'98 4wd in Fort Collins

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
Deaner

'98 4wd in Fort Collins

Post by Deaner »

I didn't realize they'd made 4wd's in this later body style.

(Also - I'm new. I don't know all the etiquette. Am I posting this in the right place?)

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/cto/1845035870.html
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: '98 4wd in Fort Collins

Post by Petros »

that is an '89 Corolla All-Trac (not a '98). This is as good a list as any to put it on, there is an All-trac list but it has almost no activity. This model of Corolla is pretty rare for some reason, many on this list (including myself) have also owned an All-trac.

It should be put in the "complete cars for sale" section.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

i love these things. i had originally been looking for one when my current terc crossed my path but i'm glad i got the terc because of the 4WD/AWD thing. which leads me to ponder: the ad states that this particular all-trac is 4WD and can switch between 2WD and 4WD. from what i know, the only control you have with them is that you can turn the locking differential on and off. were two types available?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I have never seen one w/2wd/4wd. I think the seller does not know any better, it is AWD until you lock out the center diff to get a true 4x4. Our Tercels only have the locked center option since they do not have the center diff. I like that, lighter and simpler than AWD and it get better fuel economy than AWD.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

i agree, that's why i was pleased that i wound up with a terc. fuel economy is paramount to me so i don't see any sense in having all four wheels driving at the same time, all the time. it would also wear out more tires unnecessarily quickly. but damn, the all-tracs look so damn cool. like space ships! i like the rear indicators being high up too, they're easily visible. god, that's about the nerdiest thing i've ever said.

incidently, after the seafoam treatment followed by an oil change, my mileage with the 4a averaged out at over 13 km/liter, or almost 32 miles/gallon. i'm thrilled!
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

I'm rocking an All-trac (corolla 4WD wagon in Australia) and a Tercel 4wd and although they are both similar in concept I am having a real hard time working out which one to keep. They both do there job so well but are completely different cars in many ways. I'm getting better economy (80% highway)in the corolla though even with the awd constantly working and it is working at about 200rpm faster at 100kmph.

The NVH levels are so much better in the Corolla as well. I thought it would be an easy decision but no... it is not seeming that way
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

don't make life any more difficult than it already is, mattel.

btw, did all all-tracs (hereafter referred to as ATs) have a 3TC engine? is this engine comparable to the 3A in terms of (lack of) power and performance? are there any easy engine swaps for ATs?
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

The All-Tracs have a fuel injected 4A-FE engine with much better output than the 3A-Cs found in our Tercels.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

After owning and driving both the Corolla A/T and T4wd for several years, I was at the same point. They are very different cars, the corolla is more refined, quiet, softer ride, a bit more room, heavier; the Tercel is more responsive and sporty, it weighs less, has better visibility, more ground clearance, and a lot easier to work on.

I decided the Tercel4wd was more fun to drive, and all of its short comings could be "fixed". I was already considering the 4age engine swap to give me a better engine and the brakes upgrade (now done). With a more modern engine the Tercel should get even better fuel economy, and have a better power to weight ratio. The Corolla 4AFE engine is a much more powerful engine and there are lots of performance parts available, as well as the suspension up grades to get rid of the Corolla mushy ride, but the Tercel was just a car I like more. It is more jeep-like, utilitarian, and a heavily modified Tercel would be kind of quirky-fun, and I think less costly to upgrade. The Tercel4wd is far more common for some reason, even though it is a much older model.

I sold the Corolla and started the modification program for my Tercel4wd, and I have not regretted it at all.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

thank you petros, that was the confirmation i was looking for. if i ever came across one that was a good deal i might go for it but i will be keeping ron for a very long time, if not ever. actually, i was just at the parts store and a guy approached me and asked if the tercel outside was mine! he said it looked great and i got the chance to gloat about how sweet it really is.