For Sale: "The Burrito" 1986 SR5 4wd Manual White Rascal $2200 o.b.o.

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
emilyrobin
My tercel:: "The Burrito" 1986 Toyota Tercel wagon

For Sale: "The Burrito" 1986 SR5 4wd Manual White Rascal $2200 o.b.o.

Post by emilyrobin »

Hello everyone -

I am selling my '86 Tercel wagon and it's a bittersweet goodbye. But we recently scored a '98 4Runner, so this one has to go.

I've been lurking on this forum for years and I'm continually impressed with your friendliness, sincerity, and wisdom. I'm so glad y'all exist!

Hope it's cool that I gave a terc4wd.com shout-out on my post :D

Here's the link to my CL ad:

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto ... 41039.html

I have a couple of interested buyers here in the Portland area. If you're not 100% ready to drive here immediately and hand me fistfuls of cash, do you think the asking price is fair, given that it needs a new timing belt (plus fixing the many other "quirks" we've come to tolerate)? I've put over $2500 into it (dropped almost $2k right after I bought it for $1300) so it would be VERY COOL to get at least what I paid plus inflation, lol.

Thanks for all of your help over the years...maybe one day I'll join the club again. The Burrito will have my heart forever! <3
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: For Sale: "The Burrito" 1986 SR5 4wd Manual White Rascal $2200 o.b.o.

Post by dlb »

I've been away from the t4 world for a long time so I'm not the best equipped to judge a selling price but I'd say your price is fair -- I think it's slightly high considering some of the issues you mentioned in the ad but I always expect to come down slightly on the price when haggling with prospective buyers so considering that, it's probably fine. Good luck with the sale.
emilyrobin
My tercel:: "The Burrito" 1986 Toyota Tercel wagon

Post by emilyrobin »

Oh for sure, I'm willing to haggle a bit :) I aimed to start around the same price I've seen for similar wagons in my area with more or less the same amount of issues.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

sounds like a great price, really clean car. those issues you say it needs are not pressing, really they are routine normal maintenace and worth doing on any car you get used anyway. if the time belt fails it will not harm this engine (unlike most modern engines), but best not to push your luck. not a difficult change however compared to modern cars. all of the parts to fix it would would be less than $100.

if perhaps you fix those last items, particularly the window crank, you can likely get over $3000 for it in the Puget Sound area (where they are still popular). Portland should be similar market. good examples of older cars like this are rare, people will be pay a high price for this car as a good daily driver.

I see no reason to lower the price, but I would down play those issues you say it needs on your ad. they are not pressing and are normal maintenance.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)