The "breaking bad" Tercel

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
Vienna
Advanced Member

The "breaking bad" Tercel

Post by Vienna »

Apparently the actual tercel wagon in breaking bad is going up for auction:
http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S3126334.shtml?cat=0

The mentioned about it on the dealer's facebook page as well"
"FOR all of you who are interested in placing a bet on the Jesse Pinkman car and one other one we will be auctioning off, the bidding will begin on the day the first episode airs, and will end on the day the last episode airs. Look forward to further instructions on bidding! Thanks Mike Faris Auto"

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mike-Far ... 5400334800
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: The "breaking bad" Tercel

Post by Petros »

this is not the first time someone tried to sell this car based on its "celebrity" status. If I remember it is not a 4wd, but a 2wd model with all of the SR5 4wd stuff installed on it. there was an earlier thread about this car about a year ago no this forum.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Interesting thread that Petros referenced above: https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php? ... eaking+bad+
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

This one is the back up Tercel they had. The one that was seen in the different episodes had an 85-86 style grill. This one has the 83-84 SR5 blue plaid seats, whereas the other one has 85 SR5 style seats. I wonder if the actual one will be sold as well.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
Vienna
Advanced Member

Post by Vienna »

I was reading about the original one being held by the production company for now, they haven't released if they plan to sell or not yet though.

The one mentioned above is now on ebay it would seem.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-T ... 500wt_1182

They had a lot of "I'll pay 8 thousand for this car!!!!" on their facebook page but yet no one has bid past this 2.5K start.
hughwhomdt

ending bid... $4550

Post by hughwhomdt »

the auction ended at $4550, Is breaking bad that popular of a show? very little was mentioned about the car in the actual description, just about its use on film. I never heard of breaking bad before last week and apparently there's 6 seasons. I would've watched it to see the tercel however.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

breaking bad was a huge hit, at least among everyone i know, but it seems like every HBO series is massive these days. true blood, walking dead, breaking bad, sons of anarchy, etc. i've watched some and hated them. what i've seen are just soap operas with some lame violence, gore and sex scenes to make them seem gritty. cheap shock value, same old lousy unbelievable 1-dimensional characters and horrible love triangles. give me twin peaks or the wonder years over an HBO series any day.
TominMO
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 SR5

Post by TominMO »

I guess they appeal to those attracted to the "bad boy" image....personally, I find Breaking Bad reprehensible, in that the producers have found a "respectable" excuse for this guy to be making meth. We don't need bad behavior mainstreamed, it needs to be marginalized. Again.
1986 4WD Tercel, formerly gold, now camo
1995 Ford Aspire SE, MPG development car, shooting for 65 MPG hwy
1990 Ford Festiva, mild motor swap, HP development car
The other Tom M. in STL w/a gold 1986 SR5--from the universe where Spock has a goatee
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Post by Mark »

We got rid of cable many years ago so I've never seen the show, but it explains a funny thing that happened a couple of years ago: We had just parked by the side of the road and a little kid (must have been 5 or 6) walking down the sidewalk holding his dad's hand pointed at our car and started yelling "Daddy! Look! It's the bad man's car! The bad man's car!". The dad looked embarrassed and tugged him away. We had a decent laugh.
emmahumpfritter
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Post by emmahumpfritter »

dlb wrote:breaking bad was a huge hit, at least among everyone i know, but it seems like every HBO series is massive these days. true blood, walking dead, breaking bad, sons of anarchy, etc. i've watched some and hated them. what i've seen are just soap operas with some lame violence, gore and sex scenes to make them seem gritty. cheap shock value, same old lousy unbelievable 1-dimensional characters and horrible love triangles. give me twin peaks or the wonder years over an HBO series any day.
Spot on. I watched Breaking Bad one time, after hearing "how good it is!" I'm still considering suing HBO for the hour of my life wasted. Terrible show.
260K with no end in sight....
Romulux
My tercel:: None yet - I'm on the hunt >:]

Post by Romulux »

No offense, but some of you guys are tripping.

First of all, Breaking Bad is on AMC not HBO (not that it matters in the context of this thread). Second, Breaking Bad is a god damn cinematic masterpiece, especially compared to every other show on standard cable TV. It's not the type of show you can pick up and watch an episode of, the story has to be told from the beginning. It's a thrilling, meticulously planned out, thought provoking show that at times can make your question your own morals and effortlessly leaves your heart pounding at the end of most episodes. Sure, they're cooking meth and there are some violent and uncomfortable scenes. Get over it. The show isn't about glorifying meth or the production of meth, in fact, it's the opposite. It's about how we, as "normal" people, can transform into something we thought we could never become, and how slippery of a slope it can be when you turn down the "wrong" path.

If you consider yourself a fan of well executed cinema, Breaking Bad is a must watch.

Also, I'm super pumped that I want the same car Jesse drives. Let the haters hate, I'll be smiling the whole time. :)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

at the advice of lots of pals, i watched a bunch episodes of BB in chronological order that never impressed me. i finally gave up when a lame romantic subplot popped up: jesse fell hard for some girl, she broke his heart, walter showed some concern for jesse's emotional well-being, jesse was all "what do you care, old man?" and suddenly we saw that jesse and walter really DID have some sort of bond or friendship...blerrrgh. i think that sort of thing is really paint by numbers, and it was just such a typical and disappointing attempt at character development that seemed very inconsistent with the characters up to that point. that's what i mean by unbelievable characters and lame romantic subplots.

as for the gritty angle that is so popular these days, i find most of the sex, violence or uncomfortable scenes (ie drug use) are inserted so brutally that it feels like they are just thrown in to shock the average viewer, and BB was no exception for me. i think lots of shows/films can do truly shocking stuff that is artful and comes from an honest place, and i love that stuff, but right now there is a real trend for shows to outdo other shows in terms of sex, violence, gore, etc, and i feel like it is simply a contest to see who can push the envelope further. to me, that's not art, and it doesn't interest me.

of course, this is all entirely subjective. the art that i find honest and connects with me, may feel false and fall flat for you. so to each their own. if you like it, keep watching it. it's just not my cup of tea.
Romulux
My tercel:: None yet - I'm on the hunt >:]

Post by Romulux »

dlb wrote:at the advice of lots of pals, i watched a bunch episodes of BB in chronological order that never impressed me. i finally gave up when a lame romantic subplot popped up: jesse fell hard for some girl, she broke his heart, walter showed some concern for jesse's emotional well-being, jesse was all "what do you care, old man?" and suddenly we saw that jesse and walter really DID have some sort of bond or friendship...blerrrgh. i think that sort of thing is really paint by numbers, and it was just such a typical and disappointing attempt at character development that seemed very inconsistent with the characters up to that point. that's what i mean by unbelievable characters and lame romantic subplots.

as for the gritty angle that is so popular these days, i find most of the sex, violence or uncomfortable scenes (ie drug use) are inserted so brutally that it feels like they are just thrown in to shock the average viewer, and BB was no exception for me. i think lots of shows/films can do truly shocking stuff that is artful and comes from an honest place, and i love that stuff, but right now there is a real trend for shows to outdo other shows in terms of sex, violence, gore, etc, and i feel like it is simply a contest to see who can push the envelope further. to me, that's not art, and it doesn't interest me.

of course, this is all entirely subjective. the art that i find honest and connects with me, may feel false and fall flat for you. so to each their own. if you like it, keep watching it. it's just not my cup of tea.
I get where you're coming from, but you stopped watching at just the wrong time! What you're calling a typical and disappointing attempt at character development is really just a catalyst for much deeper character development. I'd still suggest picking it up where you left off, even after you said it doesn't interest you. I can't guarantee you won't be disappointed, but I do think the show goes into deeper levels than you've seen so far.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

bit of love for the BB Tercel on Jalopnik today. Always a few good stories from the commentariat although I feel since there 'down on the street' writer and lover of interesting off beat cars (like ours) moved to "the truth about cars" forum there is more of a mainstream focus on Jalopnik..

anyway this one is a 4wd model compared to last one that was selling (a 2wd)

Still really enjoying this show but glad it's finishing soon.

http://jalopnik.com/i-drove-jesse-pinmk ... 1388295896
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

Mattel wrote:Still really enjoying this show but glad it's finishing soon.
hey matt, long time no see. why are you glad the show is finishing soon? and how's your corolla doing?