1981 tercel/corolla 94,000 original miles - $1000

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
stayparanoid
My tercel:: 1981 toyota tercel

1981 tercel/corolla 94,000 original miles - $1000

Post by stayparanoid »

i live in austin texas. i have an original first generation toyota tercel with 94,000 miles on it. As of today, it is not running, but if you charge the battery it will run for 5-10 minutes (depending on how long it was charged). 100% electrical issue. We drove it to Dallas from Austin and it drove there like a dream but it didn't make it back without a 250 mile tow. We replaced the alternator, belts, and voltage regulator with no luck. You can jump start it and it will run strong, but 5 minutes later the electrical will slowly start going out.

Before the long drive we were experiencing some electrical issues with it and i think they might somehow be related. The cooling fan wouldn't turn on at all and I checked that whole system with no luck in getting it to turn on. So, we wired it to a switch on the inside. It works just fine. It never came close to overheating.

We bought this car as a project and commuter vehicle, but it has proven to be a little too much for us to deal with right now. Parts and information are tricky to find as you all know.

Aside from the electrical issue, there's really only a couple things wrong with it;

Leaks differential fluid from passenger side axle seal (never let it run dry)
Oil leak coming from the pan
Front seats are torn
Paint faded
Fuel sender gauge not working

We took off the old carburetor and replaced it with a weber. We have the original is boxed up and comes with the car.
The original owner put extensive work into this car and i have all of those records. It was very well taken care of.

here is the craigslist ad:
https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/198 ... 57056.html

you can contact me on here or email via craigslist.