Tercel for sale in Minneapolis, I checked it out.

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
shonuffisthemaster
Top Notch Member

Tercel for sale in Minneapolis, I checked it out.

Post by shonuffisthemaster »

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/car/619574840.html

Here is a car I took a look at (brought it to a friends shop who has a lift and looked it over thoroughly) I offered $300, he said he would like to see if he can get more for it. Seems like a nice guy, was honest when I was dealing with him, more wrong with it than he knew about. If you want it for more than I'm willing to pay (I would probably go up to $350) feel free to over bid me, I won't hold it against you, I would like him to get a good price. If there is anything I missed in my post just ask.

You can drive it home, but I would tow it if you can, avoid highways if possible, its got a pretty bad wobble and the brakes are very soft.

The good;

*Engine runs good, compression is 160, 179, 170, 165, and with oil it's 220, 200, 220, 210. So the valves are in great shape but the rings are not so good, spec. Compression is 178. Says it had a recent valve job, looks like it has.

*Carburetor and distributor both seem good, newer tune up, I coulden't find the timing light at the shop I was using, so I was unable to check the advance, but its quite smooth anyway at all speeds. He said carb is rebuilt and coil is new.

*Transmission and clutch tight, he says its got a new clutch and I believe it. 4WD works good.

*Good tires, all match, maybe 50% on front and 85% on back.

*Seats and interior in good shape for mileage (a few cigarette burns, no holes otherwise) it is an SR5 and has SR5 seats, blue, with black intirior, dash etc. in good shape, and the radio works as do the rear speekers (he also has the rear cargo cover).

*CV's in good shape, look almost new.

*Looks like the stabilizer bar has been replaced

*lower ball joints are newer

Here's the major bad stuff;

* Its got a front-end wobble caused by a rusted suspension arm mount. Front drivers side, you can see it if you look closely. The whole corner / mount area is basically separated from the unibody on one side. This will need to be welded / re-built to be road worthy.

* Exhaust, the front pipe has seperated from the cat where it was priviously welded, will need to be welded back in place. Also the muffler is pretty bad. Otherwise the exhaust pipe and cat look fine.

*very soft brakes are caused by a leaking wheel cylinder (was a real mess in there when I pulled the drum off). And probably not helping are front flex lines that are corroded down to the fabric, and considering that bleed screws that havent been touched in a while almost always break off (even after I soak them overnight in penetrating oil, etc.) it may need calipers as well. Also the hard lines about half way back are pretty rusted, they are not leaking now, but I would replace them before I drove it.

So, the things that need attention to be drivable:

*Needs front suspension arm mount welded
*Rear wheel cylinder
*Rear brake shoes
*Front flex lines,
*Possibly a front caliper or two
*Needs front portion of exhaust pipe welded to cat

Things it will need in the near future:

*Hard brake lines form halfway back, depending on if there is solid lines to connect to, possibly all the way from firewall back.
*New muffler
*Right headlight mount is broken, headlight loose. Didn't take the time to look at what was wrong, but can't align the headlight like it is.
*Shocks are drivable but will need replacement.
*Both upper ball joint boots are torn, will need upper ball joints.
*Gas filler neck rusted, hard to say when it will start leaking, it looked about like mine did when it was leaking, but you never know.
*Power steering pump is going bad
*Needs Alt. and PS pump belts
*missing spare tire
87 tercel 2d
87 corolla FX
87 Mazda 323
79 Datsun 210
91 ranger
84 F150 300-6
87 T4WD SR5 blue (still have)
81 Tercel SR5 hatch
87 T4WD SR5 red
92 2WD Truck
79 F350 dually flatbed 460 Eddelbrock intake / 750CFM 4bbl (still have)
84 Corolla 4dr (current)
shonuffisthemaster
Top Notch Member

Re: Tercel for sale in Minneapolis, I checked it out.

Post by shonuffisthemaster »

Well, looks like he decided to sell it to me for $300!:) if i take a look at what's wrong with his truck fix it for a good price, wich I will gladley do for such a good deal. I feel kinda bad just paying $300 for it, but I really don't think its worth more considering the things that are wrong with it. Finnally I'll have an engine that runs smooth!!
87 tercel 2d
87 corolla FX
87 Mazda 323
79 Datsun 210
91 ranger
84 F150 300-6
87 T4WD SR5 blue (still have)
81 Tercel SR5 hatch
87 T4WD SR5 red
92 2WD Truck
79 F350 dually flatbed 460 Eddelbrock intake / 750CFM 4bbl (still have)
84 Corolla 4dr (current)