The "breaking bad" Tercel

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Re: The "breaking bad" Tercel

Post by Mattel »

I'd hate to see it drag out any longer. I think that it was about 2 seasons too long as it is. Though - I really enjoyed this last season of breaking bad.

The cars on the show were great. each one of them - probably since the dukes of hazzard said a whole lot about the owners. I think this was a very conscious decision by the director.

I'm hardly driving right now. (moved to the city - near my girlfriend) riding my bicycle to uni everyday. So I had to buy a new battery. Have met up with about 3 other guys here that have corolla 4wd wagons so it's really good to have some technical buddies around. They are all planning fairly large modifications whereas my first need is reliability. Glad you kept yours! BTW there is a VW wasserboxer Caravelle dumped across the street that is calling my name... Help me resist the urge to buy it David!
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

OT, but - I had to Google "VW Caravelle" to discover what it was.
I'm surprised Renault let VW get away with using its name for the Caravelle two-seater it introduced in '58 to counter the VW Karmann-Ghia's success.
Of course, the Caravelle being French, it was ill-suited for the real world...

I just saw an immaculate K-G at a car show last Saturday. It is still one of the all-time classic auto designs, despite getting close to being 60 (!) years old.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Vienna
Advanced Member

Post by Vienna »

I had to laugh at one of the comments to the article about "there's nothing like ice racing and watching one of those cars (tercel wagon) pass you going sideways"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoDyQaB8yb4#t=51
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Vienna wrote:I had to laugh at one of the comments to the article about "there's nothing like ice racing and watching one of those cars (tercel wagon) pass you going sideways"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoDyQaB8yb4#t=51
that terc at the end belonged to a former member here. i can't remember his name. i think he put a 4afe in the car. he sold it a year or two ago.
Mattel wrote:I'd hate to see it drag out any longer. I think that it was about 2 seasons too long as it is. Though - I really enjoyed this last season of breaking bad.
i think north america has a problem with beating shows to death as long as they're profitable. for example, the UK office only lasted two seasons while the US version lasted eight (8 seasons too many, if you ask me). i prefer shows to end on a high note before they get stale. i think seinfeld did a good job of that.
Mattel wrote:I'm hardly driving right now. (moved to the city - near my girlfriend) riding my bicycle to uni everyday. So I had to buy a new battery. Have met up with about 3 other guys here that have corolla 4wd wagons so it's really good to have some technical buddies around. They are all planning fairly large modifications whereas my first need is reliability. Glad you kept yours! BTW there is a VW wasserboxer Caravelle dumped across the street that is calling my name... Help me resist the urge to buy it David!
good for you for biking. i do it to work every non-raining day here. yeah, the gents on the corolla forum are big on mods. not my thing but some neat info anyway. STAY AWAY FROM THE VW, MATT. IT WOULD BE NOTHING BUT TROUBLE. my life has improved exponentially since we sold ours!
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Totally agree about the length of tv shows in the USA. I can't think of any show other that ''the wire' that didn't go way to long. USA office was a great show in it's own way.

About the VW. I had a first generation golf and ended up replacing everything over 3 years except the gearbox. Helped a lot with my understanding of mechanics thats for sure. There is something really neat about the design of early 80's toyotas and VW that was quite innovative - Breaking bad also had a early Toyota Previa (Tarago in Australia) now that was a neat car. Now I think VW and Toyota designs are so conservative at least Toyota still has a mostly justified reputation for quality.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms