Boulder Terc

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Boulder Terc

Post by Typrus »

http://denver.craigslist.org/car/508677107.html

I already called him, left a message. Plan on talking about the tranny. See if I can't preserve a Terc owner.

I SERIOUSLY doubt my mom would go with me on getting another one. LOL.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
riceburner

Post by riceburner »

I picked up this tercel. It's going to a good home. Now I need to find a tranny for it or have it rebuilt. Something was catching (probably tranny) every foot or two as I rolled it onto the trailer :-(
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Check those outer CV joints. They can actually come out of their housing and bind on each turn. You can brand new axles from EMPI or Rockauto for about the price of a reman, but remans for this car are junk.
riceburner

Post by riceburner »

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't unloaded it from the trailer yet because we have a bunch of snow, so it might be easier to check it out on the trailer. I wish it wasn't so damn cold.
Iain
Top Notch Member

Post by Iain »

Sounds like it might be in 4WD too. That might sound a little too obvious, but I've forgotten to take mine out of 4WD when I parked it a few times before.

-1992 TCR10 Previa LE -Thanks Jetswim-
-1987 AL25 Tercel SR5 -Sold To Jetswim-
-2000 PL2000 Neon LE -Sold to spencersummerfield-
-1999 PL Neon SE -Stolen, recovered cut in half. R.I.P.-
-1987 AE86 Corolla GT-S Coupe - Sold (I want it back!)-
riceburner

Post by riceburner »

No, it was in FWD. I haven't moved it other than to roll it up on the trailer. As I cranked on the come-along to load it, the vehicle would resist rolling every little bit. I could come-along through it, or stop and stand on the cable temporarily to make it roll past its sticking point. The PO said it started clunking and he immediately stopped for fear of completely grenading the tranny. Perhaps the "stickiness" I experienced while rolling it onto the trailer is related.

The car has 164K. The tranny seems fairly tight, and shifts smoothly through each of the gears with the engine running and the car not moving. The clutch seems fairly spongy though.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Could be the clutch cable or sector and pawl failed and the trans is good...and you just have the motor turning over as you pull it?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

riceburner

Post by riceburner »

Maybe I will get lucky on the tranny. I don't think it was the motor turning over but it could have been. I didn't hear a clunk when I was cranking it on. When it gets a little warmer, I'll jack the thing up and see what spins.