this might get me booted but...(subaru alert)

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

this might get me booted but...(subaru alert)

Post by dlb »

https://nanaimo.craigslist.org/cto/d/na ... 89530.html

I know, I know, it's a Subaru. I'm ready for the vitriol, lol.

I don't see much value in this car (rusted through, auto trans) but I think the turbo is neat. Never heard of it on these cars before. Professor, you are the resident Subaru expert -- was turbo common on these things?
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: this might get me booted but...(subaru alert)

Post by NWMO »

dlb,

I wouldn’t mind trying a subaru at some point, who knows. I’m surprised Prof hasn’t been by and he can clarify, but the turbo was offered on and I would guess stock on some of the subbies. It seems when I’ve looked at sale ads etc., maybe 10% or so have the turbo.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Jarf
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Currently without

Post by Jarf »

We had a customer that drove one back in the day.
He loved the car.
IIRC, only the 4WD's had the turbo option available.

The only complaint I remember him having was the wheels were very flexible and always going out of balance.
Early Subbies can be a lot of fun, if I found one that wasn't swiss cheese, I would seriously consider acquiring it.
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

Craigslist is blocked for me on this computer, but there were a couple flavors of vintage turbocharged Subarus.

The EA81 chassis ('80-89) got a turbo engine option for the '83/'84 model years. OHV 8-valve engine, 95 hp/123 lb-ft, only available with a part-time 4WD automatic transmission.
The EA82 chassis ('85-'94) had a turbo engine from the get-go and this chassis replaced the EA81 chassis except for the BRAT and hatchback bodies. OHC 8-valve engine, 115 hp/134 lb-ft, available in both FWD and 4WD, automatic, manual, or a full-time 4WD with center diff lock in the racy RX trim and on some XT turbos.

The EA81T-powered vehicles aren't very common today (my '84 turbo wagon had a $10k MSRP), but the engine is quite stout with regular maintenance. The EA82Ts were much more common (still a small percentage of overall production) and can still be found today, although the OHC heads are not tolerant of overheating and one good overheating event can doom the engine.

Both are great cars, but they really wake up when you drop in the EJ-turbo engines from the later WRXs, etc. 300+ hp in a sub-2,600 lb AWD car makes for a bucket-load of grins! (Not my car, but this guy built my RX-RA) https://youtu.be/AMWsYNPWYok
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Professor- how do the old tin cans hold up to that big a bump in power? Classic drag cars with the LF tire a foot higher than the other comes to mind.
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

While the engine swap in my car is approaching 10+ years in service, it was one of the first cars in the U.S. to get the EJ-swap into the EA82 body. Additionally, my particular car was used as a dedicated rallycross car for a decent number of years post-swap, so not your typical example.

That said, these cars aren't really known for the chassis falling apart, such as the front strut towers on our beloved Tercels tend to do. Also, the chassis was homologated for FIA competition, so there is a 20+ page booklet of instructions from Subaru on how to reinforce the body for off-road motorsports use, how to modify the engine internals for competition, etc.

Because the transmission/front axles/front brakes can all be swapped over from later Imprezas and Legacys, only the rear axles become the weak link once you start adding cubic horsepower and drag launches.
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited