Kijiji posting in Kamloops -Warning-

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
Mista B
My tercel:: 86 GTS Corolla

Kijiji posting in Kamloops -Warning-

Post by Mista B »

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/kam ... 1511207494

Just a note I would like to add, or caution to potential buyers.......

So, I contacted this seller and spoke to him for just over a half hour about the car. He tells me he has rebuilt the engine and put in new ball joints and tie rods and that it runs like a top. Also he dove into how the interior is MINT and has just been detailed at his brothers detail shop.
I asked about some more pictures and was told the pictures show the bad areas and that the rest of the car is great/near perfect for its age.
Also the car has brand new studded winter tires.
But the seller was away on Sunday and couldn’t get me any pictures until Monday morning.

I decided to rip out to Kamloops (8 hour drive) to grab it as the ad was only a few hours old and had 100+ hits and he had already received some deposit offers but didn’t want to take a deposit for his own personal security reasons. I said hold it for me I will be there tonight and see you tomorrow morning.

Now for the info needed for anyone looking at this….

Seller calls me Sunday night just as we get into town (10pm) and he is so drunk he cant form a sentence.
I tell him its late and we will come in the morning, he insists we come tonight, I hesitantly agree.
He called me another 8 times in the next 25 minutes while we were eating, each time forgetting he called me already and so we had the same conversation each time.
We leave to go to his place, he calls and swears at me ten different ways about “where the hell are you”. I tell him five minutes away. He calms down and hangs up.
I get there…… car has been sitting on flat tires for at least two months. Tires are 10 years old, yet I was told they were new studded winter tires…. great.
Interior is covered in mud and dust and dirt and the back seat is ripped and tattered. And the interior is not matching, its from a few different cars.
The side of the car you cant see in the ad is just as bad as the side you can see. Rust on the rear arch and the front fender is rotted out on the top. By no means is the car terrible but its not cleaner on the other side and its quite crusty underneath but no areas I could see that really concerned me.
Car will not start! He floods it real good and proceeds to spray half a can of some sort of a version of ether (carb cleaner/brake clean) into the carb to get it started.
After draining 5 different batteries trying to start it he finally gets it going and its “idling” at a smooth 3700rpm!!
Wait it gets better. He then brings it to redline for a good ten seconds then gets out and tells me it will run great when it warms up.
We wait while its screaming at 3700rpm for a few minutes then he reached for the throttle on the engine and revs it up to the red line again. This all at midnight and his neighbors lights start turning on one after another.
At this point I it finally drops down to around 1100rpm and sounds….. ok-ish.
I tell him its late and I will see him in the morning.

In the morning I called him and told him I am going to pass on the car. It wont pass an Alberta OOP inspection without a fair amount of work and due to the condition inside and out and the non running engine I will wait for a cleaner example and just pay more if needed.

He called me about 3 hours into my road trip home to tell me the car runs great now and he fixed the timing…. I told him the ship has sailed and o follow up with his other offers.

Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to warn any potential buyers about the car. I’m sure he would sell it for $1000 as he was trying to offer me a deal afterwards.

Just know that even though he rebuilt the engine and maybe it actually starts now, he has bagged the piss out of this little thing offroading , he told me, and the mud covered interior confirms lol and I’m sure his midnight redlines on a motor that has sat for 2 months and had bad timing didn’t help it at all.

If you’re from BC and don’t need an OOP inspection and have a good donor car with a nice interior and solid drivetrain it would be a decent shell.

That’s all I got! Hope it helps!
Last edited by Mista B on Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Kijiji posting in Kamloops -Warning-

Post by dlb »

Good information, thanks for sharing. Good idea passing on the car.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

Posting already gone. Thanks for posting your info. It's a real drag when people aren't up front with what they are selling.
Mista B
My tercel:: 86 GTS Corolla

Post by Mista B »

Ha, looks like they reposted it and even adjusted the price from $1500 up to $1900 haha . I have the new link posted below and will try and edit the original post as well.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/kam ... 1511207494