T4WD ads on Craigslist, 2/19 thru 3/3/2018 (OR, CO, MO, AZ)

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
garyfish
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5, stock; 1987 T4WD DLX wagon, manual tranny

T4WD ads on Craigslist, 2/19 thru 3/3/2018 (OR, CO, MO, AZ)

Post by garyfish »

My search of Craigslist turned up surprisingly few T4WD ads for the last 2-week period, compared to the listings earlier in 2018. There were several ads for 2WD Tercel wagons but, as usual, I chose not to summarize those for listing here. Have at it, folks.

Listed in order of newer to older ads

PLEASE NOTE that I am not the seller of these vehicles! Please contact the seller through the info provided in each Craigslist ad.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Salem, OR

https://salem.craigslist.org/cto/d/1985 ... 51787.html

1985 Tercel SR5 wagon, lifted, Weber carb, low-mileage 4AC engine, other modifications, 200K on body -- $3300 firm
Date of listing: updated 3/3/18 (first listed about 2/15/18)

1985 Toyota Tercel 4x4. In good condition for its age, body is straight for the most part. Lifted on 4Runner springs, 32/36 Weber carburetor, mr2 14" rims, low mile 4ac swapped in, magnaflow muffler, 2" exhaust, cat delete, 27" general grabbers. 200,000 on body. Comes with a rebuilt head as well. Stand out from all the Subaru wagons with this retro Toyota, with awesome argyle interior and boxy exterior this thing is the embodiment of the 80's. Price is firm, open to trades.

western slope, CO

https://westslope.craigslist.org/cto/d/ ... 81383.html

1983 Tercel DLX wagon, manual tranny, 132K -- $1000
Date of listing: 3/2/18

1983 Toyota Tercel Hatchback, Four wheel drive, only 132,000 miles, five speed manual with an EL (Extra Low)gear, runs great, excellent in the snow, great commuter car, 23 - 26 MPG. Every thing works except the A/C. Just replaced timing belt and pulley tensioner, rear shocks, front suspension bushings, driver side window regulator, New Tires! The Body has rust damage. The front driver seat is torn, the rest of the interior is very clean.

This car is in excellent mechanical shape for its age.

Ask for John (970) 989-0002

Springfield, MO

https://springfield.craigslist.org/cto/ ... 60187.html

1988 Tercel SR5 wagon, 4th gear problem, 198K -- $2400 + extra for parts car and a spare low-mileage tranny
Date of listing: 2/28/18

If the ad is up, it is still for sale.

I have for sale an '88 4x4 Tercel with 198k miles. It runs and drives great, 4WD works perfectly. This has a 5 speed and a differential that selects front wheel or four wheel, with an additional granny low gear. What a neat piece of Toyota history! 80's styling, 4 door, 4WD, and a badass tape deck, all wrapped up in a wagon: awesome!

I have been daily driving this Tercel. It has a new battery, all terrain tires, fuel filter, rebuilt carburetor, wipers front and rear, air filter, clutch (40k miles ago), wheel bearings, and recent oil change. Heat works great, AC could use a charge, but it does work. Interior is clean and in good condition for its age. Exterior has some clear coat pealing, a few spots of surface rust that need touched up (mainly a couple small blisters in the paint around the rear window), but still looks nice and presentable. Only has a tiny spot of rust in the usual rear, lower door area above the rocker; otherwise, its a solid car.

Transmission and transfer case work as they should except for 4th gear. It is weak, but always holds if you can find it (there is a trick). 5th is close ratio to 4th, so it can be driven as is. I just skip 3rd to 5th but to solve this problem, I have several options:
1) Included for the $2400 price is an additional transmission/transfer that has 5th gear out (this one is original to the car); take two and make one.
2) Or, I have a lower mileage transmission and transfer case (approximately 140k miles) I will let go with the car for a total of $2600.
3) I also have a complete parts car I would sell with this car (not for sale separately) for an additional $600... its rusty and dirty, but it will run and drive with a battery. It has a good transmission, transfer case, engine with rebuilt head and rear axle, and a whole lot of useful parts on it.

I have way too many cars at the moment is the reason for the sale. Please keep in mind, this Tercel is now 30 years old. In this area of the country and in this condition, this car is relatively rare. It gets tons of attention. Thanks for looking.

Eugene, OR

https://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/d/4wd ... 12427.html

1983 Tercel DLX wagon, manual tranny, 422K -- $1600
Date of listing: 2/27/18

It is with a heavy heart that I have to sell my trusty Toyota Tercel. I really need a truck these days and can't justify having 2 vehicles.
I absolutely love this car. I bought it a year and a half ago and it had had a TON of recent work done. VIN: JT2AL32W2D0047625

Work done about 2 years ago (25,000 miles ago):
- 100% new rear brakes. new wheel cylinders, shoes, hardware, and drums.
- new front CV axles
- new lower ball joints
- new sway bar/torque arm bushings
- new fuel hose
- new new timing belt and tensioner
- new camshaft seal and front crankshaft seal
- adjusted valves and installed new valve cover gasket
- repaired cooling fan wiring and verified fan functions
- 4 wheel alignment
- 4 brand new tires
- all gear oils changed
- engine oil changed w/toyota oil filter at regular 2500 mile intervals

Work done in the last 6 years:
- clutch replaced
- oil pump re-sealed
- water pump replaced and coolant flushed
- alternator/water pump drive belt
- new radiator
- new brake master cylinder
- new alternator
- exhaust gaskets and muffler
- new ignition coil

PROS:
-100% reliable and fun to drive
-4wd with an extra low granny gear
-28 mpg!
-new bearings in both front wheels about 6 months ago
-easy to work on, cheap parts, lots of great online resources and forums (google "tercel4wd")

CONS:
-422,000 miles (I also see this as "pro" in the sense that it's a testament to how well made it is. These things run forever)
-the interior it's a little rough. Seats all have seat covers and the dash is in good shape, but some of the other plastic components haven't held up as well over 34 years. Especially the driver's side door panel
-leaks oil from the head *cover* gasket (NOT the head gasket). I've never let it run out of oil but you do need to check it and top it off regularly (or you could replace the gasket, I just haven't gotten around to it)
-needs new tires soon, at least in the front if not a whole set
-weak idle when the engine is cold and for about 5 min til it warms up but a carburetor rebuild would go a long way and it runs really smooth once it warms up

This is a great, running, reliable, fun car for someone who doesn't mind a little quirk.

near Flagstaff, AZ

https://flagstaff.craigslist.org/cto/d/ ... 35389.html

1985 Tercel SR5 wagon, 234K -- $2700
Date of listing: 2/26/18

1985 Toyota Tercel Station Wagon, 4 wheel drive, manual, air conditioning, roof rack, 234,272 miles, runs great, original unmolested condition

good tires, interior in good condition

$2700

Call Larry 928-300-5569 POSTED FOR A FRIEND I WILL NOT RESPOND TO EMAILS CALL LARRY

near Portland, OR

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto ... 04222.html

1985 Tercel SR5 wagon, salvage title, 173K -- $3000
Date of listing: 2/26/18

I live on a street with and eighteen (18%) grade; THAT IS STEEP. In all the years, Yoda has never failed to climb the hill. In February, 1996, there was seven inches of snow. In February, 2018, there was four inches of snow. It always climbs the hill. Today's motorcycles make more power than this little four. It has a 1462cc V-4 engine is rated at 62 horsepower and 45 pound feet of torque. Small numbers by today's standards, but those small numbers mean good mileage. Highway mileage is 33 mpg; city is 22 mpg. This from a carbureted (not fuel injected) vehicle.

ON DEMAND four wheel drive...there are two shift levers. One for front wheel to four wheel, and the second for the MANUAL TRANSMISSION. This wagon is a six speed forward and one gear reverse. Ordinarily, it is a five speed forward; there is a COMPOUND LOW which only works IN FOUR WHEEL DRIVE.

My mother purchased this car from Murray & Holt in Bend, Oregon in 1985. I inherited it from her. Options include: air conditioning, moon roof, CB radio.

Complete set of maintenance records including the original purchase documents (1985). New clutch installed in July, 2017.
My mother was T-boned 15 year ago and insisted on repairing (rather than total) the car. Therefore, the title is salvage.

near Medford, OR

https://medford.craigslist.org/cto/d/84 ... 49434.html

1984 Tercel SR5 wagon, 212K -- $900 obo
Date of listing: 2/20/18

This is your chance to own a legend. Ultra rare two-tone tercel with plaid seats!!

Runs and drives. Motor is super strong. Interior in pretty good shape considering, but not perfect.

5 speed manual + granny gear. (You can tell chicks it's a 6 speed.) Real 4wd, which works well. Not to be confused with wussy Subaru "awd".

Could use a loving touch. Hard to start in the cold sometimes due to an issue with the choke, but fires up right away with a little starting fluid and when it's warmed up.

Also needs an alignment and new tires. No spare tire or jack.

Body is pretty good too, somebody started a couple minor bondo repairs but other than that it's straight.

$900/obo

Clean Oregon title, registration thru 5/19

Text legitimate questions if you like, but I don't respond to anything that sounds like a robot

Last edited by garyfish on Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1985 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon, 300K
1987 Tercel DLX 4WD wagon, 6-speed manual, 274K -- got this one running Jan. 2015 (had been sitting for 2 years); this has been my daily driver since 2016
AlbertaBeef
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel 4wd stock

Re: T4WD ads on Craigslist, 2/19 thru 3/3/2018 (OR, CO, MO, AZ)

Post by AlbertaBeef »

If I didn't know my wife would kill me for getting another tercel, I'd go down and grab that beauty in Salem right freaking now.