Ebay Tercel

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Ebay Tercel

Post by NWMO »

Some nice pics of an attractive Tercel.

Ebay Tercel
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Ebay Tercel

Post by irowiki »

Looks fantastic, but that rear hatch is a replacement, that hatch is from a pre-third-brake-light model!
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

irowiki,

I’m not big on the window tint, but in AZ or other similar places it makes sense. I hadn’t paid attention to the third brake light.

I have my honeybees in the lower pasture at my parent’s house since we moved to town, I love EL for crawling through the tall grass and up the steeper hills. Do the auto trannies have the EL gear?

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

No The automatic is just a three-speed.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
jimijuma

Post by jimijuma »

irowiki wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:56 pm Looks fantastic, but that rear hatch is a replacement, that hatch is from a pre-third-brake-light model!

Can you explain this a little? I wouldn’t have spotted this in a million years.......
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Jimi,

The linked pic shows the 86’ and later model from the rear. There is a third break light at the base of the rear window and the wiper rests in the up position vs down (among other changes).

I also notice the plastic license plate surround got some paint and the SR5 badge isn’t there.

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/used ... 57_934.jpg

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
jimijuma

Post by jimijuma »

NWMO wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:45 am Jimi,

The linked pic shows the 86’ and later model from the rear. There is a third break light at the base of the rear window and the wiper rests in the up position vs down (among other changes).

I also notice the plastic license plate surround got some paint and the SR5 badge isn’t there.

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/used ... 57_934.jpg

Chris
Ahh, thanks for the clarification.

So as a potential buyer, is this a big deal? Probably got rear ended at some point, but the title is clear. I wish it had the inclinometer and a sunroof. I also wish I would've seen the '83 that sold earlier this year on bringatrailer. I have wanted one of these for years and am now finally in a position to purchase one. My preference would be to get one that is in incredible shape like this one.

Is there any advantage to the later years as opposed to the earlier ones?
Abletobecain
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD DLX, 1986 4WD SR5, 1985 4WD SR5, 1983 4WD SR5

Post by Abletobecain »

It might not have been rear ended...maybe just got some decent cancer back there...common occurrence on these babies. Inclinometer you can purchase and bolt in. Wiring isn't too bad either...there's threads on it. I'm actually about to but in an old 4Runner inclinometer in my 87. Sunroof could be installed too but is a much bigger project. Later years (85 and up I think) have 4.10 gears instead of 3.73 which makes it feel like it has more power although you're really just running higher rpms. Other than that I believe it's just cosmetic differences. I do have to say that I prefer the black interior in my 87. Congrats on being in a spot to get a really nice one! I think this is one of the nicer ones I've seen for sale. I hope you get it!
1977 BMW R100S 1WD ("Brunhilda"/Summer Fun)
1983 DLX Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Charlie"/Daily Driver)
1987 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Sprocket"/Off-road-Camping)
1985 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Lucky"/Project)
1983 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Cadaver"/Parts Car)
1985 Ford F250 6.9IDI ("Franklin"/Hauler)
1987 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Ravensburger"/in a million pieces)
2006 BMW 530XI Wagon ("Inga"/Roadtripper)
1969 Mercury Montego MX Convertible ("Big Ed"/My Dad's Old Car)
1983 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Al"/for sale soon)
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Jimi,
Is there any advantage to the later years as opposed to the earlier ones?
Here is a link to a discussion on this site that covers most of the changes. From a safety standpoint, starting in 86' they included the nuetral start safety, so it won't start in gear. I've only startled myself on a couple of occasions :roll: .

changes thru the years

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

jimijuma wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:08 pm
irowiki wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:56 pm Looks fantastic, but that rear hatch is a replacement, that hatch is from a pre-third-brake-light model!

Can you explain this a little? I wouldn’t have spotted this in a million years.......
It got explained but BASICALLY this is a case of "I know way too much than I should about Tercel Wagons" :lol:

I find it amusing when I look at pictures of cars I look for all the things that shouldn't be there, since most owners mod their cars over the years.

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

In other news I think that reserve price is nuts, and not sure it's worth quite so much...
Attachments
ebaycel.png
ebaycel.png (9.98 KiB) Viewed 2968 times

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k