1983 Tercel 4WD for Sale in Rancho Cucamonga, CA - 6-spd

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
errorship
My tercel:: 1983 bone stock

1983 Tercel 4WD for Sale in Rancho Cucamonga, CA - 6-spd

Post by errorship »

Hello all,
Long time reader/lurker, first time poster. I purchased this Tercel late last year in somewhat running condition and with some effort, was able to get it smogged and back into the system. The car ran fine for a bit but eventually developed starting issues and would occasionally lose power or shut off while driving. I love the car, but am now moving to Oregon and sadly, cannot take the car with me. Would make a nice project for someone with some time for it or a parts car if that is to be it's destiny~
A.JPG
B.JPG
C.JPG
Exterior:
Most importantly, the body is very straight, fully intact, and in good shape minus a crack on the left taillight (I have a replacement taillight assembly) and a very small ding on the front passenger fender. Also it is fairly dirty and could definitely use paint - Unless the subtly blotchy cream look is your jam.
D.JPG
G.jpg
Interior:
The interior needs work. From my understanding, the car spent a large portion of its life as a light-duty vehicle on a farm. There are clear bite marks on various bits of the interior from a dog or dogs that lived on that farm and apparently spent a lot of time with the car. The door panels also need vinyl because of this. The front passenger seat had been removed and repurposed before I purchased it, so I attempted to replace the front seats with mk1 MR2 seats as I figured it would make a nice fit - physically and aesthetically. In the end I liked them, but the bolt pattern was a bit off, so the seats are in with only 3 bolts instead of 4 :/ I still have the one original plaid seat from the driver's side in the garage.
E.JPG
F.JPG
IMG_4534.JPG
Mechanical:
I had the carburetor rebuilt shortly after purchasing, but the mounting plate was mistakenly not put back in it's place - It is in the trunk. Never drove the car too far, but initially it did fine. Once the starting/stalling issues became more apparent, I drove the car even more sparingly. The last time I turned the key, I got dash lights but no click or crank, but I suspect this could be battery, battery terminal, or distributor cap which I have, just never put in. The car may also need a new fuel pump (starving the carb?), but I am no mechanic and cannot say for sure. I have yet to even try jumping the car, but will soon and will update. Odometer shows just over 145K original miles on the chassis.

I'm asking $650 OBO

Also have a set of mk1 MR2 rims intended to go on the car that could be bundled or sold separately.

Thanks for reading!
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Re: 1983 Tercel 4WD for Sale in Rancho Cucamonga, CA - 6-spd

Post by Mattel »

Thanks for sharing with us. Lets hope we can find someone who can keep it on the road. body looks in great condition. TIme for another road trip for Petros I think!
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Mista B
My tercel:: 86 GTS Corolla

Post by Mista B »

This kills my soul that you are sooooooo far!. Anyone know a shipping company that would bring this up to canada for me??
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I would be interested. I will be going to the Los Angeles area within the next two months, I can not come before than.

Do you know what the problem with the engine would be? can it be driven at all?

I would have to find out what is wrong with it, and than give a good once over for a road trip and drive it back to the Seattle area. I have family in Torrance, where if I can get it there, I can work on fixing it. I know I can clean it up and find a good home for in the PNW, where these cars have almost a cult following.

Hey Mista, if I can bring that car to the Seattle area, it would much closer to you than where it is now. Still a bit of hike to Edmonton but more than half the distance. Perhaps we can work something out?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
errorship

Post by errorship »

Petros, sorry for the delayed response, this week has been quite hectic.

I think that could actually work. My family has agreed to hold on to the car in Rancho Cucamonga for a few months, but it definitely can't stay much longer than that. I just registered it as non-Op and the receipt told me it will cost $38 to bring back into the system.

I believe it could make it to Torrance, but would likely require stops to rest along the way. The last time I drove it, it shut off on me twice during a 30 min drive, although it was a very hot day - not sure if that could play into things. Again, I'm no mechanic and have only done very basic repairs (breaks, fuel filters, interior/exterior parts, etc.).

I'm definitely open to working something out if you're interested. Perhaps I'd even want to buy the old thing back from you if you did end up fixing it up :]
errorship

Post by errorship »

Mista B wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:34 am This kills my soul that you are sooooooo far!. Anyone know a shipping company that would bring this up to canada for me??
Man have I been there - usually looking into shipping vehicles from out your way and its typically a good quarter of the cost of the vehicle if not more :/
errorship

Post by errorship »

Petros wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:38 pm I would be interested. I will be going to the Los Angeles area within the next two months, I can not come before than.

Do you know what the problem with the engine would be? can it be driven at all?

I would have to find out what is wrong with it, and than give a good once over for a road trip and drive it back to the Seattle area. I have family in Torrance, where if I can get it there, I can work on fixing it. I know I can clean it up and find a good home for in the PNW, where these cars have almost a cult following.

Hey Mista, if I can bring that car to the Seattle area, it would much closer to you than where it is now. Still a bit of hike to Edmonton but more than half the distance. Perhaps we can work something out?
Petros, sorry for the delayed response, this week has been quite hectic.

I think that could actually work. My family has agreed to hold on to the car in Rancho Cucamonga for a few months, but it definitely can't stay much longer than that. I just registered it as non-Op and the receipt told me it will cost $38 to bring back into the system.

I believe it could make it to Torrance, but would likely require stops to rest along the way. The last time I drove it, it shut off on me twice during a 30 min drive, although it was a very hot day - not sure if that could play into things. Again, I'm no mechanic and have only done very basic repairs (breaks, fuel filters, interior/exterior parts, etc.).

I'm definitely open to working something out if you're interested. Perhaps I'd even want to buy the old thing back from you if you did end up fixing it up :]
Mista B

Post by Mista B »

Petros wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:38 pm Hey Mista, if I can bring that car to the Seattle area, it would much closer to you than where it is now. Still a bit of hike to Edmonton but more than half the distance. Perhaps we can work something out?
I don’t hate this idea at all. Still with the borders being closed it doesn’t help my situation. But being closer might make it worth flying down and limping it back and then enjoying a two week quarantine to work on this rig and get her back in tip top shape.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Mista, I have done many Tercel4wd "rescues" around the USA, sometimes flying out and driving them 5000 miles back aross the country afer I fix them on site.

this could work out if we can all come to an agreement on a reasonable price to make it worth doing, and to recover my costs. I enjoy the road trips, and mostly want to recover my costs out of it, fuel, parts, etc.

Typically I will get the car to a place where I can give it a good detailed inspection, check out, and general service. I will top up or change all the fluids, check seals, bearings, brakes, etc. anything that needs to be replaced I will do so, including the clutch and head gasket if necessary. In this case I have a good place to work from at our old family home. My sister has been caring for my elderly father and wants to take some time off around Christmas, and my wife and I agreed to come stay with him for a week or so (my wife also have family in the Los Angeles area to visit). Typically I do things around the house for my dad, he sleeps a lot anyway, and it would give me a good place to give the car a good once over, test drive, etc. than once I am confident it is in good mechancal shape, I would drive it back to where we live in the Seattle area (we are actually an hour north of Seattle), and I would there give it a good cleaning, and replace any other parts that I discovers on the road trip that it might need.

Anytime after that you can come pick it up, I would be happy to pick you up at the local airport (Everett is easiest, but Bellingham or Seattle can work too). and we have a guest room you are welcome to stay in, I would show you all I have learned about the car, and you can be on your way back, (with spares I would suggest to carry). the only issue might be that you have to forward the paper work (bill of sale, title, etc.) to the boarder station you will be crossing at (check the Canadian boarder instruction for what you need to do). when you get there you present the car for inspection to the boarder guards, and they check it for the serial number, and you can drive it home, with something like 30 days (check on that) to get it livened in your home providence. It will have to pass a safety inspection, which hopefully I would have found everything it needs and have taken care of it before you even get the car.

It would be a fun adventure, if you want to give it a go we should discuss prices. I have done this several times with Canadian Tercel buyers, usually works out well. one word of caution, I will do my best to make sure it is in top mechanical condition, but this is a 35 year old car, and any number of critical things can fail and leave you stranded. That is rare because it is a very reliable and well designed car, but eventually everything will wear out and a significant failure can happen. You will be faced with either a costly long distance tow, or find someone local to fix it (which could take weeks if they need to locate parts for it and they might take advantage of you), and you return to drive it home. the alternative is to sell to a local wrecker and leave it. sometimes you can get $300-400 for it at a yard, so it would at least pay for your return trip. Those are the risks.

I think I have bought something like 12 or 13 non running Tercels in distant states and successfully fix them and brought them all back to our home. Only twice something broke I could not fix the the side of the road (one time was not even the car's fault, I hit a deer and it damaged the radiator, grill and hood). both times I was able to find a place to leave the car for a week or two, and return with the parts I need to fix it and drive it home. So I am confident I can fix anything it would need with only the tools I carry in my tool kit. considering how old these cars are i would say that is a pretty good track record. This particular Tercel4wd has been a daily driver, so I would not anticipate it needing much other than routine service and perhaps a few parts to fix the stalling problem.

how does that all sound?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Mista B

Post by Mista B »

Petros wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:33 pm Mista, I have done many Tercel4wd "rescues" around the USA, sometimes flying out and driving them 5000 miles back aross the country afer I fix them on site.
I'll send you a DM and we can chat for sure!
Toyteam87
My tercel:: WTB

Post by Toyteam87 »

I’m more than willing to take it off your hands. Text me 562 967 98one5