This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
Montana646y
My tercel:: 1984 4wd wagon

Post by Montana646y »

Last edited by Montana646y on Thu May 24, 2018 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: 84 wagon for sale..

Post by Petros »

welcome to the forum.

too bad about the engine. do you know the cause of the knock? sounds like bearings? from head area? was it run low on motor oil?

how many miles on the car? what is interior like?

I have replaced the connecting rod bearings on one of these without pulling the engine. removing the oil pan is a bit of trouble, but rod bearings are cheap, less than $20 for the set. if it is the rod bearings, it can be fixed without having to pull the engine.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Montana646y

Post by Montana646y »

Good idea.thanks. Where do I get rod bearings?
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13203&p=101599&hili ... nt#p101599

Also, finding a new engine would not be outside the realm of doable.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

you can order rod bearings at any autoparts store, you will need to know the manufacture date of the car (on the data plate at driver's side door jamb).

or you can order them here, only $4 to $6, plus shipping cost. you might want to also order a pan gasket too, and sealant.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toy ... aring,5212
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Mains would be a good idea if you go that far. At the very least the thrust bearings if it's a manual. They take as much push as the throwout bearing..

A trick to see which cylinder is knocking is to pull one plug wire at a time and see when the noise lessens.
Montana646y

Post by Montana646y »

Thanks for all the info. Petros called it. It was low on oil. Definitely the front rod knocking sounds like a rod bearing but well see If I can slip it in for a quick fix. Its a woods beater so I'm not investing too much in it. Thanks again everyone !
garyfish
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5, stock; 1987 T4WD DLX wagon, manual tranny

Post by garyfish »

not sure if the wagon is off the market now, but its Craigslist ad has a few more details (200K on the odometer) and 4 photos:

https://bozeman.craigslist.org/cto/d/19 ... 66944.html
https://eastidaho.craigslist.org/cto/d/ ... 08132.html

1984 Toyota tercel wagon 4wd - $300 (W.Yellowstone)
New clutch, timing belt, water pump, windshield. Runs but Engine started knocking bad today so I'm parking it till its gone. Comes with 4extra wheels with snow tires. 406 six 4 zero 1nine 3 ate.. Any offer considered
1985 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon, 300K
1987 Tercel DLX 4WD wagon, 6-speed manual, 274K -- got this one running Jan. 2015 (had been sitting for 2 years); this has been my daily driver since 2016
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

you can not really replace the main bearings by dropping the oil pan, the crank has to come out, which means you have to pull the engine. of the many engines I have pulled apart, I have found that the rod bearings almost always give up first, and seldom are the mains bad enough to need replacing. it is not ideal, but it is relatively easy to just replace the connecting rod bearings, and leave the mains.

I supposed you could pull one of the main bearing caps and inspect it, than if it looks okay, replace the cap. But if the mains are shot, you can decided than to either replace the whole engine, or pull it and do a proper complete rebuild.

A number of times I have had engines that had badly worn out rod bearings, and as a quickie repair I just replaced the rod bearings (which suffered the worst), and the engine ran fine without any ill-effects of replacing the rod bearings without doing the mains.

Many decades ago, when I was in high school, I had some older mechanic lecture me on the hazards of not replacing all of the bearings at the same time. that some how the bearings with the less clearance (less worn) would get oil starved. After leaning about lubrication and hydraulics in collage, and many rebuilds later, I could not imagine how that could possibly be so. If the oil pressure is within acceptable limits, the bearings will get the same amount of lubrication no matter if some are worn more than others. Another one of those "old mechanic's tales" of reasonable but incorrect logic.

The mains get much better lubrication since they are lubricated directly through the oil galleys, the connecting rods get lubricated through the passageways in the crank. when the oil is low and you get momentary starvation, the mains usually still get enough lubrication, it is always the #3 and #4 rod bearing that suffer, they are furthermost from the oil pump, and they have almost no reserve lubrication capacity, so it is the first to loose oil pressure, and the last one to get pressure when you cold start it.