'86 T4WD for sale in Glastonbury, CT

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

'86 T4WD for sale in Glastonbury, CT

Post by ARCHINSTL »

EDIT - these posts were moved from the FAQ Forum to the correct Forum

Post by Jamie Buckingham » 13 Feb 2018 08:42 pm
yeah I have a 1986 Toyota Tercel wagon all wheel drive all track with 85000 original miles perfect condition no dents no rust was a one-owner car I want to sell it

My tercel:: 1986 wagon with 85000 original miles one owner water from the dealership

Post by Jamie Buckingham » 13 Feb 2018 08:46 pm
beautiful little 1986 all Trac wagon 5 speed air conditioning only 85000 original miles one owner car no rust all original no dents it's been sitting in my yard for 5 years and it's got to go$2,500 firm no exceptions cash only Glastonbury Connecticut name is James 860-368-8507
Last edited by Jamie Buckingham on 13 Feb 2018 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Jamie Buckingham » 13 Feb 2018 09:51 pm
how much is my beautiful little car worth show Christine and patina but completely working after all these years I just think this is a beautiful car it wasn't ever driven by me but everybody that did drive it said it went anywhere in the snow!!! never been tinkered with New Jersey title from original owner

Post by Mattel » 13 Feb 2018 11:14 pm
Hi Jamie, Maybe post some photos and tell us about the rust and any other issues.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
stanrob
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Two 1985 Tercel SR5 4WD, Cal. emission controls, one now a parts car (good engine & transmission, still had full power at 310K), another, a low-rust project car, with 307k miles, from Petros

Re: '86 T4WD for sale in Glastonbury, CT

Post by stanrob »

I live only 90 miles from Glastonbury CT and would like to give up on the T4WD with 302,000 miles that Petros sold and delivered to me last year for $2700. It came with so many things wrong that really matter!

So I called Jamie to check this out. I don't doubt his integrity, but Jamie is NOT a car person. As you can see, his price had gone down to $2500. In the call that's when I learned his miles are 89K, not 55K as published in craigslist. Now, as you can also see from this posting, I learned that he has NEVER driven this car. The woman he is selling for paid $1500 and NEVER drove it, never even had it on the road. It has no battery. Recently he lent it a battery, poured gas into the carburetor and some in the tank, and got it to start right up ... but it wouldn't stay running. He is under the impression that all the vac hoses break down long before now, and the quick solution is some kind of $300 carburetion/emission package.

I feel like I've already struck bottom with the Petros deal. The paucity of knowledge about this newer, less used one, being sold for profit, but seemingly irresistible, still scares me away. He has others expressing interest.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

So - "Jamie" is merely a "flipper," huh?
Cool ... :roll:
Wonder his commish ...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Jarf
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Currently without

Post by Jarf »

I only did a quick scan of your posts but I don't see anything particularly daunting about your current ride.
I don't know Petros, but do have a lot of respect for him, not only his knowledge but his willingness to help out others.
Reading your above comments I can't help but have the feeling that you are unhappy with the deal and feel he took advantage.
Perhaps I have misinterpreted your message.
Personally, $2700 for a running and driving T4 delivered to the opposite coast sounds like the deal of a lifetime to me.

As for the car in Glastonbury.
SO many red flags, why would you even think about it.
I can ignore typo's all day long (55K vs 85K) but when none of the info adds up, something is terribly wrong:

He bought it 5 yrs ago, never drove it and it is "completely working", BUT, it won't stay running????
He doesn't own it, but some other women does, and SHE never drove it ????
While neither he, nor the mystery woman have driven it, "many others have"??
The ownership was never transferred from the previous owner??
(Maybe the US is different but up here that would mean it was never properly registered, licensed or insured)
For the record, it can only be a one owner car if it is still owned by the original purchaser, period.

It has "no rust" yet has been sitting outside, unused in Jersey winters for 5 yrs
"$300 carburation/emmission package", If that is truly all it needs, why wouldn't he invest that $300, then be able to sell it for SO much more???

Any car that has been left exposed and unused for 5 yrs is going to need significant amounts of $$$/TLC to get up and running.
You think you have issues now? buy this car and you will fall in love with your current ride.

I wouldn't waste the time going to see it, but if you can't resist temptation, then by all means go see it.
Maybe it will turn out to be the real deal but I highly doubt it.
I would also want to take a friend with me, preferably a knowledgable one.
stanrob
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Two 1985 Tercel SR5 4WD, Cal. emission controls, one now a parts car (good engine & transmission, still had full power at 310K), another, a low-rust project car, with 307k miles, from Petros

Post by stanrob »

I realize I should clarify why my experience buying from Petros was disastrous. There is no question that Petros is knowledgeable and, above all, extremely generous with his time on this board. The problem starts with my decreasing ability to tackle difficult repair issues at age 77, and Petros fabulous offer of a "fixed-up" 85T4WD. Boy did I love that offer! His price was good, too. In fact, he raised it after I thought we had agreed on the deal, and that was OK too. But it turned out that we had very different ideas on what "fixed-up" means. I thought it meant ready to put on the road, at least, or in any case, telling me in advance what else needs work so I can think about it.

I was all ready to celebrate when he arrived. It came across the country at 80mph, he says. But the moment he arrived, the surprises began. It's beautiful, but it couldn't have passed MA inspection because of depleted muffler and nonfunctioning horn, front turn indicators, and license plate light. Not affecting inspection: Rear wiper dead. Driver door latch hangs up. The engine balks beyond usability until warmed 5+ minutes. Shortly thereafter, my list of unhappy surprises grew to 30+ items. I have cleared up two (I hope).

It was too much. I had work to do and deadlines to meet. I had to put car issues on the back burner. Almost a year later, It's still not officially on the road, and I'm wondering whether it'll ever get there. And of course I'm wary about getting another one from a guy who demonstrates almost no car knowledge.
Jamie Buckingham
My tercel:: 1986 wagon with 85000 original miles one owner water from the dealership

Post by Jamie Buckingham »

actually my best friend's daughter paid $1,500 for it 3 years ago and never drove it and it's at here and it hasn't been moved so we're trying to give her back the $1,500 that you paid for it so we can buy a trailer for our construction business that's the truth it's a beautiful car it's just been sitting there and it starts right up and everything
stanrob
Top Notch Member

Post by stanrob »

I am wavering.
Does anyone reading this have a PDF of the 86 Repair Manual, or know for sure that my 85 manual applies?
(Anticipating a possible need to study those carburetor and emission controls.)
Would anyone be interested in buying my rust-free 85 infinite-project T4WD, mentioned above? That would help vindicate Petros's efforts finding it, doing what fixing he did, and bringing it here.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

NOTE TO JAMIE BUCKINGHAM: DO NOT POST NON-FAQ REMARKS IN THAT FORUM!
Newest post made there - which I deleted:
Re: FAQ for 4wd tercels and this site
Unread post by Jamie Buckingham » 15 Feb 2018 09:51 pm

how do I post some pictures of my 86 to sell all Trac wagon to show you the title and the odometer title says 55 thousand from a dealership in New Jersey so the actual odometer reads 85000 sorry for the confusion
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

stan,

I drove that Tercel across 12 states and almost 5000 miles, it never gave me any major problems. A lot of the ones I knew about I fixed as my time allowed. I had cautioned you that buying a 34 year old car will always take a lot of minor repairs, all that I was aware of are minor. Replacing the turn signal light is a minor issue, I was working on that for you but ran out of time to finish it before I left, and let you know. I had told you about everything thing, including the lights, that I knew about it, in great detail long before you agreed to buy it.

The problem with the coil occurred only after I arrived in Boston, it never gave me any starting issues at all the 4 months I owned and drove it in Jaunary across three mountain states, started right up in below freezing weather in the winter mountains of Nevada. Even so, the coil is a relatively easy and inexpensive fix.

Now you are giving up on it just because you need a sensor? I have located three in my parts bins, and I have been meaning to test them so I can varify at lease one is good before I send it to you at no charge.

About the price, you seem to have forgotten, I have our emails saved if you want a reminder: locally I could have gotten an easy $2500. for it as it sat. I offered it to you for $1500, and you were considering paying over that much to have it shipped. So I offered to deliver to you for just the cost of bring it to you, which added about anther $1000 (still less than you could have had it shipped). I made no money on it, I lost a week worth of income to deliver to you at my costs (over a $1000 on average).

You never had to agree to any of it, considering you did not heed my warning about purchasing a 35 year old car, I do not know what else you expected from me. My own daily driver needs constant minor fixes (and occationally not so minor, in the last six months it needed a new clutch and a head gasket).

Did you think I am clairvoyant and know what other issues you might have a year later? Even if you took that car into a local repair shop for professional repairs, it still would have cost you far less than the typical routine "tune up" of most newer vehicles. They are typically in the $400 to $800 range for each visit. A friend of mine has a late model lexus, he took it to the dealer for an oil change, alingment check, ad they also replaced the surpantine belt, it cost him over $700. he is about ready to pay me my regular billing rate of $175/hr to do his routine maintenance. It would save him money.

If you are disenclined to do your own repairs are a vintage car, than you should either consider something newer, and pay the consequences, or just use the many fine public transportation systems you all pay for in your state.

I honestly do not know what else I could have done for you. there is no warranty with an old used car, yet I have continued to help you keep it running, spending a lot of time with you on many emails, and offering any spare parts I have for free.

If you are going to complain about your troubles on a public forum, please at least describe it accurately.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)