'84 Tercel4wd, automatic DLX for sale

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: '84 Tercel4wd, automatic DLX for sale

Post by Petros »

our more modern cars with auto trans all come with tachometers, and they do come in useful at times. I would think it would swap out however since the auto trans never came with the SR5 cluster you would either want to rig one of the unused warning lights for the trans temp warning, or put in a trans temp gauge somewhere so you can keep an eye on trans temp in hot climate towing or long steep hills. I would also suggest an auxiliary trans oil cooler, the trans cooler is the stock one built into the radiator, and would be marginal in a hot climate environment. Both of these would make the auto trans last much longer, with frequent ATF changes, plus ATF fluid/friction additives. The auto trans has not given a lick of trouble BTW, I did a complete fluid change in Los Anglese, and put some seal conditioner and anti-friction additive in it. I would recommend changing the ATF once a year, or at most every other year if your drive less than 10k miles a year.

The A/C is an easy rebuild: you can either buy a rebuilt compressor, or buy the seal kit and rebuild the compressor yourself. And there are a few o-rings in the hose connections to replace, and you install the newer type service valves, and than it will be all set for the modern refrigerant (the o-rings and seals have to be compatible with the new type refrigerant). I understand the a/c is fairly powerful for these cars and should serve you well. If you but this car you will have all winter to get the a/c ready for the warm season.

I understand if you keep the fwy speeds to 60 you get about 29-30mpg, possibly better if you delete the catalytic converted and advance the timing to 10 or 12 deg. BTDC. I got about 26-27 mpg on the trip north doing about 70-75 + the whole way. The timing was not set correctly, so it could be a bit better perhaps.

I just check the city driving today and got 25 mpg (including 5 miles of gravel roads a day driving in and out of my neighborhood). Careful city driver would likely be a bit higher.e

all of the seats are in excellent condition, the fronts have fleece covers, which is nice in both hot and cold weather (the stock fabric is vinyl in the dlx models, and it is both sweaty in the heat and plastic/cold in the winter). I also have a extra set of blue SR5 seats, front and rear matching (in fair shape, but badly need cleaning), you can have with it if you want them. I will even help you install them for your drive home. To sweeten the deal further, I have an extra SR5 gauge cluster for you as well, if you want it. And some critical spare parts to take with you down the road as well.

Fly up to Sea-Tac airport, take the shuttle to the Tulalip inn, and I will pick you up and you can spend a night in our guest room, and be on your way home the next day with your "new" DLX Tecel4wd. two long road days should get you home, or three easy days drive.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Plus the carb, fuel lines and all the emissions stuff you have for my first gen that wouldn't need to be shipped.

How bad are the cloth seats dirtwise?

Was the timing belt replaced with the head gasket?

Is nice to see the auto can go 70-75 just fine without torching the fuel economy!

Am taking to the wife about it tonight!
Last edited by irowiki on Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Petros wrote:our more modern cars with auto trans all come with tachometers, and they do come in useful at times. I would think it would swap out however since the auto trans never came with the SR5 cluster you would either want to rig one of the unused warning lights for the trans temp warning, or put in a trans temp gauge somewhere so you can keep an eye on trans temp in hot climate towing or long steep hills.
the automatic t4 temp warning light is actually in the dash hood, on the left side, so as long as the car's original dash hood is kept when the sr5 cluster is swapped in, there is no need to wire anything in. i did this on the automatic t4 i last fixed up and it was all plug and play.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

irowiki wrote:Plus the carb, fuel lines and all the emissions stuff you have for my first gen that wouldn't need to be shipped.

How bad are the cloth seats dirtwise?

Was the timing belt replaced with the head gasket?
it had a recent timing belt change I think, within the last year. The timing belt looked good and I was not likely to find one in Ashland OR where I replaced the head gasket during an overnight stop. It would have been nice to install new valve stem seals as well, but both the stem seals and the timing belt can be done without removing the head.

I think the seats will clean up nice, they can be used as is, but would look great after they are cleaned.

Not only can you take the box of parts I have been saving for you, I will give you a lot of spares to take with you, that will likely make useful spares for your first gen Tercel as well.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Alright, we've talked it over and it is a done deal!

I have to figure out when I can get off work, I have to give ample notice. It may be 2-3 weeks out. Let me know if you'd like a deposit? Going to look at flights and negotiate time off tomorrow.

I'm thinking of flying out on a Thursday, most flights arrive around 9:30ish pm. That would leave Friday for seat/tach swap, and 2.5 days to drive home. The wife and baby may fly out too.

The wife asked, if you get time, to snap some pictures of the seats!
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I have to dig out the seats in my garage. I will see what I can do.

I have to be in California the fist 10 days or so of October. I thought of driving it down to Los Anglese to make your trip shorter, but I am not sure that will work out since I have a tight schedule when I am there (and flying might be cheaper anyway). I have a very busy next several weeks in Sept. If you arrive on the 25 or so, and be on your way by friday morning. You need about 2 weeks or more advance purchase to get a good deal on flights, so better look now. I always fly Southwest, prices are competitive, and you can bring two 50 lb suit cases at no extra fee. Since you will want to bring gear for the road, it might be cheaper to fly by checking luggage. 100 lbs of cargo including in the flight! That is a great deal.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

I can get a flight on united for $139 on Thursday the 26 and it get in at 914pm. southwest sadly isn't an easy option here. Would check one bag with tools, tent etc.

Or we can plan for the middle of October when you are back?

Don't worry about the seat pictures, BTW.

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I would rather have is sold ASAP, if you can get a cheap flight sooner so much the better. That is a great price for the flight. I can pick you up at the airport, getting in and out of down town Seattle at that time should not be a problem. If you arrive earlier you can take a shuttle bus, but the next one after you land does not leave the airport until 11:30 pm, and you would not arrive at the local hotel until well after midnight.

I check google maps BTW, you are not as far south as I thought, about 20 hours of road time. That makes an easy two day drive. You can even do it in a LOOONG one day "red-eye" run home, I have done that several times, takes a lot of sugar free energy drinks to stay awake.

Another bonus, you do not need to drive through California on the way back. It has California registration that have recently expired, that way you can avoid any stop by the CHP questioning your registration (you just show them the bill of sale and you should be okay, but who needs the trouble). Usually when you drive an out of state lic plate, the local authorities ignore it even if out of date. I have done it lots of times, I even drove a Tercel I got in Colorado across seven states that had not been licensed for over 5 years.

You should get a letter from your current insurance agent that states you have coverage on the car you just bought (you normally can not get it registered until you return to your state). My insurance covers me for any car I am driving no matter who owns it, by having a letter it will prevent you from getting ticket should you do have an encounter with local authorities attempting to increase their revenues (in this state driving without proof of insurance is a $550 fine!!!).
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

So we're good for that Thursday? I'll make the arrangements this morning then. Edit: flight made! $140+25 (bag fees) not bad!

Pm me the Vin number and I'll have insurance ready too.

I happen to be one of those crazy types of drivers who could probably do it in one go, but not sure I want to. :lol:

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Vienna
Advanced Member

Post by Vienna »

By crazy drivers he means going from Farmington NM to Green Bay WI and driving aprox 12~14 hours non stop or something crazy like that. It makes me facepalm that a 30 year old car is more loved and working better than our 10 year old buick. While I like the tercels, I'm just waiting to get "that look" when driving it around here. Heck knows our fist gens gets plenty of looks and the kids in the area have been heard asking "mom/dad what's that old thing?"
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Vienna wrote: While I like the tercels, I'm just waiting to get "that look" when driving it around here. Heck knows our fist gens gets plenty of looks and the kids in the area have been heard asking "mom/dad what's that old thing?"
I didn't get any looks until my friends and I went out and drove three of these together around. Now that was fun!
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I love doing long distance solo drives, you can cover a lot of country with minimal stops. All it takes is a good nights rest before you leave, lots of energy drinks and some easy "road food" that you have on the seat next to you (I bring healthy finger food, cheese sticks, fresh fruit, whole grain crackers, etc). Also, it greatly helps if you have a bladder than can hold long enough to make to the fuel stops (about 4 hours), that way you do not have to make any "extra" stops between refueling stops.

I sometimes make a game out seeing how many cars I see in a cross county trip older than the Tercel, even on 4000 mile trips, there are not many on the interstate. I sometimes count only 4 or 5 vehicles older than the Tercel4wd I am driving, most of them are pick-up trucks. Almost no one takes long distance trips in old cars any more...of course they are not driving Toyotas either.

I have done that same drive BTW on a trip to Colorado springs (and than on to TX), it has some fantastic scenery and this time of year should not be too hot, you go through Boise, Salt Lake City and over 3 mountain ranges.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

When I was younger, I did Olathe CO to Pittsburgh PA in two 15 hour days!

I'm getting excited about this trip, I just wish it wasn't in two weeks!

Oh, Petros, is the owner's manual with the car? If not I will ebay one.

Edit: My dad is even impressed with the car, and he usually doesn't like old cars. Funny quote though: "You know even though it has 4WD the ground clearance is pretty low" to which I said "Yeah, I want it more for snow and light offroading"

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Romulux
My tercel:: None yet - I'm on the hunt >:]

Post by Romulux »

Congrats on the sale and the buy, you guys!!

Petros and I talked about this car before he posted it here, and I ended up having to pass on it. I'm glad it's continuing its journey with a fellow forum member, and it makes me happy to hear that it's exactly what your wife needs, irowiki, as it was very close to my perfect tercel except for it being an AT. It'll serve her better than it would've me, I'm sure of it. :]
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

the car does not have one, but I collect them from the wrecking yards when I find them, so I might have one. Give me a few days to check, if I have one it is yours to go with it.

I have found that driving cross country using a GPS devise makes it a less stressful when looking for gas stations, making sure you take the correct exists, etc. Even finding a quick bite to eat, it saves a lot of time, you go right to it rather than driving around in an unfamiliar city looking for a place to get a quick hamburger when you are tired of the cheese sticks and beef jerky.