1983 Tercel SR5 4WD on Copart in Eugene, OR

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
AugustusFerdinand
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 Toyota Tercel SR5

1983 Tercel SR5 4WD on Copart in Eugene, OR

Post by AugustusFerdinand »

Short notice, goes up for auction in about 7 hours: https://www.copart.com/lot/49248859

Exterior is beat up, but engine bay and interior look to be in good condition and all there.
1983 Toyota Tercel SR5 - 7AGE swap in progress
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD on Copart in Eugene, OR

Post by Petros »

looks rough, no bid so far. located in Eugene OR. if you are a copart registered dealer you likely can pick this one up cheap, well worth it, looks like it can be fixed up without too much effort (new front bumper for sure).

if I recall that decal is part of a rare "ski wagon" trim line. it also has the inclinometer installed.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
AugustusFerdinand
Top Notch Member

FYI either it didn't sell the first time or the auction was cancelled for some reason, it's still available and listed with a "future" date for the auction.

Also in Oregon you don't need a dealer/business license. Anyone can buy any vehicle from Copart in Oregon. Which is better than we have it in Texas. Here you have to have a business license to buy clean title directly, a normal non-business owner can only buy salvage titles directly. If you want a clean title and don't have a business, you have to go through a broker.

If I lived anywhere close I'd be on it for parts, but Texas is a long drive from Oregon and I've done that drive (to Washington for a Tercel actually) already and no interest in doing it again.
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

I'm in Texas as well and have a guy who partakes in this business. I asked him about it and he said shipping would be killer to get it here. I just want the entire interior. :(
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

shipping would likely be about $2000.

I have delivered cars for the cost of the round trip, just for the fun of a road trip.

it would likely be $800-1000, about half, but still costly.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
AugustusFerdinand
Top Notch Member

FYI this one has been given another auction date of 10/22/2019 at 02:00 pm CDT.
señor.tercel4wd
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1983 Toyota Tercel 4WD SR5

Post by señor.tercel4wd »

Just letting y'all know that I ended up buying this thing. It was a birthday gift to myself lol...

The lot listing said "runs and drives" we'll see how much of that is true. Ideally it makes it all the way down to SoCal. Pray for me boys 🙏
'83 Tercel SR5 Wagon Overland Build Thread >>> viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14880
AugustusFerdinand
Top Notch Member

señor.tercel4wd wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:17 pm Just letting y'all know that I ended up buying this thing. It was a birthday gift to myself lol...

The lot listing said "runs and drives" we'll see how much of that is true. Ideally it makes it all the way down to SoCal. Pray for me boys 🙏
Yay! How much did you pay for it (before and after fees)?

Sending all the positive 80's vibes your way.
señor.tercel4wd
Advanced Member

AugustusFerdinand wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:37 pm
señor.tercel4wd wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:17 pm Just letting y'all know that I ended up buying this thing. It was a birthday gift to myself lol...

$350 (love me a good deal). With the rest of the fees the total price quickly escalated to $588 but only you guys will know that. When I talk about this car to others the price will be the winning bid lol...

And thanks for the vibes man *fades into "You're my obession" by Animotion*
AugustusFerdinand
Top Notch Member

señor.tercel4wd wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:42 pm

$350 (love me a good deal). With the rest of the fees the total price quickly escalated to $588 but only you guys will know that. When I talk about this car to others the price will be the winning bid lol...

What did the bidding start at? Would think it have been a bit less with no sale at all last time. Makes me wonder if this post made someone bid against you...

The $350 is the price, no one talks about the TT&L when they buy a car. I know I don't tell people about the taxable assumed presumptive value, title, and license fees Texas charged me for the free T4WD I picked up. It's a free car as far as they are concerned.

*starts bumping "Flock of Seagulls - I Ran" at max volume to send the 80's power vibes for your trip*
señor.tercel4wd
Advanced Member

AugustusFerdinand wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:45 pm
señor.tercel4wd wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:42 pm

What did the bidding start at? Would think it have been a bit less with no sale at all last time. Makes me wonder if this post made someone bid against you...

The $350 is the price, no one talks about the TT&L when they buy a car. I know I don't tell people about the taxable assumed presumptive value, title, and license fees Texas charged me for the free T4WD I picked up. It's a free car as far as they are concerned.

*starts bumping "Flock of Seagulls - I Ran" at max volume to send the 80's power vibes for your trip*
It started at $100 and it didn't budge for about a week but then the day right before people starting pre-bidding online. When I actually submitted my first and last bid someone already had the lot at $325. Luckily it didn't turn into full-fledged bidding war.

As far as the post goes, I wouldn't kick yourself about it. The Copart auction showed that someone from Oregon (a local i assume) was the previous bid.

I did the same with '99 Cobra. I bought it from the previous owner 3 years ago. When it came time to fill out the Bill of Sale, he asked me "how much do I put?" and I was like "...um, how bout free?" 👀

Such great taste in music. It comes with the territory I guess lol... Thanks man, we leave LA tonight at 8pm. We're making a stop in Arcata, CA (11 hrs) to see my sister who's a freshman at CSU Humboldt (she's a little home sick). Then after our pit stop straight to go pick up the Tercel in Eugene. Let the good times roll after that.

*slams cassette into Tercel tape deck Michael Sembello - "Maniac" start playing from 35+ old speakers*
AugustusFerdinand
Top Notch Member

señor.tercel4wd wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:23 pm
It started at $100 and it didn't budge for about a week but then the day right before people starting pre-bidding online. When I actually submitted my first and last bid someone already had the lot at $325. Luckily it didn't turn into full-fledged bidding war.

As far as the post goes, I wouldn't kick yourself about it. The Copart auction showed that someone from Oregon (a local i assume) was the previous bid.

I did the same with '99 Cobra. I bought it from the previous owner 3 years ago. When it came time to fill out the Bill of Sale, he asked me "how much do I put?" and I was like "...um, how bout free?" 👀

Such great taste in music. It comes with the territory I guess lol... Thanks man, we leave LA tonight at 8pm. We're making a stop in Arcata, CA (11 hrs) to see my sister who's a freshman at CSU Humboldt (she's a little home sick). Then after our pit stop straight to go pick up the Tercel in Eugene. Let the good times roll after that.

*slams cassette into Tercel tape deck Michael Sembello - "Maniac" start playing from 35+ old speakers*
I assume you actually paid for the 99 Cobra though, my Terc really was free from a guy in Colorado.

Good luck, let us know when you're home, drive safe and enjoy the sweet sweet sounds of...

...Peter Gabriel's ‘Sledgehammer’ from the crackle and pop of ancient speakers.
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

This road trip reminds me of the Roadkill boys on their adventures. I was hoping to do the same with a recently acquired 1987 Subaru RX coupe, but after a quick test drive I noticed a coolant leak, so onto the U-Haul it went.

...The Professor zooms by, New Edition's "Cool It Now" blasting from a pair of living room speakers stuffed into the cargo area.
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
AugustusFerdinand
Top Notch Member

You make it home yet?

I tried to do the same with a pair of Tercel's before I picked up my free one in Colorado. Borrowed my father-in-law's truck then a buddy of mine and I drove from Texas to Washington state with the intent of picking up one good T4WD and one with front end damage. Intent was to tow the damaged one and I'd drive the good one. Got to Washington to find I'd been lied to and the "good" one was completely filled with water and mold inside along with barely able to idle, bungee cord as a throttle return spring, etc. I just walked away and the guy selling them seemed shocked that I'd come all that way and just leave.

...Professor passes guy sitting in the back of his Terc, hatch open with a ghetto blaster, volume on full sneding Dead Or Alive's 'You Spin Me Round' into the atmosphere.
señor.tercel4wd
Advanced Member

The Professor wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:59 am This road trip reminds me of the Roadkill boys on their adventures. I was hoping to do the same with a recently acquired 1987 Subaru RX coupe, but after a quick test drive I noticed a coolant leak, so onto the U-Haul it went.

...The Professor zooms by, New Edition's "Cool It Now" blasting from a pair of living room speakers stuffed into the cargo area.
AugustusFerdinand wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:59 am You make it home yet?

I tried to do the same with a pair of Tercel's before I picked up my free one in Colorado. Borrowed my father-in-law's truck then a buddy of mine and I drove from Texas to Washington state with the intent of picking up one good T4WD and one with front end damage. Intent was to tow the damaged one and I'd drive the good one. Got to Washington to find I'd been lied to and the "good" one was completely filled with water and mold inside along with barely able to idle, bungee cord as a throttle return spring, etc. I just walked away and the guy selling them seemed shocked that I'd come all that way and just leave.

...Professor passes guy sitting in the back of his Terc, hatch open with a ghetto blaster, volume on full sneding Dead Or Alive's 'You Spin Me Round' into the atmosphere.
LOL yeah... I made it home this Saturday (which my sleep deprived self slept for most of the day) and I spent all of yesterday detailing the car to get a real idea of the car's actual condition.

Surprisingly, the Tercel drove on it's own power the entire 17hrs (Eugene, OR > Arcata,CA and then Arcata, CA > Los Angeles, CA). I managed to get the Tercel up to 86 mph according to my GPS on some of the downhill and flat parts.

I'll post all the details on my thread viewtopic.php?p=109364#p109364

Blasted The Proclaimers - "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" on repeat for the entire roadtrip with the windows rolled down to give fair warning before running over any dear in the surrounding area