1983 4wd SR5 Wagon in Durango Colorado

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
oldfaithful
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel 4WD

Re: 1983 4wd SR5 Wagon in Durango Colorado

Post by oldfaithful »

As dependable as these cars are, I always carry some things that could fail on long trips, cars don’t have to be old to have parts quit working, anything mechanical can and will stop working at some point, and like Petro says, I carry a little tool pack with me under the front seat. When my wife and I drove across the country back in 2011 we saw lots of “NEW” cars being put on flat deck towing trucks or broken down on the side of the road,us old Tercel drivers are so lucky to drive one of, maybe even the best car that was ever built,and they are so simple to work on.
Weaselspeed
My tercel:: 1986 SR5 stock

Post by Weaselspeed »

How much are you asking for the wheels? More of a curiosity really. I'm hunting for a set up here in Alaska so I can put some gnarlier tires on my little snow pig.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

simple to work on really helps. I have replaced head gaskets, cv axles, struts, suspension parts, and done other major repairs while on road trips, usually in a parking lot, or a friends, or some kind person's driveway. I once picked up a rescue car in New Mexico, drove it across Texas with a leaky head gasket, than back to California where I visit my parents for a few days. I decided to replace the head gasket since it was nice and warm, and cold in rainy back home. while I was at it I replaced the master cylinder, brakes a few other parts, I only lost one day (my eldrly mother was happy to have me stay another day), and it was something I was going to have to do when I got back anyway.

On another trip, which my wife came along for the ride, I replaced the brakes, distributor, alternator, radiator and hoses, and eventually, all four tires, while driving it 3000 miles back home. We took it in stride, the car came with a lot of spare parts (but still had to buy some along the way). I visited family members and friends along the way, made a few unplanned stops too. I joked with my wife that by the time we get back it will have all new parts on it, and make it easier to sell at a good price. In the end I did okay, even with the unplanned repairs, I jacked the price up because four brand new tires would certainly add value (on the way, first one separated, than another, and a third was not looking safe, used up two spare tires and did not want to risk any more blow outs).

All repairs were done with a small bag of hand tools I brought alone.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)