WTB - Looking for a Tercel!

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
Mista B
My tercel:: 86 GTS Corolla

WTB - Looking for a Tercel!

Post by Mista B »

Afternoon Guys and Gals,

Long time lurker here, finally decided to sign up as I’m looking for another project to work on now that my old 86 Corolla GTS is basically completed now.
Had a 4wd Tercel as one of my first cars and loved it, but was hit from behind and I never ended up replacing it.
God, I think that was 20 years ago now... :shock:
Always loved these little boxy units though and after missing out on a few solid examples by a day and one by only a few minutes :evil: I figured I’d see if anyone here has any leads on a solid shell.
I can scour the internet as good as the rest of you I’m sure, so I’ve seen what’s out there right now, maybe you know of one or two that aren’t posted? Maybe you want to sell me one of your six? I see you guys with 4+ units! Lol I love it.
After building and restoring a few old corollas I’m not afraid of swapping drivetrains if needed, rebuilding engines is simple on these old guys. Also being that I’ve built 10+ 4AGE engines and have 4-5 sitting in my storage unit, I don’t see why I wouldn’t put that power plant in the car I get, unless its running like a top as is.
Looking for a solid shell mostly, I already have a car I think I’m buying for its 4wd driveline and good interior. But she’s rotted to the core and will survive/live on as an organ donor.
I’m located in Edmonton Alberta, Canada, and hoping to find something for under $4,000 CAD. I don’t mind driving a ways to get it or shipping it from the states if its the right car, but I’m not sure how getting used cars over the boarder works in this new COVID world we are living in.

Sorry, that was long winded, maybe a compbo WTB and Introduction.
If you want to see my corolla you will find me on instantgram @mattyballz86

Thanks for having me!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: WTB - Looking for a Tercel!

Post by Petros »

welcome! it would be nice to see a good 4age swap here. there are a couple Tercel4wd in the for sale section, all in the states.

Good luck on your search.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Mista B

Post by Mista B »

Just moving this back to the top! Still on the hunt!
ALiveSR5
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Was a stock 1985, SR5, 4WD, 6-speed manual, Wagon.

Post by ALiveSR5 »

My post may be of interest, if I can bring myself to sell.

viewtopic.php?f=6&p=111978#p111978
No other vehicle that I have ever owned had a heart and soul like my 1985 Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon. :D
~
Great minds may think alike but it is the doers who see their visions become reality. :?
Mista B

Post by Mista B »

Oh man that is a tough one, looks like she’s in great shape still, totally worth saving. But you are about 3,600kms away from me and I don’t think bringing a car across the boarder and doing the personal quarantines on both trips pas would make it a beneficial transaction for me haha.

I really hope you are able to fix it and keep it on the road though. Too many end up in the dump for no reason as all.
ALiveSR5
Top Notch Member

Post by ALiveSR5 »

Mista B wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:59 am Oh man that is a tough one, looks like she’s in great shape still, totally worth saving. But you are about 3,600kms away from me and I don’t think bringing a car across the boarder and doing the personal quarantines on both trips pas would make it a beneficial transaction for me haha.

I really hope you are able to fix it and keep it on the road though. Too many end up in the dump for no reason as all.
Yeah, still thinking maybe I could find someone to do some welding - I think the bad spots can be safely patched.

Getting it across the boarder would be a challenge, now, though I had been wanting to visit there for quite some time. I have no idea what would be involved with transferring title and this is the so-called Federal model (not California or Canadian).

Thanks for posting.
No other vehicle that I have ever owned had a heart and soul like my 1985 Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon. :D
~
Great minds may think alike but it is the doers who see their visions become reality. :?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

getting an older car into Canada is not such a big deal, you have to plan ahead and send the paper work info (title, bill of sale, etc.) ahead to the crossing point you intend to use, present it at the border when you drive through. than you have something like 30 days to have it pass a safety inspection and than you can be issued a Canadian title. there may have to be a certificate from law enforcement saying it is not stolen, I do not recall, but I have sold good running Tercel4wd to forum members who live in Canada several times. there will be some fees of course, but it can be done. I think there are instructions on the Canadian government website on importing cars.

not sure how the current Covid scare will change things, may have to wait a few more months to do it.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ALiveSR5
Top Notch Member

Post by ALiveSR5 »

Petros wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:34 am getting an older car into Canada is not such a big deal, you have to plan ahead and send the paper work info (title, bill of sale, etc.) ahead to the crossing point you intend to use, present it at the border when you drive through.
Excellent information! Thanks. I have been on the buying end more than the selling end of vehicle exchanges and only in the U.S. I look forward to finding an appreciative buyer for my Tercel.
~
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

They have added another requirement to importing a vehicle too. If you buy through a dealer, they do this for you. With a private sale you have to acquire an ITA number that was a complete PITA and costs extra too. I was using a border crossing that was quite small so that may have added to the complication.
Rednecklawrence
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 5.5 Tercels total... Not enough

Post by Rednecklawrence »

Wow, not many people on here from this area, I too am just outside Edmonton! I've been there, looking for a rust free specimen. Hard to find around here. But I have also fairly recently acquired not one, but TWO wagons, that used to belong to member LeeBiew. That's in addition to the 1.5 wagons I already have... Plans are to restore the best of the bunch, and I would want it all stock, but someone with so many 4AGEs nearby is a compelling upgrade if you were to want to let one go. Good luck on the search, might have to have a wagon meet when the time comes!
Rednecklawrence
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 5.5 Tercels total... Not enough

Post by Rednecklawrence »

Also, just posted this: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15278