1991 Volvo 240 Wagon FS...Cheap!

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
neonsport
Top Notch Member

1991 Volvo 240 Wagon FS...Cheap!

Post by neonsport »

Alright, I posted a while back about this one, but I have too many irons in the fire, and I'm motivated to sell it.

I have a 1991 Volvo 240 wagon, white, blue interior, automatic. I'm the second owner, it's always lived in the south, and it has no rust. The body is straight, but there are clearcoat issues on a few of the panels. It still looks really good, and the interior is fairly immaculate. It runs like a top, it has the updated ECU, and I've worked out most of the common 240 quirks like the 240 fanatic I am. Everything I've done on this car was with the thought of keeping for a long time.

Since I bought it, I've replaced the front turn signal lenses and the taillights. The lenses on these cars tend to degrade from sunlight exposure, but these are nice. I've replaced the tailgate harnesses, the door pockets, swapped the plastic hubcaps with stainless caps and rings from a pre-86 240, and replaced the exhaust system from the cat back, the engine mounts, timing belt, sunvisor clips, and the e-brake console. If you have ever had a 240, all of these are things you'd likely have to do on any one you'd buy. It also has a carpet dash cover, and the engine splash pan is fairly new. The battery and starter were replaced last year.

The brick has a CD player (Kenwood or Pioneer, can't remember off hand), and 4 good aftermarket 2 way speakers.

The issues on this car, aside from the clearcoat, are that it needs a rear main seal (far from critical yet), the speedometer sender (the speedo and odometer are good), and one of the tires has a hole in the sidewall. It really needs tires all around. The A/C system needs a charge. I haven't done it, because I could convert it to R-134a with a Volvo factory kit cheaper than having it evacuated and charged with R-12.

The odometer shows 59k, which is obviously not correct, shows 59k miles. I've dealt with a lot of 240s, and from the condition of the driver's seat, I'd jusde that it doesn't yet have 100k miles. It should drive anywhere like it is right now, with the tire replaced.

So here's the deal. I'd sell the car just like it is, with a used tire installed for the drive-out, for $1500 cash. If somebody here wanted it, I'd be willing to deliver it for not a lot more than travel expenses and a plane ticket home. It would bring much more with a little work, but I just want to clear space and generate some cash. If you want one of the cars that's even more reliable than a Tercel wagon, this is it. These old red-block Volvo engines are industrial quality, and a half million miles is common with good maintenance.

PM if you're interested. I'd like to see the old girl go to a good home.
"And to see you're really only very small
and life flows on within you and without you." George Harrison