ISO Tercel 4x4 6-speed

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
marx

ISO Tercel 4x4 6-speed

Post by marx »

Hello all,

New to the forum although I have read many posts. I have recently fallen in love with the spacious but efficient little 4x4 manual wagon that is the Tercel, and am now on the search for one for myself. I am young, still in college, so my budget is relatively small. My old 1989 Ford e250 has pretty much run its course, and in need of something with better mpgs (and I have always wanted a Toyota) the Tercel has really caught my eye. While by no means an adept mechanic, I am always learning and trying to fix things on my own, and have access to a decent amount of tools. A simple 4x4 manual Tercel that I can work on and slowly build out is the dream, and hopefully I can acquire one soon. I'm constantly on Facebook marketplace and craigslist across the country, but I thought I would test the waters here and see if anyone has anything. Pretty much looking for any Tercel with the 4x4 and 6 speed manual that is in decent condition. I'm located on the west coast, in the Portland area, but I am definitely willing to go anywhere for the right car and deal. Please let me know if you have one or know anyone who might! Thank you.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: ISO Tercel 4x4 6-speed

Post by NWMO »

marx,

You are in the right area (PNW). Good luck, they are fun cars.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I have a friend with one that has been sitting in his yard for ten years. I helped him tow it home and replace the blown engine, and drove it around the block when we got it running. but he never transferred the title in his name, nor got it on the road (I think he likes his big chevy pick up truck too much).

it is gold colored, I think a 1984 as I recall, SR5 with six speed manual trans. New clutch, in decent shape with a few scraps and now a bit of surface rust from sitting so long. it may now need rear back brake seals replaced since it has sat so long, same with the battery. it has new hoses and fan belts on the engine (I installed them when we installed the replacement engine). the interior is actually fairly good as I recall with the "picknick blanket paid" seats. I can ask him about it, see what he wants for it. we are about 4 hours drive north of Portland in WA. it was originally an Oregon car, and still has the old OR plates since never got it on the road.

Let me know if interested, I can post pictures of it.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
marx

Post by marx »

Petros wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:18 am I have a friend with one that has been sitting in his yard for ten years. I helped him tow it home and replace the blown engine, and drove it around the block when we got it running. but he never transferred the title in his name, nor got it on the road (I think he likes his big chevy pick up truck too much).

it is gold colored, I think a 1984 as I recall, SR5 with six speed manual trans. New clutch, in decent shape with a few scraps and now a bit of surface rust from sitting so long. it may now need rear back brake seals replaced since it has sat so long, same with the battery. it has new hoses and fan belts on the engine (I installed them when we installed the replacement engine). the interior is actually fairly good as I recall with the "picknick blanket paid" seats. I can ask him about it, see what he wants for it. we are about 4 hours drive north of Portland in WA. it was originally an Oregon car, and still has the old OR plates since never got it on the road.

Let me know if interested, I can post pictures of it.
@petros, don't quite know the best way to reply to someone as I am new. That would be awesome though, definitely interested if you could ask him about it and post some pictures. Thank you!
Hoodwagon
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5

Post by Hoodwagon »

Mine is up for no reserve auction Marx, check it out at
https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3o2N0J ... -4wd-wagon
1985 Toyota Tercel SR5
Pacific Northwest, USA
marx

Post by marx »

Hoodwagon wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:50 pm Mine is up for no reserve auction Marx, check it out at
https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3o2N0J ... -4wd-wagon
That thing is beautiful, I will definitely keep my eye on it.