a picture it was so out of place!

I think it works well for Walmart, all those travelers go in and resupply their RVs, I always end up buying more than I intend since they force to go all the way through the store to find the rest room, get motor oil and some energy drinks.

BTW, you do not need to by the map book (unless you want one anyway), the same information is available on the walmark website. I just print out a list of the store locations.

Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

irowiki wrote:I was thinking! How much would you want for the old DLX seats, was thinking I can probably put at least the front ones into my 81...
I will give you a good price for all the parts, spares and seats and other stuff you are going to buy. you can have the DLX seats, I have no use for them and I will be happy to get the SR5 seats out of the garage, along with the other parts. So bring some cash, I am sure I will have stuff you will want to take back with you.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Sounds good! I would probably just stash the SR5 seats in the back then, it'll be easier to give them a thorough cleaning if they aren't in the car once I'm back home! That would just leave the vacuum advance and the SR5 cluster to do when I get there.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

The wife decided she wants to fly out too to help me drive back, meet an old friend along the way, and see the scenery!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Vienna
Advanced Member

Post by Vienna »

How are the front turn signal lights on the fenders? We're looking around at junkers to see what we may need!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

the side marker lights (next to the headlights) were broken when I received the car, but I had some spares, so they are now perfect! All of the outside lights work. I believed I also replaced one of the turn signal lights under the front bumper as well.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Oh so I have been musing today, being a california car, does she have the HAC? I live at 5000 feet and go over mountain passes to visit family, so I'd probably want to source one if not!

Also, I know you just replaced the EGR valve but I'm with you on not actually using or needing one, there's no emissions here, can it be easily disabled with capping the vacuum lines going to it?

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I believe it does have the HAC, I will double check when I get a chance. Some of the early '84 did not have it, but I thought I remember seeing one.

BTW, I double checked all of the lights, the front driver's side turn signal light has a chip out of it (this is the orange one under the bumper). I will have to see if I have a spare and replace it, or you might see if you can find one there.

You can experiment with the EGR, easy test to run between fuel fill ups.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Alright, we'll keep an eye out around here for one.

I wasn't sure how disabling the EGR went, reading back posts gave mixed results!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

the only way to actually disable the EGR is to remove the tube that runs from the exhaust manifold to the EGR and plug both holes with large bolts. if the car runs fine without any hesitations once warmed up, i would say the EGR is still good.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

He said he replaced the valve, but I read around here that it decreases fuel economy, 15% more fuel burned! So I'd probably want to axe it.

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k